Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man (resized).png
    Mall Rats Fly fat ass (resized).jpeg
    dune 1984 pg2 (resized).jpg
    dune 1984 pg1 (resized).jpg
    8707435 (resized).jpg
    Cymek (resized).jpg
    weapon of choice (resized).jpg
    There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

The spice is not worm droppings. The spice is made by sandtrout that excrete it to trap moisture under the sand. Eventually when the trout mature into worms the clutch erupts into a bloom onto the surface of the sand.

It is, it's worm waste:

"The spice is a by-product of Shai-Hulud's gestation cycle. The great worms begin their life as a being that is as much plant as animal, known as the Little Makers. Each one may as well be a colony of plankton, which seeks and traps moisture in the sands deep below the dessert with a multitude of them acting together as a membrane that contains the mixture. Their waste reacts with the water and sand and creates a gaseous fermentation process that brews the spice and when enough pressure is accumulated, blows it all over the surface of the dessert. The adult sandworms then feed on the melange, and begin the process over again"

I know its reddit but these guys are Dune nerds
    https://amp.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/b9q2u2/is_spice_worm_poop/

#202 2 years ago

True, its made by sandtrout excreting it to trap moisture. It is not worm shit. I’m one of the Dune nerds if you couldn’t tell already

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Agree to disagree. If you want to hold the reins, you have the responsibility for the final product.
    I don't know if Lynch made a better adaptation of the book or not. I really need to re-read it before I settle on a final judgement of this new movie. I do know that Lynch made a more ENTERTAINING and visually compelling world that made sense in the themes of the book.
    At any rate....part 2's been greenlit.

Respectfully, in all but a few cases, the producer is the final say. Almost no directors have what’s called “final cut”. The buck stops with the producer, who is responsible for financing, the budget, the final product, etc. if something is really bad they have a responsibility to tell the director.

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Respectfully, in all but a few cases, the producer is the final say. Almost no directors have what’s called “final cut”. The buck stops with the producer, who is responsible for financing, the budget, the final product, etc. if something is really bad they have a responsibility to tell the director.

Okay, fine. Then we're in agreement that Oscar Issac was handicapped then.

Awesome.

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

True, its made by sandtrout excreting it to trap moisture. It is not worm shit. I’m one of the Dune nerds if you

True, its made by sandtrout excreting it to trap moisture. It is not worm shit. I’m one of the Dune nerds if you couldn’t tell already
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"b99f0cbb6009e39eb228e90312ba25297a8cd194-1635279624-1800"};
    //]]>

I wouldn't argue that. But in this case you need to read that passage again...this time with attention to the "waste" part

#206 2 years ago

OK, but is there one thing we can all agree on?

I thought the ornithopters were PERFECT! Total design win.

Later,
    EV

P.S. Good summary of the attempts to properly visualize a 'thopter...
    https://www.thecompanion.app/2021/10/24/dune-ornithopter/

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay, fine. Then we're in agreement that Oscar Issac was handicapped then.
    Awesome.

LOL

#208 2 years ago

Dune Part Two. 10/20/23

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I wouldn't argue that. But in this case you need to read that passage again...this time with attention to the "waste" part

CO2 is a waste product of breathing but i wouldn’t call it shit. Not the point tho, the point is it doesn’t come from the worms.

#210 2 years ago

lol . love this part from that article you quoted .... . So a Sandworm shits itself ,eats itself ,and reproduces itself in an odd way . Grand pa Logic , I Got lectrolights !

Quoted from kvan99:

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

lol . love this part from that article you quoted .... . So a Sandworm shits itself ,eats itself ,and reproduces itself in an odd way . Grand pa Logic , I Got lectrolights !

Here’s an alternative explanation from the Dune wiki:

“It was created in a process whereby the fungal excretions of sandtrout would mix with water to form a pre-spice mass. This mass would then be brought to the surface of the desert through an explosion of pressure, and under the intense heat and air of Arrakis, melange would form. When the worms died, sandtrout would be released into the sand, and the cycle of creation would repeat.”

#212 2 years ago

I got your sandtrout…

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I admit to being a homer when Canadian directors just show how it's done. This is a real good watch if you want a little insight into all the stuff going on in a single scene. I do understand though he is subtle and doesn't just hit you over the head with everything. If you miss or don't pick up what he is trying to say it can seem like nothing is going on.

This Canadian director proves your point. I was a 14 year old on vacation in Toronto from Detroit. This gem was on the tv in the hotel. Never ever forgot it.

Great movie. Cronenberg fully proves your point. He is genuinely creepy.

