Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,564 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Tophervette
  • Topic is favorited by 440 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.
    #401 3 years ago

Thank you DumbAss!!!

I was pretty excited to get this in the mail today. I was also apprehensive to install it. Not because I didn't trust the board, but I didn't trust myself. The Quality on the board is outstanding, and it has some really nice upgrades from the original. Got it installed and for the first time in 3 1/2 years my TOTAN has correct sound!!!

I could NOT be happier!!!!!

Thank you again Victor!!

Chris

63598979978__19870C83-587F-49F6-9FF3-75DC67FB31EF (resized).jpg63598979978__19870C83-587F-49F6-9FF3-75DC67FB31EF (resized).jpg63598982224__313C9436-67C3-482C-B560-CF5EF814AAD1 (resized).jpg63598982224__313C9436-67C3-482C-B560-CF5EF814AAD1 (resized).jpgIMG_3263 (resized).jpgIMG_3263 (resized).jpgIMG_3264 (resized).jpgIMG_3264 (resized).jpgIMG_3265 (resized).jpgIMG_3265 (resized).jpgIMG_3266 (resized).jpgIMG_3266 (resized).jpgIMG_3267 (resized).jpgIMG_3267 (resized).jpgIMG_3272 (resized).jpgIMG_3272 (resized).jpgIMG_3273 (resized).jpgIMG_3273 (resized).jpgIMG_3276 (resized).jpgIMG_3276 (resized).jpg
    #402 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Got it installed and for the first time in 3 1/2 years my TOTAN has correct sound!!!
    I could NOT be happier!!!!!

You are very welcome Chris. I am glad it has restored your machine's sound.

I notice that you do not have a connector to the "dot power". I assume you have a low voltage display (probably ColorDMD) so you should remove F601 and F602 to prevent the high voltage section from being energized.

#403 3 years ago

I have been working through some big board builds. The one outstanding one I picked up today/yesterday. I will be working on that in the coming days but will likely overlap the dot matrix display with it.

I started building the DE board despite not knowing if/when my package sent with FedEx would arrive. It showed some progress on Wednesday when it showed up in Memphis! That's right west coast to Memphis and back to west coast. You have to love FedEx. They love their Memphis hub. I have seen this before so I suspect the recent weather events in the center of the continent were the reason for the delay. I have also seen packages end up in Oakland and then up the west coast.

tracking.jpgtracking.jpg

Needless to say the package arrived today. It contained the 74LS126 and 74LS273 that I needed to get some functionality on the board. It also had a resistor network in a value that I needed. I was still missing one other value (due to arrive tomorrow = Friday) but the board is pretty much complete without it so I substituted a similar value (it is a pull-up / current limiting resistor so its value is not critical). When I'm very close to being able to test a board I will do what's needed to get the answer!

So I got my answer.

boards_121.jpgboards_121.jpg

There are two assumptions that follow on from that.

1. Passing on the bench is a very good indicator that the board will work in a machine. Boards that pass on the bench work in a machine unless the machine has a wiring error (a fault not due to a fault in the board).
    2. The alphanumeric display exercises all (except comma1+2, comma3+4 and blanking) signals. Dot matrix displays are driven through the 26-pin ribbon cable so if the alphanumeric display passes the dot matrix display data will be correct.

Having said the above I now need to find a dot matrix Data East machine to actually test the board in. I have a Laser War so I can test Laser War that has special support for that game only. I think an optional alphanumeric Data East machine would be nice but necessary as Laser War and dot matrix will cover most every base.

Now to find that dot matrix Data East machine ...

#404 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I have been working through some big board builds. The one outstanding one I picked up today/yesterday. I will be working on that in the coming days but will likely overlap the dot matrix display with it.
    I started building the DE board despite not knowing if/when my package sent with FedEx would arrive. It showed some progress on Wednesday when it showed up in Memphis! That's right west coast to Memphis and back to west coast. You have to love FedEx. They love their Memphis hub. I have seen this before so I suspect the recent weather events in the center of the continent were the reason for the delay. I have also seen packages end up in Oakland and then up the west coast.
    [quoted image]
    Needless to say the package arrived today. It contained the 74LS126 and 74LS273 that I needed to get some functionality on the board. It also had a resistor network in a value that I needed. I was still missing one other value (due to arrive tomorrow = Friday) but the board is pretty much complete without it so I substituted a similar value (it is a pull-up / current limiting resistor so its value is not critical). When I'm very close to being able to test a board I will do what's needed to get the answer!
    So I got my answer.
    [quoted image]

