Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mystman12
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

angry-woman-arms-crossed-shutterstock.jpg
    icon_lol.gif
    sssssss.jpg
    Dem_gaemz.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 8 years ago

Newspaper article in Sydney Morning Herald: "He has about 25 flashing, chirruping machines in the basement, which he plays for about an hour a day when not busy as a home builder. Standing there, flipping the paddles, all his frustrations fall away."

"TO BE a pinball wizard you must first learn to think like a pinball wizard."

Article in HYPER magazine: "Being crammed into a stuffy first floor office space, above a warehouse, in an Alexandria backstreet, with one woman and 50-odd men – mostly scraggly or sparsely-haired and aged in their 30s to 50s – mightn’t sound like the ideal way to spend the day, but the mood is buoyant."

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

"Are you a pinball wizard?"

When I'm asked this, I respond ; "Only at troubleshooting and repairing them".

#153 8 years ago

" It cant be HUO, I see a lockbar on the coindoor.... "

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Factually incorrect, Take any game in the top 25 see what they sold for MSRP at the time they were for sale...etc, etc, etc

You're joking, right? "It applies to the top 25, therefore it applies to all machines"? Why not use the bottom 25 to 'prove' that 100% of games fall in value?

#155 8 years ago

Yeah, but who cares about the bottom 25?

#156 8 years ago

"I can't wait to put LED's in it".

or

"it's an LE so it's worth more"

#157 8 years ago

"Doing it for the love of pinball."

#158 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Yeah, but who cares about the bottom 25?

Everyone who bought Wrestlemania???

#159 8 years ago

Worst player ever! She could have won a Lights...Camera...Action pinball! (starts at 6:00)

#160 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

You're joking, right? "It applies to the top 25, therefore it applies to all machines"? Why not use the bottom 25 to 'prove' that 100% of games fall in value?

I suppose it could apply to the bottom 25 as well but you need to compare apples to apples in other words, NIB to a similar condition one. I remember Xenon NIB was $1500 in 1980, but a nicely restored one is over $2500, same applies to Black Knight. NIB in mid 80's were $1800. Please provide evidence of your statement that a "minty" condition machine is less than its NIB counterpart in more than 5% of the cases. At the very least, you will not "save plenty" as stated in the original dumb post quote.

#161 8 years ago

I think she was playing by phone by saying Fleep, Fleep, Fleep.

#162 8 years ago

Please provide evidence of your statement that a "minty" condition machine is less than its NIB counterpart in more than 5% of the cases.

What statement? I never said that. I simply pointed out that assuming the pricing trends of the top 25 games are typical of pinball machines in general is illogical. Anyway, not going to argue this point any more, this thread has been sidetracked enough as it is.

#163 8 years ago

You're joking, right?

No, unfortunately he's serious... If you're smart with your money and know when and how to buy you can break even or actually make a little when reselling but this guy happily spends 9k on remakes so the term 'smart' doesn't really apply to him.

#164 8 years ago

An autographed DE Star Wars translite makes the game worth $4000 more

#165 8 years ago

"It's just all luck, right?"

"Why would someone need so many machines? Aren't they all the same?"

"They still make new ones?!"

Yeesh ... I'm going back into the basement.

#166 8 years ago

"I saw a little spark while adjusting something with the power on. Why is the game not starting now?"

#167 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger64:

"It's just all luck, right?"

Ugh...I'd forgotten this one. I had somebody say that to me, so I told them they were welcome to stop by anytime and "try their luck" against me. He hasn't shown up yet.

#168 8 years ago

What statement? I never said that. I simply pointed out that assuming the pricing trends of the top 25 games are typical of pinball machines in general is illogical. Anyway, not going to argue this point any more, this thread has been sidetracked enough as it is.

Bear in mind my statement was a rebuttle to another statement that 95% of ALL new pins go down in price and especially the dumbest statement of all that "don't buy a NIB MMR, it will go down saving you plenty". My cursory look at the market prices seemed to show the opposite trend and I backed it up with a handfull of statistically significant pins. It's a lot easier for you to prove the contrary to that statement that in 5% of the pins, the price is lower than it's NIB counterpart than for me to list all 95% of all pins in the top 25, what I originally stated, but I'll go as far as top 100. My guess is you already tried and instead of conceding you prefer to say "not going to argue this point any more, this thread has been sidetracked enough as it is".

#169 8 years ago

I always hear from folks,gee,do they still make those things??Then,are they expensive?? You have How many??OMG!!Yakitty yak,yakitty yak!!Peace,

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

If you're smart with your money and know when and how to buy you can break even or actually make a little when reselling

Teekee if you want to make money, why don't you move out of your parents basement and find a real job. Less time trolling pinside would be an added bonus.

#171 8 years ago

Teekee if you want to make money, why don't you move out of your parents basement and find a real job. Less time trolling pinside would be an added bonus.

Because my parents basement is warm and dry and a real job would require me to get out of my undies... won't do it, sorry!

Now, if you want to keep wasting your money please contact me the next time you're looking for a pin to buy. I will have special pricing just for you. Hope to hear from you soon! SEND MONEY NOW!

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Because my parents basement is warm and dry and a real job would require me to get out of my undies... won't do it, sorry!
    Now, if you want to keep wasting your money please contact me the next time you're looking for a pin to buy. I will have special pricing just for you. Hope to hear from you soon! SEND MONEY NOW!

LOL...this guy is ok with overpaying a grand or two. I'm sure he can afford it and obviously doesn't mind. The question is: why does it bother you?

#173 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...this guy is ok with overpaying a grand or two. I'm sure he can afford it and obviously doesn't mind. The question is: why does it bother you?

Because he needs to be buying from me! I can help him waste his money just as well as anyone else... I would love to be his middleman.

Give me a call SuperPinball, I'll hook ya up! Plus my basement needs new wallpaper.

#174 8 years ago

Every time my dad plays, the ball rolls down the playfield, hits the flipper and rolls straight into the drain. Then, a second later, he hits the flipper button, turns to me and says "THIS THING CHEATS!"

#175 8 years ago

I wish I was in the States , shipping a pin to Toronto is about $600-$800 from the US. $8000 MSRP + shipping + setup and delivery and its $9K in my basement. But I have a new MMR in my basement and I am a happy camper.

#176 8 years ago

See what they are currently going for "used" and you will find that in fact 95% of the pins increased in price

Sorry to prove you wrong. Here are the latest models produced by Stern. Each is HUO and much lower than NIB. Forget about the first 25/last 25 on a rating system. These are the last 5 games produced from the factory. These are a better value than NIB. They may go up in the future, but that is not what you initially stated. You said it was "dumb" to wait for "HUO".

Besides Tron LE and AC/DC LE show me new pins you do not have to wait 5- 10 years to appreciate.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/20185
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21185
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21479
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-extremely-low-play-huo-twdle
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-mustang-pro-50th-anniversary-build-date#post-1671322

#177 8 years ago

The dumbest thing that I have done pinball related is to buy XMLE NIB. Not because I do not like the game. I could have saved 1500 dollars waiting.

#178 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Sorry to prove you wrong. Here are the latest models produced by Stern. Each is HUO and much lower than NIB. Forget about the first 25/last 25 on a rating system. These are the last 5 games produced from the factory. These are a better value than NIB. They may go up in the future, but that is not what you initially stated. You said it was "dumb" to wait for "HUO".

Besides TRON LE and AC/DC LE show me new pins you do not have to wait 5- 10 years to appreciate.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/20185
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21185
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/21479
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-extremely-low-play-huo-twdle
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-mustang-pro-50th-anniversary-build-date#post-1671322

Listing #1 I agree with you
    Listing #2 Premium NIB went for around $6000-$6500, ok some saving but hardy "plenty".
    Listing #3 WWE is rated #305 sorry just a bad game not in top 100
    Listing #4 Walking dead LE went for $6950, ok I agree with you, you saved $100.
    Listing #5 Mustang is rated #154, but i will give you that one too

Thank you jimjim66 for at least making an effort to provide facts and evidence but I think we can see that the original statement of 95% of all NIB will go down is not factually correct, at least if its a descent machine.

#179 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

The dumbest thing that I have done pinball related is to buy XMLE NIB. Not because I do not like the game. I could have saved 1500 dollars waiting.

Didn't the pro go for $4500 and the LE for $6000? The VE probably had something to do with the XMLE market price not being as high as it's supposed to be.

#180 8 years ago

Thank you jimjim66 for at least making an effort to provide facts and evidence but I think we can see that the original statement of 95% of all NIB will go down is not factually correct, at least if its a descent machine.

Why are you using the top 25, most of those took over 20 years to top what they were NIB, and 90% of them are not available NIB. In fact I have owned most of the B/W and I bought them after they were used and I STILL got them below NIB prices. (Not 10 years later, but close to after production.)

Are suggesting keeping a pin in a box for 20 years to watch it appreciate? Otherwise, I don't understand what you are saying as only 4-5 of the top 25 can be bought NIB, with only 2 actually being in production.

#181 8 years ago

Heck no, I wish. I got it for 7200 shipped. And that was considered a great deal.

#182 8 years ago

The VE probably had something to do with the XMLE market price not being as high as it's supposed to be.

There was NO VE. That is why it is even harder to swallow. The aux board problems, the code, and wolverine toy is what brought it down.

#183 8 years ago

"There is no way there are going to make a Big Lebowski themed pin"

"The Big Lebowski movie is only popular in America"

"Why are you wasting your time on this dumbass TBL thread?"

#184 8 years ago

Listing #2 Premium NIB went for around $6000-$6500, ok some saving but hardy "plenty".

Okay, I got a better quote I turned down as I did not have the funds. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-the-avengers-le-blue-version. Not a premium, but an LE for almost 1500 less, with mods.

You got to give me this one.

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

"There is no way there are going to make a Big Lebowski themed pin"

This one is still up for debate.

#186 8 years ago

Add this on:

"This one is still up for debate. "

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I don't understand what you are saying as only 4-5 of the top 25 can be bought NIB

Let me help you understand

Original Dumb Statement

"if you want an MMr simply be patient and buy one later HUO and save plenty."

Followed by factually incorrect statement

"Since 95% of ALL new pins drop in price, I don't see how this is a "dumb" statement".

Followed my my rebuttle

"Factually incorrect, Take any game in the top 25 see what they sold for MSRP at the time they were for sale through distributors. See what they are currently going for "used" and you will find that in fact 95% of the pins increased in price."

If you cant get NIB you must restore to at least a NIB condition to compare apples to apples. You can get a routed Avengers and say "look it has a lower price than NIB". My statement is the rebuttle to the post of NIB will go down in price and you save plenty. I think it depends on title. A bad NIB pin like WWE will go down in value. A VE like IM will cause negative pressure on market price for that pin. Well documented really bad code like in Avengers will also have a negative effect. Since we were talking about MMR a remake of the #1 ranked pin, I don' think you can compare to WWE ranked at #305. You are not comparing apples to apples. I included the top 25 to make my point but later saw that a similar argument can be made for top 100. At the very least the truth is a lot further than "95% of all new pins drop in price". Very rarely do you "save plenty".

Anyway this has gone completely off topic, beyond this I cannot clarify any further. I suppose we need to agree to disagree and move forward.

#188 8 years ago

Can we just stick with the funny stuff?

#189 8 years ago

When someone says: "Wow! You're a pinball wizard!" or the likes to me...

I just smile and take it as the awesome compliment that it is!

#190 8 years ago
    #191 8 years ago

Factually incorrect, Take any game in the top 25 see what they sold for MSRP at the time they were for sale through distributors. See what they are currently going for "used" and you will find that in fact 95% of the pins increased in price. Pros were going for around $4500 NIB as little as 3 years ago. Good luck finding a minty condition POTC, Tron, Star Trek, Iron Man, Avengers, AC/DC, Metallica, heck even an IJ4 etc for a lot less that $4500 and "save plenty". They are all trending over their MSRP yet in significantly poorer condition than NIB. Older Williams/Bally titles have a similar story in that every title is significantly more than there NIB original price such as MM, TAF, TZ, MB, and pretty much 95% of all the titles. Premiums and LE's seem to follow the pattern as well and in some cases are significantly higher than their NIB MSRP such as AC/DC LE, METLE, TRONLE, LOTRLE,SM Black LE, Star Trek LE just off the top of my head.
    Teekee, as for me paying 9K for my MMr, its my money and my business. I actually have it in my possession for the last 2 months with absolutely no problems and it looks and plays like a NIB perfect condition MM. I buy pinball not to speculate and make money but to play them and enjoy them. Am I ready to spend another 8K for AFMr or MBr ?, you betcha without hesitation and without regrets. Going into MMr threads just to incite and with no business even being there will never dissuade me. You actually sound really dumb when you keep badgering MMR owners about how much they have spent and how much they will lose. For that I suppose all your posts should be quoted and reposted in this thread. There is a reason why you are the most thumb downed person on pinside. Let it go, life's too short.

Not after this:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

#192 8 years ago

"Fully refundable pre-order deposit."

#193 8 years ago

Pinball machines have batteries?

#194 8 years ago

"I would rather not let my kids play pinball until they are a little older, if you know what I'm saying"

His kids were 8 and 10

#195 8 years ago

People here always ask me: "pinball? they still make these?"
    Really every single person I tell about pinball says that.

#196 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

"pinball? they still make these?"

I just heard this from a guy on Saturday, whom I just repaired a JP and BTTF for him!!
    He bought them on Ebay 7 years ago.

#197 8 years ago

"Let me ask the wife"
    or, "let me check with the boss".

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

"I would rather not let my kids play pinball until they are a little older, if you know what I'm saying"

What exactly WAS he saying? My son just turned 2 and can likely out-motor-skill them already.

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

His kids were 8 and 10

My response would have been: "Uh, no, I don't know what you're saying."

#200 8 years ago

Someone crapping on some else's favorite game because they don't agree with it.

There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbest-things-youve-heard-from-others-about-pinball/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.