Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man (resized).png
    Mall Rats Fly fat ass (resized).jpeg
    dune 1984 pg2 (resized).jpg
    dune 1984 pg1 (resized).jpg
    8707435 (resized).jpg
    Cymek (resized).jpg
    weapon of choice (resized).jpg

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 2 years ago

I watched Dune last night.

Do not waste 2 plus hours of your life watching this movie.

Horribly slow and incoherent. I read the books so I knew what was going on but if you had not read the books you will be totally lost and bored..I was just completely bored and to make it worse it isn't even a complete movie. It cuts off to make way for a part 2.

This one makes the 1982 version look stellar.

#2 2 years ago

Yeah been falling asleep also

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Horribly slow and incoherent. I read the books so I knew what was going on but if you had not read the books you will be totally lost and bored..I was just completely bored and to make it worse it isn't even a complete movie. It cuts off to make way for a part 2.

OMG....good to know. I love the book, and the old movie was awesome back in the day. Glad you saved me the movie theater prices. I will stream it next year for cheap just to see how bad they f#$ked it up...

#4 2 years ago

Don't care what anyone says. Love the books, will be seeing this hopefully in IMAX as soon as I can.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

OMG....good to know. I love the book, and the old movie was awesome back in the day. Glad you saved me the movie theater prices. I will stream it next year for cheap just to see how bad they f#$ked it up...

I was so excited to see this movie, unbelievable waste of an opportunity.

#6 2 years ago

I've been reading posts online from people who say that the movie is awesome. I'll stream it on HBO on Saturday and hopefully enjoy it.

#7 2 years ago

'Critics' seem to be liking it so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dune_2021

One thing I didn't know is that this is Part 1 of a 2 Part movie release. And I think that the best parts of the story are in 'part 2' ...

#8 2 years ago

So a Dune movie was "Too Slow" huh?

So a Villinuve film was "Too Slow" huh?
    Etc

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-hype-dune-pinball-hype

#9 2 years ago

Dup Post....sorry

#10 2 years ago

I am trying to read the book right now... I find it incredibly slow (I am like halfway through it). I very rarely have trouble finishing books, but man I am struggling with Dune. I wanted to read the book prior to seeing the movie. Now I am wondering if it is even worth it.

#11 2 years ago

Trailer looks good .

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Thanks for the warning. I still plan to stream it on HBO Max but I'm keeping my expectations low now.

#13 2 years ago

The book is one of my favorite stories of all time. I have IMAX tickets for Thursday night with some friends. Am I expecting miracles? Certainly not, but I hope it's a faithful adaptation.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am trying to read the book right now... I find it incredibly slow (I am like halfway through it). I very rarely have trouble finishing books, but man I am struggling with Dune. I wanted to read the book prior to seeing the movie. Now I am wondering if it is even worth it.

Check out CBG19 on YouTube. She did a Dune book club series a few years ago that explains every chapter. It definitely helped me through the book because I struggled with it at first too. Definitely worth checking out if you want to continue with the book.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

First time i seen the 1st one i fell asleep and thought it sucked. However in the end , it was stellar . And even better now with this one that came out. it was horrible .

The Sci Fi series one was better than this Sheet performance , Who even will go to part two ?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

First time i seen the 1st one i fell asleep and thought it sucked. However in the end , it was stellar . And even better now with this one that came out. it was horrible .
    The Sci Fi series one was better than this Sheet performance , Who even will go to part two ?

No idea who will go see part 2. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

No idea who will go see part 2. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

WOW...that bad huh?

#18 2 years ago

Dune is like Lord of the Rings dense, not a book for someone who’s not going to really dive into it and work for it. And who wants to work for something that’s supposed to be fun?
    I dig the Lynch movie, but it helps if you’ve read the book. Sounds like this is the same.

If you’re still the slightest bit interested in the story, check out the sciFi channel version that came out around 2000. Certainly lesser in the special effects department but they made
    Some good decisions to change minor things for adapting the story to a visual medium. Poor Denis, he may never get his part 2.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dune is like Lord of the Rings dense, not a book for someone who’s not going to really dive into it and work for it. And who wants to work for something that’s supposed to be fun?
    I dig the Lynch movie, but it helps if you’ve read the book. Sounds like this is the same.
    If you’re still the slightest bit interested in the story, check out the sciFi channel version that came out around 2000. Certainly lesser in the special effects department but they made
    Some good decisions to change minor things for adapting the story to a visual medium. Poor Denis, he may never get his part 2.