Passing on the bench is a very good indicator that the board will work in a machine. Boards that pass on the bench work in a machine unless the machine has a wiring error (a fault not due to a fault in the board).
    The alphanumeric display exercises all (except comma1+2, comma3+4 and blanking) signals. Dot matrix displays are driven through the 26-pin ribbon cable so if the alphanumeric display passes the dot matrix display data will be correct.

Having said the above I now need to find a dot matrix Data East machine to actually test the board in. I have a Laser War so I can test Laser War that has special support for that game only. I think an optional alphanumeric Data East machine would be nice but necessary as Laser War and dot matrix will cover most every base.

Probaly doesn't help you, but I do still have a LW3 that I could test parts in - unfortunately it's in Alaska

#405 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]
    So I got my answer.
    [quoted image]

Passing on the bench is a very good indicator that the board will work in a machine. Boards that pass on the bench work in a machine unless the machine has a wiring error (a fault not due to a fault in the board).
    The alphanumeric display exercises all (except comma1+2, comma3+4 and blanking) signals. Dot matrix displays are driven through the 26-pin ribbon cable so if the alphanumeric display passes the dot matrix display data will be correct.

I own the following.. and have minor experience doing DE board repair & eprom burning. Happy to help if I can in any way, outstanding work!

Gary

Laser War
    Secret Service
    Torpedo Alley
    Time Machine
    Playboy
    Robocop
    Phantom of the Opera
    Checkpoint
    Star Trek
    Hook
    Star Wars
    Last Action Hero
    Jurassic Park
    Lethal Weapon 3

#406 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

You are very welcome Chris. I am glad it has restored your machine's sound.
    I notice that you do not have a connector to the "dot power". I assume you have a low voltage display (probably ColorDMD) so you should remove F601 and F602 to prevent the high voltage section from being energized.

Yes it does have a color DMD in it. Fuses removed per your recommendation!

Thanks again. So happy to have this game back!

Chris

#407 3 years ago

I think Welby is getting a DE ninja turtles very soon.

#408 3 years ago

Seeing all those photos of displays, DumbAss SURE makes me want to see a 256x64 format...wink-wink!

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I own the following.. and have minor experience doing DE board repair & eprom burning. Happy to help if I can in any way, outstanding work!
    Gary
    Laser War
    Secret Service
    Torpedo Alley
    Time Machine
    Playboy
    Robocop
    Phantom of the Opera
    Checkpoint
    Star Trek
    Hook
    Star Wars
    Last Action Hero
    Jurassic Park
    Lethal Weapon 3

That's an awsome DE collection! Jealous!

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

Seeing all those photos of displays, dumbass SURE makes me want to see a 256x64 format...wink-wink!

In my copious amounts of free time I took a closer look at this the other month. I went to the Olympia Pinball Museum (free plug for Welby) a while ago to help with a Junk Yard and saw a Flipper Football.

I took a look at the display and noticed that it's going to present a problem. Vishay squeezed 16k pixels into what was 4k pixels in roughly similarly sized physical dimensions. This means that pixel size and spacing (pitch or stride) is different (smaller).

The specification actually documents the above dimensions.

• 128x32 (4k pixels). The pixels are circular and spacing is equal horizontally and vertically. The pixels are 1.27mm in diameter and spaced 2.54mm horizontally and vertically.128x32.jpg128x32.jpg
    • 256x64 (16k pixels). The pixels are oval (or rectangular) and spacing different horizontally and vertically. The pixels are 0.635mm by 1.016mm and spaced 1.27mm horizontally and 1.69mm vertically.256x64.jpg256x64.jpg

The 128x32 display is readily made because there are 8x8 blocks and 16x16 blocks that "fit" the measurement criteria.

• The 8x8 blocks are 1.9mm in diameter and spaced 2.5mm horizontally and vertically.
    • The 16x16 blocks are 1.7mm in diameter and spaced 2.5mm horizontally and vertically.

