Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mystman12
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

angry-woman-arms-crossed-shutterstock.jpg
    icon_lol.gif
    sssssss.jpg
    Dem_gaemz.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 8 years ago

"Wow, you should open an arcade". Followed closely by, "I'll bet you you could really make some money". Uh ... no thanks and no way. There are easier ways to not make money.

#202 8 years ago

"Do you think Pinball machines will ever come back?"

People are shocked when I tell them about all the new games and game manufacturers.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

What exactly WAS he saying? My son just turned 2 and can likely out-motor-skill them already

Quoted from scottslash:

My response would have been: "Uh, no, I don't know what you're saying."

The whole story, there was a man who would get drunk on his balcony at an apartment I lived at in Louisville. He would yell at everyone just weird things. That's the best way to describe it, just weird things. He saw me loading a JP in my car one day and yelled at me one time. "Hey was that a pinball? I haven't seen one of those in years." I said, "I have a whole apartment full of them do you want to see". I was already freaked out by this guy, it's been 3 or 4 years so I am foggy on why he scared me so bad but he really really did. I was trying to be nice and just invite him in and maybe he is an okay guy, who knows. He came in and started asking about all of them especially the JP I had just traded. I told him about the weird trade offers I got a CL. Someone said they would tattoo anything I wanted on me, I had an offer for Nazi memorabilia, and I even got an offer for free dental work. He said "Nazi memorabilia, is bad. I should know I collect WW2 artifacts. Your home will be inhabited by the dead Germans who want to claim their possessions back." He then went on to talk about my soul that seemed to be bouncing around in my apartment and that for some reason it wouldn't cling to my being, something about my dirty body. I don't know it just got weird. I put out an empty hearted invitation for him to bring back his kids and that's when he said that. I told him I had to be some where and went for a hand shake and he went on to do this elaborate secret handshake that scared me even more than I was.

The weirdest part about it, is he said the music for Space Shuttle was annoying. Not to me

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

"Let me ask the wife"
    or, "let me check with the boss".

Happily married, are you?

#205 8 years ago

"This community needs to be less misoxygenated and more welcoming to broads."

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Can we just stick with the funny stuff?

I say we all down vote anybody who argues in the thread.

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yep, 22 years. However we all know that dudes like to use the old excuse "I'll have to ask the wife" to get away from saying no.

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from 1iblind:

People are shocked when I tell them about all the new games and game manufacturers.

When I mention some of the titles they are coming out with now they still don't believe they are new.

#209 8 years ago

It just needs a fuse. Don't worry.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I suppose it could apply to the bottom 25 as well but you need to compare apples to apples in other words, NIB to a similar condition one. I remember Xenon NIB was $1500 in 1980, but a nicely restored one is over $2500, same applies to Black Knight. NIB in mid 80's were $1800. Please provide evidence of your statement that a "minty" condition machine is less than its NIB counterpart in more than 5% of the cases. At the very least, you will not "save plenty" as stated in the original dumb post quote.

Do you understand what inflation is?
    http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
    $1500 in 1980 is equivalent to $4300 now.

You know there are about 5,000 other pinball machine titles that are not "top 25" games, right?

#211 8 years ago

Yep, 22 years. However we all know that dudes like to use the old excuse "I'll have to ask the wife" to get away from saying no.

Oh...okay, then! I actually say those things when I'm about to buy a machine, but I really do check with my wife to make sure that I won't be buying a lawyer as well.

#212 8 years ago

I was playing an intense game on location, nudging the machine and such. When I do this of course the people playing next to me start randomly shaking the machine like that's how you're supposed to play pinball, just give it a good shake to let the game know you're there. One of the four people playing got multiball and clearly no one in the group knew what multiball was. He immediately drained then the next player asked what he did and he said "I don't know, I just shook the machine pretty hard and I think some balls came loose". They all kept shaking it. That's one of the dumbest things I've heard.

#213 8 years ago

Are my Judge Dredd ramps dishwasher safe?

#214 8 years ago

"Normal wear for its age."

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

"Normal wear for its age."

That's the dumbest thing my wife ever said about me.

#216 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I was playing an intense game on location, nudging the machine and such. When I do this of course the people playing next to me start randomly shaking the machine like that's how you're supposed to play pinball, just give it a good shake to let the game know you're there. One of the four people playing got multiball and clearly no one in the group knew what multiball was. He immediately drained then the next player asked what he did and he said "I don't know, I just shook the machine pretty hard and I think some balls came loose". They all kept shaking it. That's one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Why not set them straight? If nothing else, that was a pretty good opportunity to drop some knowledge.