My side note is I fully hope you have seen this.
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg

#214 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

This Canadian director proves your point. I was a 14 year old on vacation in Toronto from Detroit. This gem was on the tv in the hotel. Never ever forgot it.
    Great movie. Cronenberg fully proves your point. He is genuinely creepy.
    My side note is I fully hope you have seen this.
    [quoted image]

Just because of my age I am kinda into the 80's and newer stuff. I do love his stuff though, Videodrome blew my mind as a kid have been hooked since.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I watched Dune last night.
    Do not waste 2 plus hours of your life watching this movie.
    Horribly slow and incoherent. I read the books so I knew what was going on but if you had not read the books you will be totally lost and bored..I was just completely bored and to make it worse it isn't even a complete movie. It cuts off to make way for a part 2.
    This one makes the 1982 version look stellar.

I look forward to reading this thread. I read Dune (just the first book) a few months back at the recommendation of Pinside community. Loved the book. And I thought the movie was sooooooooooo good; saw it at home via HBO. Had goose bumps at times. I think the 1982 version was not good at all. Looking forward to seeing it in IMAX now. To each their own.

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

I suppose it's a reference to the circle of life bs...it's all from a figment of some guy's imagination so I think he would've wanted us to be free to come to our own conclusion.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I loved every minute and can't wait for part two. It was just so good to be able to watch a movie with all the subtle emotions and attention to details. I admit to being a homer when Canadian directors just show how it's done. This is a real good watch if you want a little insight into all the stuff going on in a single scene. I do understand though he is subtle and doesn't just hit you over the head with everything. If you miss or don't pick up what he is trying to say it can seem like nothing is going on.

That was a good watch. I could listen to him explaining every scene of the movie like that.

#218 2 years ago
    DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpegDFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    #219 2 years ago

I haven't kept up with the thread. Where can get one of those machetes? Closest thing I have seen is Zombie Tools Rat Bastard:

https://zombietools.net/collections/blades/products/the-rat-bastard

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I got your sandtrout…

Slippin’ one over my hand. Better watch out.

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Just because of my age I am kinda into the 80's and newer stuff. I do love his stuff though, Videodrome blew my mind as a kid have been hooked since.

Videodrome is my favorite horror film. It warrants a sequel from Cronenberg himself, IMO.

His son is directing movies. I have only seen his first. I think his second film is making the rounds.

Videdrome is nearly perfect to me.

“Television is reality”

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

I look forward to reading this thread. I read Dune (just the first book) a few months back at the recommendation of Pinside community. Loved the book. And I thought the movie was sooooooooooo good; saw it at home via HBO. Had goose bumps at times. I think the 1982 version was not good at all. Looking forward to seeing it in IMAX now. To each their own.

I enjoyed it as well. Thought it was fun. Pacing wasn't an issue at all. To each their own indeed.

#223 2 years ago

I'm a big Dune fan and one that loved Lynch's film. I'm an 80's kid which is why the Lynch film really connects with me. I saw it a decade and a half before I considred reading the books. If I was 30 back then and into the books I may have a totally different opinion on it. I'm just hooked on the visuals and the casting of that film. I also liked the SciFy miniseries and have it on DVD. It was definitly restrained by budget and had some strange costume choices, but was a huge success for them. I was really waiting for this new Dune to come out.

I was reading this thread and someone mentioned a major person on the Dune movie did Prometheus. This makes total sense because it has the exact same vibe. Also, like Prometheus, I was luke warm on the first viewing, but the second time was really into it. I'm an HBO Max viewer.

There is a lot of good, but it's more fun to concentrate on your gripes, right? One, the casting of Paul had me thinking of Kylo Ren the whole time. I don't know if it's the hair, nose, or just constant scowl, but I couldn't get Kylo out of my head. I liked Baron Harkonnen, including the Marlin Brando/Apoclypse Now vibe he gave. The one scene with his chair where he flies up was another scene where I was just thinking Star Wars. I couldn't shake Star Wars out of my mind and it was taking me out of the Dune world.

My biggest gripe is they didn't explain the Mentats and they totally got rid of all the tension that should have been there over Jessica and Hawat. I just didn't connect with the charactors and this would have helped. This is something Lynch did very well. Also, Yueh and the Suks should have been explained. They didn't and the betrayal made little sense because of it. This is one of those things where the director had a lot more time to tell the story than Lynch, but what did he do with it? Not character development and explaining key Dune attributes.

I like how the shields were handled. I liked the downbeat tone of the movie, including the color grading and score, and all of the effects. Besides Paul, I liked all of the casting choices. The worm was fantastic. I love the story. This really is just the warm up for Part 2, which I believe will be epic.