It is exactly like the Lynch movie but way slower and music isn't as good. What is even more amazing is the character development is worse than the Lynch version..It's crazy that they only dragged out the scenes and developed the characters less...Completely baffling..lol

#20 2 years ago

I liked the Lynch movie and have heard lots of good things about this, so I'm staying hopeful.

There are no movies to look forward to besides this and Top Gun 2 anyways.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:I liked the Lynch movie and have heard lots of good things about this, so I'm staying hopeful.

That and maybe the Matrix.

#22 2 years ago

Me and friend watched it a few days ago and we both liked it. We knew beforehand that this was part 1 of 2 and that the first movie is more of a build-up/setting the scene for all the action in the second.

If one knows nothing about it and expects a high-speed action movie then they will be very disappointed. This is more like the latest blade runner movie with great atmosphere, nice panoramas and soothing music.

We will definitely go see part 2 also.

#23 2 years ago

Dune, AKA 3 4-page Knife Fights of Consequence and a Whole Lotta Not Much Else

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

Clearly you didn't read and/or don't understand the book.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Me and friend watched it a few days ago and we both liked it. We knew beforehand that this was part 1 of 2 and that the first movie is more of a build-up/setting the scene for all the action in the second.
    If one knows nothing about it and expects a high-speed action movie then they will be very disappointed. This is more like the latest blade runner movie with great atmosphere, nice panoramas and soothing music.
    We will definitely go see part 2 also.

I loved the latest Bladerunner movie...This was not anywhere close for me.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Clearly you didn't read and/or don't understand the book.

it's dated, plodding, and sparse

#27 2 years ago

Doubled down and just bought IMAX tickets.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

You can really get into it. Or not. It’s just one of those things that will be different for everyone. It’s best to read the entire original trilogy to get an idea of the scope of the whole thing. Then you can branch out from there if the universe and philosophical ideas are of interest. I’ve read the trilogy quite a few times, plus all of the associated novels including those by his son multiple times, including going back and rereading all of it in chronological order as shown here. There’s lots of cool stuff, some slow stuff, etc, but I enjoyed the scope of the whole thing.

https://dunenovels.com/chronological-order-of-dune-books/

I do fear that it is something that simply cannot be transferred to the cinema concept. It seems unlikely that people who have never read it would enjoy it, and fans of the book will probably never be satisfied. So if you are making that film, it seems you are doomed by a double whammy. I am dreading seeing it because I don’t want to be disappointed yet again.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

It is exactly like the Lynch movie but way slower and music isn't as good. What is even more amazing is the character development is worse than the Lynch version..It's crazy that they only dragged out the scenes and developed the characters less...Completely baffling..lol

Oh my god. The music in the Lynch version is one of the best things about it! That is totally insane. And I thought Villenueve did a great job with Blade Runner.

Just looked up who wrote Dune: Jon Spaihts. That says it all right there. He wrote "Prometheus". I'm out.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

Ok that made me laugh. There is definitely a LOT of inner monologuing. And knife fights. Guess what? Herbert is a huge influence on George R R Martin! SHOCKER!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh my god. The music in the Lynch version is one of the best things about it! That is totally insane. And I thought Villenueve did a great job with Blade Runner.
    Just looked up who wrote Dune: Jon Spaihts. That says it all right there. He wrote "Prometheus". I'm out.

That's what I am saying, The music in the Lynch version was awesome. This new version is like non existent. I loved the music in the new Blade Runner.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And who wants to work for something that’s supposed to be fun?

Haha, doesn’t this sound like pinball?

Work to learn rule sets, work to pay crazy prices for a pin, dedicate rooms/basements to pinball, move machines in and out of collections, go to tournaments etc etc.

Pinball is work.

#33 2 years ago

The Original Holds up to time.
    Would like to see it in Imax 3 -D

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Haha, doesn’t this sound like pinball?
    Work to learn rule sets, work to pay crazy prices for a pin, dedicate rooms/basements to pinball, move machines in and out of collections, go to tournaments etc etc.
    Pinball is work.

LOL! Ok you got me there

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

You can really get into it. Or not. It’s just one of those things that will be different for everyone. It’s best to read the entire original trilogy to get an idea of the scope of the whole thing. Then you can branch out from there if the universe and philosophical ideas are of interest. I’ve read the trilogy quite a few times, plus all of the associated novels including those by his son multiple times, including going back and rereading all of it in chronological order as shown here. There’s lots of cool stuff, some slow stuff, etc, but I enjoyed the scope of the whole thing.
    https://dunenovels.com/chronological-order-of-dune-books/
    I do fear that it is something that simply cannot be transferred to the cinema concept. It seems unlikely that people who have never read it would enjoy it, and fans of the book will probably never be satisfied. So if you are making that film, it seems you are doomed by a double whammy. I am dreading seeing it because I don’t want to be disappointed yet again.