The 256x64 display would require a new block to be made that meets the measurement criteria in order for the 16k pixels to fit in the assigned "viewing area". Neither the 8x8 nor 16x16 blocks will work as they are just too large to fit. Consequently I need to work with the block manufacturer to see if it is even possible to make a block that meets the measurement criteria and how much it will cost to have that custom block made. I haven't contacted the block manufacturer. I intend to do this at some stage in the near future because I need more 16x16 blocks made (I had a small number made for prototyping). I do not have a time frame because I want to build out the 16x16 block display first before committing to purchasing more 16x16 blocks.

#411 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

The 8x8 blocks are 1.9mm in circumference and spaced 2.5mm horizontally and vertically.
    The 16x16 blocks are 1.7mm in circumference and spaced 2.5mm horizontally and vertically.

Does this mean your displays that use the 16x16 blocks have a smaller dot size than the 8x8 blocks? I always preferred a slightly smaller dot size to the current 8x8 LED blocks, that more closely match the dots on the original plasma panels. Do you know how the 16x16 blocks compare to plasma in this regard?

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Does this mean your displays that use the 16x16 blocks have a smaller dot size than the 8x8 blocks?

Yes. I corrected my post above from circumference to diameter. It's a diameter specification.

The 8x8 is 1.9mm and with 16 blocks lined up the viewing area is larger than the 16x16 that is 1.7mm with 8 blocks lined up. Although not by much. The lens covering the LED in the block is visibly larger in the 8x8 than the 16x16.

Quoted from Crash:

Do you know how the 16x16 blocks compare to plasma in this regard?

The Vishay specification says the dots are 1.27mm in diameter. When I put a 16x16 block next to a plasma display the plasma dots are visibly smaller than the 16x16 block. What's odd is that it visibly appears the difference between the plasma to 16x16 is smaller than the difference between the 16x16 to 8x8. Which is odd because the nominal measurement difference is 0.43mm to 0.2mm. When I look at a measuring tape I can't the difference between 0.2mm so I suspect that the specification of 1.7mm diameter is a little larger than it actually is. It might be closer to 1.5mm - i.e. closer to the middle of the difference between the 8x8 and the plasma.

The dot size is: plasma < 16x16 < 8x8.

Quoted from Crash:

I always preferred a slightly smaller dot size to the current 8x8 LED blocks, that more closely match the dots on the original plasma panels.

I think you'll definitely want the 16x16 if you're looking for an LED replacement to a plasma. As I said above the dots are visibly bigger but not much bigger. Without the 8x8 blocks to compare it would pass for a very similar size. It's not easy to capture an image of the comparison due to parallax error. I think to have any chance of removing the error I would need a tilt-shift lens.

I plan to try to get an 8x8 as well as a 16x16 panel in a machine and take some pictures so it can be seen how it will look. It's in the pile of work.

#413 3 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

That's an awsome DE collection! Jealous!

Thanks! I picked up a Time Machine as my first DE and liked the gameplay and humor so much I just kept going.

20200916_195257 (resized).jpg20200916_195257 (resized).jpg
    #414 3 years ago

This is the comparison between 8x8 and 16x16 in WHITE.

It is VERY hard to capture due to the high dynamic range required.

• 8x8: The blocks show a gap between them. It's possible to change block layout so they are closer but the closer they are together the harder they are to insert when building the board and the harder they will be to service if/when a block goes bad. The dots are also visibly larger versus the 16x16 when you look at the black on white images.
    • 16x16: The blocks do show a gap but you have to look hard and it is only more easily seen in the black on white image. The gap is due to soldering job on the blocks. It is possible to keep the gap minimal if you solder one in and then align each subsequent block. There is also variance in how close the block sits to the board due to the molded plastic of the block. The dots are visibly smaller than the 8x8. You can see the amount of black between each dot in the black on white images.

White on black images.

• 8x8boards_122.jpgboards_122.jpg
    • 16x16boards_123.jpgboards_123.jpg

Black on white images.

• 8x8boards_124.jpgboards_124.jpg
    • 16x16boards_125.jpgboards_125.jpg

I definitely like the 16x16. I will try to get images from a real machine (probably Terminator 2) when I next get a chance.

