• Yes 18 votes
    58%
  • No 10 votes
    32%
  • Only after Pee-Wee's Big Adneture 3 votes
    10%

(Multiple choice - 31 votes)

#1 64 days ago

Dune 2021 will have its world premiere at the Venice film festival on 9/3. It should start streaming on HBO Max on 10/22. As a big fan of Frank Herbert work, I have faith in Villeneuve to hopefully get it right this time. I understand it will be in two instalment, each over 2 hours (155 minutes for the first one). HBO also apparently is only in for the first part and the making of part two is contingent on the success/failure of the first one.
Being a big fan of Jodorowsky (his contribution to graphic novels is epic in my view), I find it sad his attempt never saw the light of day.
I am looking forward to see this!
Now, this would be a dream new theme for a new pinball for me.
PS: I wish the pinside forum included a sub-forum for "pins we would like to see".

https://www.warnerbros.com/movies/dune

#2 62 days ago

I have zero interest in the new film/series whatever or a pin based on it. If its not based on the 80's version I don't see the point.

#3 62 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

....If its not based on the 80's version I don't see the point.

Companies don't make pinball machines based on new movies so we're probably safe there.

Quoted from bladerunner:

PS: I wish the pinside forum included a sub-forum for "pins we would like to see...

Sadly you'd be late on that one
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-hype-dune-pinball-hype
But I believe in Villeneuve as well.

#5 62 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have zero interest in the new film/series whatever or a pin based on it. If its not based on the 80's version I don't see the point.

I really like the the book, but the 80’s film version is rough. It has some good but lots of bad, as in mst3k worthy.

There’s a documentary about Jodorowsky’s failed attempt to make dune is interesting. Jodorowsky had some really wild ideas and had some awesome art concepts. In the end he blew so much studio money in pre production that they panicked and cancelled his version.

#6 62 days ago

Dune is one of the "ultimate" themes... would be great if Villeneuve and his crew can put screen live in it. David Lynch was from my point of view awesome (with a lot of flaws but still great)... in the 80s. But a lot of of the 80s movies did not age well.

I read Dune about 35-40 years ago (right before Lynchs movie), still consider it one of the best storystelling ever.

Visually and theme wise would it be great for a pinball machine, but I highly doubt it will happen.

3 weeks later
#7 40 days ago
Quoted from frg:

Visually and theme wise would it be great for a pinball machine, but I highly doubt it will happen.

it would be a fantastic theme even if you know nothing about Dune. somebody has to do it! i teasingly emailed Jersey Jack to put me on the pre-waiting list for the preorder for a Dune pin, but alas no response. i'm just going to pretend they can't say anything because it's still in the secret planning phase.

#8 40 days ago
Quoted from jgreene:

It has some good but lots of bad, as in mst3k worthy.

Yeah usually remakes are never better than the original. In this case it would be hard for the new movie not to be better. The 80s movie was so bad, I walked out long before it was over for the first time ever in my life. Even more telling was the fact that a friend of mine drove, so I had to walk home!

#9 40 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah usually remakes are never better than the original. In this case it would be hard for the new movie not to be better. The 80s movie was so bad, I walked out long before it was over for the first time ever in my life. Even more telling was the fact that a friend of mine drove, so I had to walk home!

Jgreene is right. The original is unbearable. Meanwhile, the remake is being done by the guy (forgive me, I can hardly say his name, nevermind spell it) that did Bladerunner 2049, and that film was incredible.

#10 40 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Think the first movie I ever walked out of was Godfather 3.

#11 40 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The book is boring, and the 1984 Movie is horrible on many levels. Even director David Lynch doesn't want to talk about it or have anything to do with it any more.
The 2000 T.V. limited series is more faithful to the novel, but just about as boring.
And two installments?!? Each over two hours? HARD PASS!

#12 40 days ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I understand it will be in two instalment

I have been really excited to see the new one... and this just killed it for me. I hadn't realized they would only tell me part of the story and then leave me hanging. Now I'll wait to see what happens. IF they make the second, I'll watch them both... maybe... if it doesn't get panned. I don't think Hollywood understands their audience. Telling me you will only finish a story if it sells well through the first half is a big middle finger aimed right at me. Advertising a movie 6 months before I can see it is just a waste of time that makes me want to wait until it comes out on video in 9 months instead of seeing it in a theater in 6.

#13 40 days ago
Quoted from DaveH:

...Advertising a movie 6 months before I can see it is just a waste of time that makes me want to wait until it comes out on video in 9 months instead of seeing it in a theater in 6.

All made easier by watching it on HBO Max

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside