Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,563 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 439 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    mismatch (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zhu808.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#442 3 years ago

DumbAss

Thanks for inviting me to this beefy thread. Love to read about the process and see the product of your very skilled work. Looking forward to working with you very soon.

-z

1 month later
    #464 2 years ago

DumbAss

Thank you so much for building this display for my Diner machine!! *bump*

IMG_20210503_180335197 (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_180335197 (resized).jpg

#469 2 years ago
    Quoted from mclovinwvu:

High Speed is back from the dead! Thank you for giving me the means to get this pin flipping again!
    [quoted image]

Sweet lighting!

#479 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

The satellite displays are green because those were the ones I had lying around that I could plug in to test with

That green looks quite nice

2 weeks later
    #501 2 years ago

DumbAss Hey buddy. Nice work on those boards up there. Guess what? My ToM was crashing and acting all screwed up, aka essentially bricked. Pulled Kahr board out and it's fixed like magic. How about that?

How are you doing? Got a guy here with an F-14 TC, he might need a display of you're up for it. This'll be somewhere down the road.

Thanks again,

z

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I do have a small surprise coming in the next few weeks. That's all that I will say about this at the moment.

Hmmmmm!!

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Well, I can say that the display boards are AWESOME!!!!!
    Got mine today for Riverboat Gambler. Perfect in every way!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks fantastic!

4 weeks later
    #512 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Wow. It seems the word "unprecedented" is being used a lot but the Pacific Northwest really did just experience an unprecedented heat wave. I was in the region for the previous all time high of 103F in July 2009. I remember that day. The region just experienced three straight 100F+ days.
    I have an external thermometer (not super accurate but reasonable), an internal thermostat and an upstairs thermometer.

Saturday was 103F outside.
    Sunday was 107F outside.
    Monday (the peak) was 112F outside. Inside peaked at 96F main level and 99.99F upstairs.

Needless to say no soldering in that kind of heat! In fact ... no work at all in that kind of heat. Sit in front of the fan and binge watch TV. A welcome break from work but comfort was lacking.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-pinball-auction-2021#post-6357584
    It's been quite a few weeks and I had to get them built after completing some other builds from weeks before the board fabrication order. Thanks to Brad jellikit for his work at Project Pinball. I am very happy to be able to contribute! If anyone has items (or perhaps services) to contribute I am sure that Brad would love to hear from you.

The surprise were the purple PCBs? The donation, or both? Those look super cool. Nice work buddy. Stay cool and take care.

#514 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead_jack:

I want to add my appreciation to the work that Victor is doing. I recently purchased a WPC soundboard for a TZ project and he was great in answering all of my questions and working with me. The board arrived, plugged right in, looks amazing and works perfectly.
    Stay cool and safe and thank you Victor!!

Simply the best.

5 months later
    #611 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Not quite there yet. Got some more answers tonight and there will be one more post after this one with some images of those boards.
    I want to try to get resolution and tie up all the loose ends before the break because it's likely I will forget if I don't do it now. I have one more experiment that does not work as planned and I need to do some more reading and learning before I can get it to work. It involves analog to digital conversion and from what I have read analog circuits are much harder to design than digital circuits. That is definitely the case from my experience. Someone like me that has extensive digital experience (software but some hardware) ... analog is a whole new world.
    I finally got around to uploading the speaker pop eliminator comparison videos.
    Speaker Pop (normal behavior):

Speaker Pop Eliminator (modified behavior):

It can be heard but it's much more pronounced in person. The pop on power off on this Terminator 2 is LOUD.
    This system:

Works for any of WPC-89, WPC-DCS and WPC-95.
    Consists of three boards per machine.

AC power tap.
    Speaker output intercept.
    Relay performing the actual intercept.

Requires constructing wire cables between the component boards (0.156 pins and housings) - no soldering.
    Does not modify the original machine wiring in any way - i.e. non-invasive and is completely reversible.

This is great. Mine aren't so bad that I need one, I think, but I would be very curious about a speaker hum eliminator. Probably just need to put that last missing screw in to ground my PCB.

#612 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

First up ... the most important thing. I learned over the course of a career that if you write long communications then ALWAYS put the most important things at the very top of the communication - including things like summaries. People generally have poor attention spans and only read one or two paragraphs before being overcome by "TL;DR".
    NOTE: I will still be connected while away but response time may be slower than normal. There is a time difference (relative to the US) as well. It's supposed to be time away to "recharge" but I also want to make sure that anybody who has issues with my boards is not left hanging without support. In general the boards are 95%+ true the original Williams schematic and component references so those original schematics should work. If you do have a question feel free to ask (or post as I will be reading the forum occasionally). However if you're waiting for a response from me directly then I ask you to please be patient. Thank you.
    So here's what I got resolution on last night.
    The tieback modification implemented as pass through (tap) boards and a wire cable between the boards.

Terminator 2
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Star Trek TNG (shown in an Indiana Jones but the principle is what applies)
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

The physical fit works but it may require some orientation changes for better efficiency. The silkscreen on the power tap (black) board is incorrect but the electrical function is correct.
    These are the boards that implement this - including the System 11 diode connector board for the LED flasher modification to the Auxiliary Power board. The wire cables I built are also shown. Typically a wire from the power source to the tieback connector. For some it may be multiple wires but the wires can be daisy chained (in parallel) at the drive connector.
    [quoted image]
    And finally I had these boards made about a month or so ago but there was an issue. I rushed it. That's usually when I make mistakes.

The transmitter board is simple and works.
    The receiver board has an error. The order of the row inputs is correct but does not correspond to the correct phototransistor. Therefore it does not produce the correct position in the ball trough so the game gets VERY confused. I built a translator cable to re-order the rows and everything works so I need to fix the ordering in the schematic and re-layout the receiver board. Thankfully I didn't have to cut any board traces and such. The translator cable allowed an easy way to test for any potential fix.

[quoted image]
    Wishing everybody a happy holiday season!

A lovely sight..

#618 2 years ago

This was the funniest commercial I ever saw on television.. in the US

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zhu808.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs?tu=zhu808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.