I didn't even try to watch this with my wife. I firmly believe anyone not familiar with the books would be pretty lost. I'm glad this has been considered a success and the 2nd movie has been green lighted. Hopefully, they can get it to us by next November (wishful thinking).

Edit: The wife thing wasn't fair really. She doesn't watch an Scifi or Fantasy anyway. I only mentioned because a casual viewer would probably be confused and this story doesn't have the charm of LOTR to keep non fan's of the genre attention.

#224 2 years ago

A question. Why do people call the Dune books a trilogy in this thread? It's 6 books by Frank Hubert. Yes, book 4 is 3 thousand years later, but it's still in the series. Honestly, I would have been happy if FB ended the series with book 4.

#225 2 years ago

I was skeptical 1st was horrible .New 1 was good cant wait for part 2.

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

My biggest gripe is they didn't explain the Mentats and they totally got rid of all the tension that should have been there over Jessica and Hawat. I just didn't connect with the charactors and this would have helped. This is something Lynch did very well. Also, Yueh and the Suks should have been explained. They didn't and the betrayal made little sense because of it.

After reflecting a bit on my one and only viewing, I tend to agree with Ryan. I appreciate what the movie did offer, but the interpersonal complexity was sorely lacking. Rebecca Ferguson and Skarsgaard came closest to breaking through on that count. Still a thumbs up from me.

#227 2 years ago

You know, I just had a F'd up thought, but I'll share anyway. This is like an adult film before the intercourse starts. Lots of heavy petting and other pleasures before the real fun starts. Part 2 will have the money shot.

#228 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Part 2 will have the money shot.

Yeah! Sex and revenge! Show us your sand boobs! Spice for life!

#229 2 years ago

I watched most of part 1 last night. I should mention that I have not read the books. This new one is similar to the original in the fact that it has the "wtf am I watching feel." Lots of murky shots and people constantly mumbling to themselves. Big wide open scenes though. The main character is there but this time he reminds me of a twink. He is way too young for the part. His mom is missing about 30% of her attractiveness. The movie sorta of drags along with some of the original scenes like the floating death dart, the box of endless pain and the poisonous tooth. The floating fat guy has better skin this time. Twink and milf-lite end up in the desert and the blue eye people make him their leader. The girl is no Sean Young but cute. I fell asleep near the end but I assume twink goes surfing on the worms soon. See ya in 2 years. Maybe

#230 2 years ago

Paul is supposed to be a teenager, so why does everyone want him to look like he's 30? Is it the Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club effect?

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I watched Dune last night.
    Do not waste 2 plus hours of your life watching this movie.
    Horribly slow and incoherent. I read the books so I knew what was going on but if you had not read the books you will be totally lost and bored..I was just completely bored and to make it worse it isn't even a complete movie. It cuts off to make way for a part 2.
    This one makes the 1982 version look stellar.

"Horribly slow and incoherent."
    That's pretty much how I would describe all the books and movies from Dune. But also one of the reasons I like it so much.
    Now I really need to watch it.

#232 2 years ago

I don't know where OPs negativity is coming from, I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant. My wife had not read the books and she thought it was amazing as well. Some absolutely stunning shots in the film, and the soundtrack was exceptional.

#233 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

I don't know where OPs negativity is coming from, I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant. My wife had not read the books and she thought it was amazing as well. Some absolutely stunning shots in the film, and the soundtrack was exceptional.

I agree, i had zero expectations and stumbled upon it on HBO without ever hearing of the book. We thought it was great! I enjoy movies like dune that have time for plot and character development, as apposed to 2 hours of action scenes. Had the feel of a classic. My only complaint, i'm little disappointed with the abrupt ending and the 2 year wait for part 2.

#234 2 years ago

Caught this movie a the cinema last night with a friend. I haven't read the books and enjoyed it, it held my attention the entire movie and it's a long movie.

#235 2 years ago

Watches it on HBOmax with the wife. Did some explaining of the plot line but not too much. Loved the visuals, I would say majestic even. They helped convey the feeling of the dynasties at play here. Best part of the movie. Looking forward to Part two.

#236 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I watched most of part 1 last night. I should mention that I have not read the books. This new one is similar to the original in the fact that it has the "wtf am I watching feel." Lots of murky shots and people constantly mumbling to themselves. Big wide open scenes though. The main character is there but this time he reminds me of a twink. He is way too young for the part. His mom is missing about 30% of her attractiveness. The movie sorta of drags along with some of the original scenes like the floating death dart, the box of endless pain and the poisonous tooth. The floating fat guy has better skin this time. Twink and milf-lite end up in the desert and the blue eye people make him their leader. The girl is no Sean Young but cute. I fell asleep near the end but I assume twink goes surfing on the worms soon. See ya in 2 years. Maybe

This is a great review, I am still laughing and this may be more entertaining than the movie. You should be a professional movie reviewer.