#217 8 years ago

I didn't know that was a 'thing' until I was selling new motorcycles. I heard that more than I care to remember.

#218 8 years ago

"The journey is the reward"
    "Just wait 2 more weeks, REALLY good news coming"
    "Pay us now and we'll ship you a machine in...ah....um..... 3 or 4 years"

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Another forum I frequent uses the acronym SWMBO, or "She Who Must Be Obeyed." I think that could apply in numerous situations on this forum too.

#220 8 years ago

I work in an office where most people put their medical/education credential initials after their name to the point of absurdity. I am going to add SWMBO to my email signature and see how long it takes for someone to notice.

#221 8 years ago

I hear this excuse alllll the time
    Lol!

#223 8 years ago

"....It's no wonder you don't have any money. You buy those damn pinball machines. They're expensive."

Overheard...my mother-in-law talking to my wife.

#224 8 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Ouch!

#225 8 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

"....It's no wonder you don't have any money. You buy those damn pinball machines. They're expensive."

My mother in law said that once to my wife. I told her that money was only going to be a concern when we tried to get her and her other bitchy family members a group rate down at the funeral home.

#226 8 years ago

Pinball is all luck. There's no skill involved

#227 8 years ago

An Operator saying the word "Mint" on a routed pin 10 years in the Wild

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I work in an office where most people put their medical/education credential initials after their name to the point of absurdity. I am going to add SWMBO to my email signature and see how long it takes for someone to notice.

Outstanding!

#229 8 years ago

"Let me ask the wife"
    or, "let me check with the boss".

Agreed, Nothing like making yourself look like a pussy, in print, for every other man to see.

Let's be real....even a strong woman doesn't want her man to be a push over....

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Agreed, Nothing like making yourself look like a pussy, in print, for every other man to see.
    Let's be real....even a strong woman doesn't want her man to be a push over....

I may be a pussy, but I'm a happily married pussy.

In truth, my wife is a strong woman, and I'm a strong man (emotionally...otherwise my arms are like toothpicks). But when I married my wife, I agreed to a partnership. We always talk about stuff I want to get, and if she disagrees, I just buy her something she wants to make her feel better. So sometimes pinball machines wind up costing me double.

So maybe I'm not a pussy. Maybe I'm just smart and know how to get what I want. Because what I DON'T want is to have to pay a lawyer...

#231 8 years ago

Extremely Rare Japanese Pinball $XXX.00

So sad, at best there are two too many x's if you can ignore the fact that a Pachinko isnt' a pinball. I have a handfull I picked up for 5-10 bucks a piece, will make interesting re-theme projects.

#232 8 years ago

Beelzeboob my husband jfesler and I call it the marriage tax if he gets something cool (phone, tablet etc) I get one too. it doesn't work perfectly with pinball though as we are running out of room for games .

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from Armouredhobbit:

Beelzeboob my husband jfesler and I call it the marriage tax if he gets something cool (phone, tablet etc) I get one too. it doesn't work perfectly with pinball though as we are running out of room for games .

Your husband is a God among men. Just the stuff he does with web development makes my head hurt.

#234 8 years ago

He is awesome that way. Most of what he is able to do with computers is beyond my comprehension lol. im just lucky he has put up with me for almost 23 years.

#235 8 years ago

I think it's really cute that two animated people found each other. You're both drawn really well.

#236 8 years ago

"Who in the world plays pinball on vacation?" Says a guy with 19 pins at home.

#237 8 years ago

Lol unfortunately there are no cute pictures of female hobbits and I did play Bilbo in a play of the Hobbit in high school many years ago. That's when folks started calling me Hobbit.. Anyhow back on topic last weekend I got the "are you a pinball wizard?" Again, sigh, it seems to be the default question when you tell folks you like pinball. Lol

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

"Who in the world plays pinball on vacation?" Says a guy with 19 pins at home.

"Who in the world can afford a vacation?" says the same guy.

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Pinball is all luck. There's no skill involved

The older bingo games are like that there is a little skill but the big parts are luck.