#415 3 years ago

That looks awesome! Less grid lines, looks closer to original plasma dots, and is more repairable. These can also be used in Data East 128x16 displays if you ever wanted to do those some day.

#416 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

This is the comparison between 8x8 and 16x16 in WHITE.
    It is VERY hard to capture due to the high dynamic range required.

8x8: The blocks show a gap between them. It's possible to change block layout so they are closer but the closer they are together the harder they are to insert when building the board and the harder they will be to service if/when a block goes bad. The dots are also visibly larger versus the 16x16 when you look at the black on white images.
    16x16: The blocks do show a gap but you have to look hard and it is only more easily seen in the black on white image. The gap is due to soldering job on the blocks. It is possible to keep the gap minimal if you solder one in and then align each subsequent block. There is also variance in how close the block sits to the board due to the molded plastic of the block. The dots are visibly smaller than the 8x8. You can see the amount of black between each dot in the black on white images.

White on black images.

8x8[quoted image]
    16x16[quoted image]

Black on white images.

8x8[quoted image]
    16x16[quoted image]

I definitely like the 16x16. I will try to get images from a real machine (probably Terminator 2) when I next get a chance.

What would the LED displays look like with a color plastic smoke filter over the displays?

#417 3 years ago

Tonight was machine verification night. Two posts for two separate topics.

The first is the Data East CPU board. I went to test it the other day in a friend's Tommy. It worked great - as expected. No images.

I tested it tonight in Laser War. Laser War is the odd machine in that the SRAM is located at a different address in the memory map so I wanted to verify the jumper settings before declaring victory. So here it is ... working in my Laser War.

boards_126.jpgboards_126.jpgboards_127.jpgboards_127.jpg

I will update the first post with availability and bare board pricing. I had five boards made so there are four boards available - either bare or complete. It is compatible with all Data East games.

#418 3 years ago

Testing moved to the DMDs. Several different colors and block sizes. Also shown is a filter. The Terminator 2 I have came with a red plastic filter to make the orange plasma look red. I put that back in to see what would happen to the white display.

Quoted from vec-tor:

What would the LED displays look like with a color plastic smoke filter over the displays?

Unfortunately I only have the red filter. The brightness can be adjusted low to produce something akin to gray - I guess.

Display images are difficult to capture on a digital camera due to the high dynamic range required. In real life the displays are sharp, crisp and bright. If you're not into ColorDMD and want an upgrade this is a good solution. The high voltage DMD "buzz" is no longer present when using these displays.

The white DMD is BRIGHT. I think it's beautiful and might consider replacing a lot of my displays with it. Brighter than the original plasma and low voltage!

The orange DMD is brighter than the original plasma.

The base brightness is set using a 1.8k resistor with a pot in the final path. Higher brightness levels can be achieved by substituting a lower resistor value if desired. If the brightness is excessive the pot can reduce it to the desired level. The low voltage for this test was taken directly from the J116/J117/J118 connector - directly from the +5V and not the +12VU with regulation. On the master board the LED and logic voltage is drawn from the same source but it should be possible to draw them from different sources to alleviate any potential drop in the +5V source to reduce potential for watchdog resets. The datasheet for the LED driver say it has a maximum output supply voltage of +17V but +12VU is unregulated (nominally at +12V but often measured at +14V) and it would probably be better to regulate it although the driver IC is constant current output. I would need to experiment to see if this is truly possible.

• The board itself.boards_128.jpgboards_128.jpg
    • The white DMD with the red filter.boards_129.jpgboards_129.jpgboards_130.jpgboards_130.jpg
    • White DMD using 16x16.boards_131.jpgboards_131.jpg
    • White DMD using 8x8.boards_132.jpgboards_132.jpg
    • Orange DMD using 16x16.boards_133.jpgboards_133.jpg
    • White DMD 16x16 fit.boards_134.jpgboards_134.jpg
    • White DMD 8x8 fit.boards_135.jpgboards_135.jpg
    • Orange DMD 16x16 fit.boards_136.jpgboards_136.jpg
    • 8x8, 16x16 and original plasma size comparison. Parallax error compensation is required.boards_137.jpgboards_137.jpg
    #419 3 years ago

That's great! I believe the PinballSP DMDMK66 LED display uses both 5v and 12v to run the panel. I can get photos of this panel if it helps give you an idea on how this is achieved.

#420 3 years ago

DumbAss

Quoted from DumbAss:Tonight was machine verification night. Two posts for two separate topics.
    The first is the Data East CPU board. I went to test it the other day in a friend's Tommy. It worked great - as expected. No images.
    I tested it tonight in Laser War. Laser War is the odd machine in that the SRAM is located at a different address in the memory map so I wanted to verify the jumper settings before declaring victory. So here it is ... working in my Laser War.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    I will update the first post with availability and bare board pricing. I had five boards made so there are four boards available - either bare or complete. It is compatible with all Data East games.

That’s awesome! I’d be interested in one of your blank Data East MPU boards to do a test build. Sounds like fun.

From the description it sounds like it will almost cover all the Data East boards but the -4 version wasn’t listed. That board seems to work well in place of a -3 but has an extra connector on the upper right. Not sure what games if any actually need that. If you plan on making any other revisions it would be great to try and include that too.

#421 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

That's great! I believe the PinballSP DMDMK66 LED display uses both 5v and 12v to run the panel. I can get photos of this panel if it helps give you an idea on how this is achieved.

I plan to look at the datasheet some more. I intend to revise the master board so I'm thinking if I don't explicitly create a prototype board I might just put the option for a different supply for the LED and a jumper to allow the current implementation.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

From the description it sounds like it will almost cover all the Data East boards but the -4 version wasn’t listed. That board seems to work well in place of a -3 but has an extra connector on the upper right.

None of the Data East manuals seem to document the -4 version. The PinWiki mentions a -3 board with a -4 label but the schematics in the very last manuals (Baywatch and Batman Forever) only document the -3 version. If anyone has images or knows of the differences I can certain add any if there are differences but without the information there's nothing I can do.

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

None of the Data East manuals seem to document the -4 version. The PinWiki mentions a -3 board with a -4 label but the schematics in the very last manuals (Baywatch and Batman Forever) only document the -3 version. If anyone has images or knows of the differences I can certain add any if there are differences but without the information there's nothing I can do.

I can't find my notes but I thought the -4 boards had connection for a printer, otherwise the same as -3.

Can someone confirm?

#423 3 years ago

I happen to have a -4 board. It is my spare for Rocky and Bullwinkle unless I'm lucky enough to find another Data East game that happens to need an MPU board.

The only difference that stood out is that CN3 has 3 extra pins. The -3 board has a spot for the extra 3 pins but they are empty. Not sure if that is the only difference or not. If you based your board on the -3 and kept the same layout with the opening for that extra connector then you may be all set. If I get a chance I'll see if I can pull it out and get pictures side by side the -3 for comparison if it will help.

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The only difference that stood out is that CN3 has 3 extra pins. The -3 board has a spot for the extra 3 pins but they are empty. Not sure if that is the only difference or not. If you based your board on the -3 and kept the same layout with the opening for that extra connector then you may be all set. If I get a chance I'll see if I can pull it out and get pictures side by side the -3 for comparison if it will help.

Williams boards used these three pins for three signals.

• Comma for player 1/2.
    • Comma for player 3/4.
    • ~BLANKING to disable the display if the blanking signal is stuck.

In Williams games which only had numeric displays the BCD indicates the digit for player 1/2 and player 3/4 but did not contain information for the comma. When the switch was made to alphanumeric segments instead of BCD data the ~BLANKING signal was moved to the 26-pin ribbon cable connection and the comma signals were rendered obsolete.

Data East essentially duplicated (they may have actually licensed although I don't know anything about the history) the electronics - including the 3 extra signals in 1J3 (CN3). Since Data East games started with Laser War and are all at least alphanumeric the signals were never used. They are re-purposed as additional features. I don't know enough about Data East games to know for sure which games use the signals.

The reproduction board includes the circuitry for the signals. If that's the only difference then the board is compatible (provided a 12-pin header is installed instead of a 9-pin header).

de_cn3_10-12.jpgde_cn3_10-12.jpg
    #425 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Data East essentially duplicated (they may have actually licensed although I don't know anything about the history) the electronics - including the 3 extra signals in 1J3 (CN3). Since Data East games started with Laser War and are all at least alphanumeric the signals were never used. They are re-purposed as additional features. I don't know enough about Data East games to know for sure which games use the signals.

From the distributor shows that I would go to back in the day....
    1) Data East was using ex-Williams designers AKA Joe Kaminkow...
    2) Data East wanted a system that operators all ready know...
    3) Data East wanted to go into production "up and running" as fast as possible.
    4) Data East wanted the operator "in a pinch" to be able to take another manufacturers boards and
    --- "plug-in-play" to get the Data East game making money ASAP.
    5) Data East games have extra long wiring harnesses to the playfield so one can remove the hole
    --- playfield from the game and have it rest on the side of the cabinet in order to trouble chute
    --- difficult problems and have the game on at the same time.
    6) Data East wanted their games to be more operator friendly and have a loyal customer base.
    7) Joe Kaminkow wanted to change pinball and "push the envelope"... the only thing that was not
    --- exploited at the time, was the displays... " I wanted a show for the bystanders...
    --- not rely for the player, playing the game."
    I hope this answers some questions.

#426 3 years ago

Great history! Thanks for sharing. I don't think that has been explained in detail before.

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Great history! Thanks for sharing. I don't think that has been explained in detail before.

Data East had rights to William's hardware but not the software which had to be written from scratch. One reason a lot of early hardware interchanges. Displays, power supplies, etc.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Data East had rights to William's hardware but not the software

True. I know each Data East's games program, are different from one game to the next...
    it all depends on who was the lead on the assigned game.
    Over the years, the programers slowly came together with a more universal/uniform platform
    to work off of.

1 week later
    #429 3 years ago

Wow. How have I not seen this thread before? Great work DumbAss !

#430 3 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:Wow. How have I not seen this thread before? Great work dumbass !

The name dumbass caught my attention...didn’t think it would be this good.

#431 3 years ago

Hey DumbAss (finally can say this without getting ejected )

Would you happen to have a Williams A-14689-1 Coin Interface Board ?

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Hey DumbAss (finally can say this without getting ejected )
    Would you happen to have a Williams A-14689-1 Coin Interface Board ?

Is that the one listed in the first post in the thread?

WPC Coin Door Interface board is A-14102 (5768-12716-00) or A-14689 (5768-12855-00).
    Board is WPC-CDI-001.
    Price is $30.
    Compatible with games from Funhouse to Judge Dredd.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs#post-4975338

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#433 3 years ago

It might work, I have a Williams Indiana Jones

#434 3 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

It might work, I have a Williams Indiana Jones

It's compatible. PM if you're interested in one. I have boards available.

For WPC-89 Williams switched coin door interface boards with Star Trek (TNG). They switched it again with WPC-95 but only changed one connector (and key pin configuration).

I try to keep all boards in stock as much as possible but I am discovering that demand is 150% unpredictable. The busier I am the harder it is for me to track everything going on and stock counts sometimes (rarely) suffer.

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Dang it, we should have taken pictures.

Victor, not sure where you ended up on the Capcom Flipper Football display. I have a NOS one if you need it to borrow.

#436 3 years ago

Did you not provide header for RS232?

#437 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Did you not provide header for RS232?

I have never seen one populated in any board I have ever seen. I try not to spend time on things that I don't know anything about, have never seen used and have no way of verifying correctness.

From what I have seen boards were often designed with options that were never used or they remained static (fixed configuration) through the lifetime of board usage. I generally remove them because it's extra complexity that must be verified and confusing for any end user.

If you have information on what the RS323 connector is for that would be great.

#438 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I have never seen one populated in any board I have ever seen. I try not to spend time on things that I don't know anything about, have never seen used and have no way of verifying correctness.
    From what I have seen boards were often designed with options that were never used or they remained static (fixed configuration) through the lifetime of board usage. I generally remove them because it's extra complexity that must be verified and confusing for any end user.
    If you have information on what the RS323 connector is for that would be great.

Yup! Short history:
    Both the RS232 and the Coin Counter were standard, implemented features for WPC-95 games. WMS sold a 'kit' for each. The RS232 kit included a Chip that plugged into the AV board, and a DB9 socket that the operator had to solder in, with a cable to connect the two. The coin counter 'kit' was .. well, just a coin counter, that was soldered to the board.