I am struggling with the writing style. Since it is considered a masterpiece I was expecting it to be more crisp and well paced. I can follow the story, but for me, it hasn't turned into a real page-turner.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

So basically it’s exactly the same as the first Dune movie? Except shorter?

They should stop making Dune movies.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So basically it’s exactly the same as the first Dune movie? Except shorter?
    They should stop making Dune movies.

Longer but only to draw it out more. I wouldn’t mind as much if it developed the characters more but it developed them less..lol

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am struggling with the writing style. Since it is considered a masterpiece I was expecting it to be more crisp and well paced. I can follow the story, but for me, it hasn't turned into a real page-turner.

Remember it was written in the early 60s and published only a few years later. It’s not a 2021-era focus group AI masterpiece ever read A Song of Fire and Ice? THATS slow

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

It generally doesn't go that route (fast action page-turner). Although it picks up a bit as you get to the end of the first book, and then onward to the next 2 books of the trilogy. There are some cool adventures in there. Then, you have God Emperor of Dune, well, you have to slug through that one.

I know so many people that just love the Lord of the Rings trilogy and have read it many times. They keep telling me I must read it all, same kind of reason, because its a masterpiece. I have tried it multiple times, and have never been able to get halfway through the first one. Something about it just doesn't agree with me, sometimes that's just the way it is.

There are a few different reasons Dune might be considered a masterpiece, such as, the development of the entire alternate universe, or, a vast treatment of the impact of religion on humankind. These things are big in scope and so it takes a while to develop them, and you are also sorting through all of the new words, terminology, and concepts which are numerous, as well as different groups of characters (family lines) from different planets, but eventually start to gel together in your head as you go through it. When you start to see and appreciate the majestic scope of what he has imagined and then put together into these stories, then the idea of a masterpiece starts to show.

Quoted from kciaccio:

Longer but only to draw it out more. I wouldn’t mind as much if it developed the characters more but it developed them less..lol

This is not a good sign. Even though as I just said above the story encompasses an entire universe and tons of people, at the same time it is about an investment into the core group of characters. I think you absolutely must have some investment with the individual characters, good or evil, to get everything built up. If you can't get into Duncan Idaho, for example, and really understand and feel his character rather than him just being a badass with a sword, then there is a pretty big problem if you want to develop the entire storyline into a franchise similar to the Marvel universe.

Also, how are you all seeing the movie right now? I thought it is coming out on Friday?

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It generally doesn't go that route (fast action page-turner). Although it picks up a bit as you get to the end of the first book, and then onward to the next 2 books of the trilogy. There are some cool adventures in there. Then, you have God Emperor of Dune, well, you have to slug through that one.
    I know so many people that just love the Lord of the Rings trilogy and have read it many times. They keep telling me I must read it all, same kind of reason, because its a masterpiece. I have tried it multiple times, and have never been able to get halfway through the first one. Something about it just doesn't agree with me, sometimes that's just the way it is.
    There are a few different reasons Dune might be considered a masterpiece, such as, the development of the entire alternate universe, or, a vast treatment of the impact of religion on humankind. These things are big in scope and so it takes a while to develop them, and you are also sorting through all of the new words, terminology, and concepts which are numerous, as well as different groups of characters (family lines) from different planets, but eventually start to gel together in your head as you go through it. When you start to see and appreciate the majestic scope of what he has imagined and then put together into these stories, then the idea of a masterpiece starts to show.

This is not a good sign. Even though as I just said above the story encompasses an entire universe and tons of people, at the same time it is about an investment into the core group of characters. I think you absolutely must have some investment with the individual characters, good or evil, to get everything built up. If you can't get into Duncan Idaho, for example, and really understand and feel his character rather than him just being a badass with a sword, then there is a pretty big problem if you want to develop the entire storyline into a franchise similar to the Marvel universe.
    Also, how are you all seeing the movie right now? I thought it is coming out on Friday?

I have a Delorean with a tiny bit of plutonium I use on special occasions.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I have a Delorean with a tiny bit of plutonium I use on special occasions.

I need one of those.

#42 2 years ago

I forgot to ask how the OP saw the movie? Is there a Houston area film festival it was showing at? The reviews I’ve seen have been pretty positive - mostly European writers so likely not just studio shills.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Just give up, unless you're enjoying it. These two movies are likely covering Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. If you can't even get through the first book, you have no hope of finishing the other two to give you the understanding of the movies you'd be looking for. Herbert's writing is exceptionally dry, it's not for everyone.