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

He then went on to talk about my soul that seemed to be bouncing around in my apartment and that for some reason it wouldn't cling to my being, something about my dirty body. I don't know it just got weird. I put out an empty hearted invitation for him to bring back his kids and that's when he said that. I told him I had to be some where and went for a hand shake and he went on to do this elaborate secret handshake that scared me even more than I was.

Oh my god, this made my day. Thank you for sharing.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

I just shook the machine pretty hard and I think some balls came loose.

^^^This was a close-second in the day-maker department.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The older bingo games are like that there is a little skill but the big parts are luck.

Sounds like someone needs to talk with Vic Camp:

http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/episode-46-interview-with-vic-camp-4-25-15

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.Elephant Eater.com

#241 8 years ago

New contender for dumbest thing I've heard:

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

SM doesn't deserve to smell ST's shit!

#242 8 years ago

"we only have room for one"

I've heard that one alot.... they usually come back for number 2 within a month or so

#243 8 years ago

Aside from the classics about prices and pinball wizards; I find the stupid offers on Kijiji/Craig's list annoying. When ads very clearly state that you aren't interested in trades and you are routinely offered obscure items that "are worth 2 grand more than what you are looking for." Go sell your junk and bring me the cash; if it's worth so much.

3 weeks later
    #244 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I may be a pussy, but I'm a happily married pussy.
    In truth, my wife is a strong woman, and I'm a strong man (emotionally...otherwise my arms are like toothpicks). But when I married my wife, I agreed to a partnership. We always talk about stuff I want to get, and if she disagrees, I just buy her something she wants to make her feel better. So sometimes pinball machines wind up costing me double.
    So maybe I'm not a pussy. Maybe I'm just smart and know how to get what I want. Because what I DON'T want is to have to pay a lawyer...

I absolutely agree with your thinking, a partnership is exactly what marriage is. I don't think your situation is what I am referring to. I simply feel for the guys that have to get permission to do anything. A friend calls and invites them over for pinball and they have to ask permission. While "the wife" doesn't aver ask permission for anything. I have several divorced friends who had a wife who "ruled with an iron fist" and it quickly became a very unhappy place...constant bitching about "the wife" animosity built, neither were happy and game over.

I see you buy your wife something too.....that only fair, if you buy a pin and say now there is no money for what you want.....then that's not a very equal relationship at all. Sounds to me like you are in a good spot, being fair to your wife and treating her with respect is far from a pussy.

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

What are the dumbest things you've read online or heard other people say about pinball?

Great Price! Wish I was closer!

#246 8 years ago

I have a friend that still says "fu**en magnets" when he loses the ball, usually down the sides.On a machine with no magnets
    "Wish it was closer." When they see a machine for sale more than 2 streets away
    "If only I had the money"

Another few, Not pinball related. On a raft trip someone always asks. "Do we finish here" or " How deep is the river"

#247 8 years ago
    Quoted from kayakkingoz:

I have a friend that still says "fu**en magnets" when he loses the ball, usually down the sides.

That's exactly what I say when get hosed on Xmen or TWD. Fling the ball around, cool. But if a half second after the magnet does it's cute little trick the ball is in the drain, that's BS.

#248 8 years ago

I take 2 vacations a year and spend January in our Palm Springs condo. I don't play any pinball away from home.

#249 8 years ago

This 40 something couple walks up to the machine beside me. Guy is acting all know it all. Drops in some tokens. Starts a game. With first ball in the shooter lane...

Guy:"now most people think you pull the plunger to launch the ball.... <mimics pulling plunger> but i know a secret.... The best way to launch the ball is to..."
    Girl eating this up and believing every word.
    Guy takes the heel of his right hand and slams it on the plunger knob hard launching the ball.
    Guy:"see that works the best."
    Both guy and gal proceed to double flip like mad as they take turns playing a ball

Me. Shaking my head.

#250 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

This 40 something couple walks up to the machine beside me. Guy is acting all know it all. Drops in some tokens. Starts a game. With first ball in the shooter lane...
    Guy:"now most people think you pull the plunger to launch the ball.... <mimics pulling plunger> but i know a secret.... The best way to launch the ball is to..."
    Girl eating this up and believing every word.
    Guy takes the heel of his right hand and slams it on the plunger knob hard launching the ball.
    Guy:"see that works the best."
    Both guy and gal proceed to double flip like mad as they take turns playing a ball
    Me. Shaking my head.

I saw that today at ReplayFX quite a few times. Douchebaggery at its finest.

There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbest-things-youve-heard-from-others-about-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.