Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,541 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 433 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    mismatch (resized).jpg
    good (resized).jpg
    boards_355.jpg
    boards_354.jpg
    boards_353.jpg
    boards_352.jpg
    boards_351.jpg
    boards_350.jpg
    boards_349.jpg
    DSCF3077 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gott_lieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Last night I spent a little bit of time looking at the Data East CPU board schematic to build a plan for the board. It's obviously 90%+ identical to the Williams System 11 CPU board but there are differences. I have ideas for an approach but want to solicit opinion because I can try to think of reasons one way or the other but the truth is that the more people who have thoughts and inputs the better the solution will be. I don't believe in "I alone can build it" but I do believe in "I alone will build it and be responsible for it".
    I intend to use the System 11 schematic capture that I have due to the identical 90%+ electrical connections. There are few things that fall out from this.
    1) Do I somehow try to make a "new" universal board that supports both Williams and Data East circuitry in a single board? This is the Rottendog approach for MPU004. It has pros and cons. One pro is a single board to support everything so no need to maintain separate board inventory or potentially component inventory. One con is that the EPROM size jumpers and address line connections are different between the Data East schematic and the Williams schematic. Another con is it will require configuration settings meaning that the user may be required to change settings and any time a user is involved there is potential for error. I know that MPU004 has DIP settings for the switch solenoids and this is obviously a problem because it's documented on the PinWiki page (https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Special_solenoid_problems_with_RottenDog_MPU_board).
    2) Do I make a separate Data East only board that supports the Data East jumpers (J1-J7) and the Data East special solenoid configuration? This minimizes confusion to the end user but means I have a dedicated board with separate inventory.
    3) As a follow on from the differences in the special solenoid configuration it might be possible to make a "bridge board" that bridges the Williams configuration to the Data East configuration and sits between the playfield connector and the board header (much like the special solenoid fuse board). This is a simple end user solution but the end user still needs to remember to install the board (just like the end user would need to set the DIP switches). Human input involvement = potential for error. Nonetheless ... is this a good compromise?
    4) If I do go down a complete separate board for Data East do I keep the Williams physical layout that I already have and make modifications to the physical layout to support the schematic changes? Or do I scrap the Williams physical layout and reproduce the Data East physical layout? Keeping the Williams layout will make time to market MUCH faster because I don't have to re-layout 90%+ of the components and traces. Reproducing the Data East layout will make working on the board easier for those who only have experience with the original Data East layout rather than having to get familiar with the Williams layout and potentially translate between the two different layouts.
    Hmmm. That's a lot for the reader to contemplate. First world problems. <sigh>.
    Any input, feedback or comments are welcome. In the meantime I still need to work through the Data East schematic to identify and collate the differences between it and the Williams schematic to make sure I have a solid foundation to build on.

I don't know if this helps or not, but the only thing different between a DE -3 MPU and an 11C is the pinouts for the special solenoids. I have been running a DE MPU in my Rollergames for years now. For your design, if you use a reset generator, there is no need for +12v on the board at all. However, if you want this board to be compatible with 11/11A/11B also, then you will have to put some thought into the sound section and keep the +12v.

IM000356 (resized).JPGIM000356 (resized).JPG
    #266 3 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

Dumbass
    Now, the possibilities of new DMDs is REALLY something...for example Flipper Football uses a 256 x 64 format which is IMPOSSIBLE to find (I have been looking for years)... what is the likelihood of something like ever seeing the light of day?
    Congrats on figuring out the reversed MOSFETS...gotta love it when it is something simple!

If it helps any, I believe Smart Ball (Skee Ball knock-off) games use this display. We have one, but no way to test it.

The flyer states that Smart Ball uses a 128 x 64 display, but there is another one they use. It's bigger than the display used in Maverick, Baywatch, etc.

3 weeks later
    #307 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My DA designed FunHouse era display panel. Very nice.
    I haven’t taken the protective film off the LEDs yet.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info[quoted image]

There's a battery pack in your Funhouse?!?!?!? Shame. . . . shame. . . .

Nice display, BTW.

1 month later
    #352 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

At some stage in the future. This is the third request for the board. I would put it at 3rd or 4th in the list at the current priority state. The next two boards on the list I have experience with so they should go somewhat quickly. The boards following those I have less experience with and they will take a little longer as I have to go do some reading and research.
    The list of fixes, changes and additions that I have planned for boards in the current work list are nearing completion - ready for fabrication. While waiting for fabrication I will pick off the next board on the list. That would push the System 9 board up the list but not by much. Local repair requests and board requests will take precedence. Fortunately that list is very short at the moment. The next planned board is the Data East CPU.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, please keep the solenoid and spec. solenoid TIP122 / TIP102 drive transistors further away from one another than Data East did. Those things are a total PITA to change out, when they fail.

4 months later
    #492 2 years ago

I can't think of any way to do it, but is there a way this can be integrated to turn off, once the power switch on the game is turned off?

Quoted from KenLayton:

The WPC External Power Supply board works great with both 12 volt and 5 volt accessories. It has 8 output connectors. Connectors match the WPC Power Driver board connectors J116 through J118 pinouts. This is the wall wart I use to power the board.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#494 2 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Yes, re-wire the AC outlet in the switch box to only power when the game is turned on.

I should have added, outside of rewiring the service outlet after the game's power switch.

#496 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Create a connection that plugs into the DBV harness. It output 120v, and is switched.

That would work!

1 month later
    #520 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Bumping this topic, Sorcerer needs to run Sys 9 for the win! (please)

Get a Sys11 and adjust the ROMs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gott_lieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs?tu=gott_lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.