By plugging the chip in and soldering in the DB9, you got the same functionality as the Printer Board on WPC-89 games. I did it to all my WPC-95 games on-location (though honestly, I just bouth the parts from my local stores instead of paying WMS an over-priced amount for the same crap). Anyways, just happened to notice those masks missed in your board, is why I asked.

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Yup! Short history:
    Both the RS232 and the Coin Counter were standard, implemented features for WPC-95 games. WMS sold a 'kit' for each. The RS232 kit included a Chip that plugged into the AV board, and a DB9 socket that the operator had to solder in, with a cable to connect the two. The coin counter 'kit' was .. well, just a coin counter, that was soldered to the board.
    By plugging the chip in and soldering in the DB9, you got the same functionality as the Printer Board on WPC-89 games. I did it to all my WPC-95 games on-location (though honestly, I just bouth the parts from my local stores instead of paying WMS an over-priced amount for the same crap). Anyways, just happened to notice those masks missed in your board, is why I asked.

I wish my coin drop was so heavy I could justify a counter kit in any game that offered it. I did get an electronic coin counter/sorter that I use on collections after any event that justifies it. I can count a little faster by hand, but feeding the sorter and then walking to grab the next batch of coins (since I log each game’s coin drop) is faster than doing it all by hand.

#440 3 years ago

Commenting to follow this thread! Great work all around. Will keep watching.

#441 3 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I wish my coin drop was so heavy I could justify a counter kit in any game that offered it. I did get an electronic coin counter/sorter that I use on collections after any event that justifies it. I can count a little faster by hand, but feeding the sorter and then walking to grab the next batch of coins (since I log each game’s coin drop) is faster than doing it all by hand.

Will keep it short since it's off-topic, but having been a computer nerd since the early C=64 days, I had written a small telnet program (that ran on a 386) to 'capture' WPC95 printouts so that I could collect the coins and grab the readings before moving on. And then do all paperwork and counting elsewhere. I rarely used the actual coin counters. But I didn't do that 'for business', I did it because I wanted to learn how to.

#442 3 years ago

DumbAss

Thanks for inviting me to this beefy thread. Love to read about the process and see the product of your very skilled work. Looking forward to working with you very soon.

-z

#443 3 years ago

Good Work. Will buty when i have enough to pay in my paypal.

#444 3 years ago

You are officially the new Rottendog. You've already done more than Jim has ever accomplished from what I can tell. Great work!

#445 3 years ago

Just completed the build of a Williams System 11b MPU from a bare PCB, it's gone into a Big Guns that had been sadly neglected for many many years.

The support from DumbAss was fantastic, can't thank him enough.

There is a whole load of work that goes into these boards, I really enjoyed making mine. Fired up and played first time! A testament to the quality of the product. It took an age to source all the components, so hats off to Victor for offering completed boards, it's a big challenge to build them. For me delf build was what I wanted to do, and all my annoying questions were answered promptly. Big thanks for that.

Cheers

Cris

IMG_6529 (resized).jpgIMG_6529 (resized).jpg
    #446 3 years ago

Just received system 11 board as well ....all I have to say is, Great Work.
    I love the redesign of these, ohh and the labelling is just awesome.
    Great work Victor
    Thank you

#447 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrisUK:

Just completed the build of a Williams System 11b MPU from a bare PCB, it's gone into a Big Guns that had been sadly neglected for many many years.
    There is a whole load of work that goes into these boards, I really enjoyed making mine. Fired up and played first time! A testament to the quality of the product. It took an age to source all the components, so hats off to Victor for offering completed boards, it's a big challenge to build them. For me delf build was what I wanted to do, and all my annoying questions were answered promptly. Big thanks for that.
    Cheers
    Cris
    [quoted image]

How much time does it take to put that board together? Must be hours.

#448 3 years ago

K

Quoted from CrisUK:

Cheers
    Cris
    [quoted image]

I agree 100% just received my Bare Bones System 11 kit and am excited to source my parts and build these boards myself. The quality is amazing.

#449 3 years ago

I agree 100%. The quality is fantastic. And being red, it makes me feel like I have prototype boards in my game! LOL

Chris

#450 3 years ago

Well these technically are prototypes since nothing is final.

There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/9?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.