Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man (resized).png
    Mall Rats Fly fat ass (resized).jpeg
    dune 1984 pg2 (resized).jpg
    dune 1984 pg1 (resized).jpg
    8707435 (resized).jpg
    Cymek (resized).jpg
    weapon of choice (resized).jpg
    There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Read an article yesterday where DeV pretty much said that all the political stuff is largely missing because he wanted to focus more on the emotional part.
    .......so basically, you shit on the book to make a movie that might have a chance to get a larger audience. Fine, but this movie isn't all that good, IMO. And frankly, at this point, if my kid didn't want to go see it in a theater, and we hadn't already promised to take him......I wouldn't be going. Dune *is* political intrigue and scheming. I was not impressed. Chalamet actually had a few surprising good moments, Drax is still Drax, Aquaman is still Aquaman (or Ronan if you're a SG-1 person).
    I could go on and on and on about things I did not like with this movie. I'd be here for longer than the movie runs. I think the best way I can summarize my feelings is what I told my wife:
    "I didn't have to be convinced that I wanted more from the Lynch movie or the Sci-Fi miniseries. I'm not sure I care if there's any more of this."

I am late to the party but had to comment.

You've captured the key thing that made this movie a lot of "meh" for me. Mind you, I am an absolutely fanatical fan of the book to the point where I re-read it at least twice a year. [I don't have any tattoos. However if I ever got one, it would probably be the "only I will remain" line from the litany.]

Totally agree that Dune IS politics. I basically had to re-explain the significance of everything to my husband after the movie (he hasn't read the book in years). There are other factors that contributed to this being a "meh". But we'd be here all day if I had to list them.

The movie was beautiful to look at but it was not the Dune I know and love.

#252 2 years ago

I thought the new movie was quite good. The visuals and special effects were tremendous. The acting was…ok, but much better than almost every Star Wars movie. I thought they did a decent job of addressing the “how do we fit 30 hrs of story into two 2.5 hr movies?” issue. Plot moved along at a decent pace and seemed like a newb would be able to follow the storyline. Lots of Lawrence of Arabia, Blade Runner, and of course, Lynch’s Dune influence is evident and that’s a good thing. Looking forward to part II.

2 years later
    #253 50 days ago

Bump to the top boys! Go see Dune2

#254 50 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Bump to the top boys! Go see Dune2

Agreed. Amazing film.

#255 49 days ago

I enjoyed Part II a little more despite the obvious departures from the book. I thought the pace of the second movie was better.

#256 49 days ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I enjoyed Part II a little more despite the obvious departures from the book. I thought the pace of the second movie was better.

I mean, having a toddler kill the emperor was always dumb to me. I also feel that the Fremen were way too quick to accept Paul as their messiah. I feel some of the changes were not terrible and rather enjoyed them.

#257 49 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I also feel that the Fremen were way too quick to accept Paul as their messiah

This is a big one. They condensed 3 years of time into 6 months, so it felt a little rushed. I understand why they had to do it for the movie though. And yes other changes I thought were done really well. Overall, I'd say 8/10. It was a feast for the eyes.

3 weeks later
    #258 27 days ago

Bump bump, I get to see 2 soon.

#259 27 days ago

My wife and I really enjoyed it.

#260 27 days ago

If you can go see it in 70mm, trust me, it’s worth the extra effort!

#261 27 days ago

I'm excited to get this on 4k bluray. Saw it twice in theaters.

#262 27 days ago

I really loved it, they've done a great job with both Part 1 and 2 - now, you do have to know what Dune is before you go. But it's well done. I still like the Children of Dune for the soundtrack, have to go back and listen to the soundtrack again for these two.

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-2021-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.