If you want some Dune stories that aren't so dry, I highly recommend the Butlierian Jihad trilogy that his son Brian co-wrote.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

how the OP saw the movie

Well, my prick ex-felon-probably-still-a-felon-just-not-arrested-again-yet brother texted me a photo of him watching a pirated version yesterday, so they're out there. Movie's been out for a while outside the US...

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I liked the Lynch movie and have heard lots of good things about this, so I'm staying hopeful.

Ghostbusters is looking good

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Well, my prick ex-felon-probably-still-a-felon-just-not-arrested-again-yet brother texted me a photo of him watching a pirated version yesterday, so they're out there. Movie's been out for a while outside the US...

checking... Yep... you are absolutely correct.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Just give up, unless you're enjoying it. These two movies are likely covering Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. If you can't even get through the first book, you have no hope of finishing the other two to give you the understanding of the movies you'd be looking for. Herbert's writing is exceptionally dry, it's not for everyone.
    If you want some Dune stories that aren't so dry, I highly recommend the Butlierian Jihad trilogy that his son Brian co-wrote.

My understanding is that this first movie covers about one half of Dune. Then the second one would cover the second half. To go beyond that to the second and third novels you would have to have enough success to start on a franchise. It’s a bit early still but I think the odds aren’t great for even the next movie. I would love to see it go onwards, there is new action and interesting new characters to be had for Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. But these types of movies require spending in the 100-200 million range or more for a single movie. Dune needs to turn over Avengers-type box office to justify spending that money. Like, approaching 1B.

I like all of Brian’s novels. I know some Dune fanatics don’t like them but they are just a bunch of poop heads. I think he did an interesting job of backfilling all those things that are in the original novel that are just there but not really explained. Like why there is no big computer technology in the whole universe, which is covered in your recommendation. I think there are some potentially good movies to be had within that Butlerian Jihad, lots of action with the robots and such.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My understanding is that this first movie covers about one half of Dune. Then the second one would cover the second half. To go beyond that to the second and third novels you would have to have enough success to start on a franchise. It’s a bit early still but I think the odds aren’t great for even the next movie. I would love to see it go onwards, there is new action and interesting new characters to be had for Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

If they're seriously only covering the actual Dune book with TWO movies.... I just lost most of my interest. That book is NOT that long. There's not enough material there to support 5-6 hours of screen time, IMHO.

Sci-Fi channel did a decent job with Messiah and CoD back in the day, but it was horribly marred by a tiny budget, terrible greenscreen effects, and some *really* bizarre costuming choices that looked like a shroom trip compared to Lynch's movie! Still, the acting was pretty good, and the story pretty faithful, I felt.

I was a friend of Jamis.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If they're seriously only covering the actual Dune book with TWO movies.... I just lost most of my interest. That book is NOT that long. There's not enough material there to support 5-6 hours of screen time, IMHO.
    Sci-Fi channel did a decent job with Messiah and CoD back in the day, but it was horribly marred by a tiny budget, terrible greenscreen effects, and some *really* bizarre costuming choices that looked like a shroom trip compared to Lynch's movie! Still, the acting was pretty good, and the story pretty faithful, I felt.
    I was a friend of Jamis.

SciFi version was decent, to me the failing was in the portrayal of Paul. He came across as somewhat of a whiney person. That's not right at all. Since he is the central character, it kind of ruined the whole thing for me.

The trick here is figuring out how to translate the story to the movie concept, and get it to work right, be interesting to watch, and be timely. Its no easy task with this story, but I think it could be done. If you build out the all the different characters it could take some time. You can mix in some good fighting and such to keep it going. I remember when I first saw the first movie in 84, I was sitting there watching as it progressed and thinking to myself, well, this isn't bad. Overall things look good, the characters are well-played, and it is following along in the story nicely. Then something hit me - we are way into the 2 hour running time, and we have barely covered maybe the first third of the story. There is no possible way they can continue the story at this pace and get to the ending. And sure enough, that was the demise of that movie with that horrible finish.

I was a friend of Jamis.

But I was not a fan of the weirding module.

And always remember, walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm.

weapon of choice (resized).jpgweapon of choice (resized).jpg

#49 2 years ago

Yes, the actor for Paul in the Sci-Fi miniseries was...uh....well lets just say I was glad to see him mostly gone in Children of Dune LOL. Alec Newman wasn't the best, but man, does William Hurt *ever* suck at anything?

#50 2 years ago

Didn't Herbert say at one point he thought the book was unadaptable? Either way, the reviews seem to be polarizing. Audiences either loved it or hated it. I'll let y'all know on Friday what I thought. Going to see it on the big screen at the local IMAX Thursday night.

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-2021-?hl=splitcms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.