I will note that the main character is not too young for the part, he is very young in the book. But the rest is spot on.

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

I agree, i had zero expectations and stumbled upon it on HBO without ever hearing of the book. We thought it was great! I enjoy movies like dune that have time for plot and character development, as apposed to 2 hours of action scenes. Had the feel of a classic. My only complaint, i'm little disappointed with the abrupt ending and the 2 year wait for part 2.

Honestly take that time to read the book, it's good. And the movies ending, while abrupt, was at a perfect part of the book.

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is a great review, I am still laughing and this may be more entertaining than the movie. You should be a professional movie reviewer.
    I will note that the main character is not too young for the part, he is very young in the book. But the rest is spot on.

I'm not going to get on anybody's case just because they didn't like a movie, but WTF is a twink?

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not going to get on anybody's case just because they didn't like a movie, but WTF is a twink?

It's a homophobic slur against attractive guys that are teenage-twenty something. Basically saying if your young and good looking you must be gay, with negative connotation. Well to be fair people do use it in a positive way so that could have been the context he was using it. It is short for twinkie, a snack, something you would like to take a bite out of. Its all in the delivery.

#240 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's a homophobic slur against attractive guys that are teenage-twenty something. Basically saying if your young and good looking you must be gay, with negative connotation. Well to be fair people do use it in a positive way so that could have been the context he was using it. It is short for twinkie, a snack, something you would like to take a bite out of. Its all in the delivery.

Yeah I wasn't getting that warm and fuzzy vibe from that review in general. Oy vey

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Agreed! My wife is not a huge sci fi fan, but I gave her a very quick primer of the dune universe on the way to the theater and she picked up on it right away. She really liked the film!

I think there were some parts that could have been further developed but I trust and respect Denis enough (and his love for the source material) to believe his decisions were justified. He’s created another wonderful version of Dune that has me inspired to read the other books in the series.

#242 2 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Paul is supposed to be a teenager, so why does everyone want him to look like he's 30? Is it the Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club effect?

This Paul is 25 years old..lol Sooo he isn't close to being a teenager either..

Which I believe Kyle Maclaughlin was exactly the same age in the 1984 Dune.

#243 2 years ago

Watched this last night. I've read the books and thought it was pretty good. My wife liked it too and she has not read the books. Jason Momoa's acting is the weakest part of the film for me, especially considering how good the rest of the cast is.

#244 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Watched this last night. I've read the books and thought it was pretty good. My wife liked it too and she has not read the books. Jason Momoa's acting is the weakest part of the film for me, especially considering how good the rest of the cast is.

Gerard Butler would have been a cool choice.

#245 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

A question. Why do people call the Dune books a trilogy in this thread? It's 6 books by Frank Hubert. Yes, book 4 is 3 thousand years later, but it's still in the series. Honestly, I would have been happy if FB ended the series with book 4.

The first three neatly tie everything up that happens in that time period of a few generations, I think that’s basically the reason it’s known as the trilogy. Yes the next one continues it with the same main character, but it’s a different adventure with all different people (and some gholas) and as you said with thousands of years gone by, so it’s a different arc.

I like the other 2 books he wrote as well, and also all the others Brian Herbert and Anderson wrote. There is good fodder in there for some cool movies, with action stuff. Like for example when Miles Teg lays down some smack on the Honored Matres. Or the origin story of Gurney Halleck, that’s pretty gnarly.

#246 2 years ago

Just saw it at the theatre. Pretty epic. Looking forward to part 2.

#247 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, and critics complain Kyle was too old at the time. It's hard to imagine a 15 yr old that could physically keep up, so I don't blame movie makers casting a slightly older actor. At least he was trying to pass as a student at Bayside High.

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Agreed on Jason’s acting. He definitely looks the part, but his delivery was flat and at times took me out of the moment.

I thought Timothy was great as Paul and Rebecca Ferguson was fantastic as lady Jessica. Although I had trouble understanding some of her dialogue due to her accent.

1 week later
    #249 2 years ago

WOW!! Just watched. Was worried it was going to be another water down remake but glad to say it wasn't. Visually stunning and long slow paced film that makes Dune the great movie it is. Can't wait to see the next film. Also can't wait to own this on a extended edition Blue Ray set.

#250 2 years ago

The tech upgrades since 1984 are pretty awesome, but not always better. I can't really think of 1 acting upgrade either.
    It's basically the same as 1984 so far, which is fine, but not mind blowing.

Big fan of Lynch version & never read any books.

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-2021-/page/5?hl=purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.