Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,564 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Tophervette
  • Topic is favorited by 441 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 32.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from Postal_ET:

Chris Hibler demonstrates one of your test boards here: DumbAss CHRISHIBLER

Awesome!

The order of the special solenoids (17-22) is due to the order of the pins in the housing (either at the board end or the tester end). Let's get this fixed. I'll work with you offline (PM) to get this sorted out.

I am confident that when I get your pending slave and universal master alphanumeric boards sent out, you have them assembled and working you will be happy. A single (dynamically switchable) board for all Williams System 11 and Data East alphanumeric game software. No more "difficult to read" displays.

#252 3 years ago

An update. I know people have made requests for other reproductions and I have a few pending boards to build and/or pack ... but sometimes I can't help myself. This expiring mind MUST know if board(s) that have arrived work or not. So I spent yesterday (Sunday) building the boards after spending Saturday helping three different people with completely different problems.

This is a pet project of mine. Almost a holy grail of boards for me. It might seem silly but every person is different and every person has different likes and hates when it comes to different aspects of a pinball machine. So ... what is it?

It's the 128 x 32 dot matrix display (DMD). A compatible low voltage version built with (almost) all through hole components. I have always wanted a white display for a Twilight Zone. I'm a few steps closer to it but not there yet.

I originally had prototypes made using a different board for each of the different subsystems (interface, columns, rows and LED blocks) connected with ribbon cables. The prototype mostly worked (did show some problems but no logic problems) and I attributed the problems to the likely reason I had not used a big enough trace for the power lines. I had confidence to go ahead with the complete board due to the lack of logic problems.

The display is built from two boards using the same (initial) scheme I used for the alphanumeric displays - a master (logic) and a slave (panel). The Stern (and Vishay) displays use SMT (surface mount technology) components in the space around the LED blocks as they are small and can all fit onto the front of the board. THT (through hole technology) components are larger and require more space. To accommodate the additional space requirement the master mounts to the back of the slave and is connected through inter-board connectors - a lot of them for all the signals.

I got this completely installed last night but it didn't work 100%. It only worked 50%. All the columns worked. Half of the rows worked. I went to sleep dejected at the failure. While all excited it was difficult to switch off and laying there the problem dawned on me. It aligns perfectly with what I often tell people "creativity (or solutions) don't happen on demand". It turns out I put the row drive MOSFETs in backward. The MOSFETs are mirrored symmetrically along a line to make trace routing easier and more consistent. I put the MOSFETs in the same orientation and forgot about the mirroring. I swapped them around this morning and it works! Passes the WPC (T11) display test 100%.

boards_095.jpgboards_095.jpg

I need to finalize what actual MOSFET will be used. The prototype allowed for use of SMT, TO-253 or TO-220 components. I used the IRLML6401 on that prototype and it exhibited some problems. I used the FQU17P06 and FQP17P06 for the TO-253 and TO-220 components and they worked just fine. So I ended up using them on the initial board. The FQU is much smaller than the FQP so I think the board will default to using them. Perhaps a small daughter board to support the IRLML6401 for those that want the SMT component. It's much cheaper than the FQU. It's also much more fiddly to solder in.

boards_096.jpgboards_096.jpg

The only SMT component is the (constant current) LED driver. It's not available as THT so the SOIC to DIP adapter is required. There is a pot to adjust brightness. The master board supports the low voltage (Stern) 4-pin connector or the high voltage (Williams) 8-pin connector. I might toy with the idea of using the +12VU on the Williams connector and regulate it down to +5V for the display so as not to tax the +5V circuit. One downside of this is that it would tax the +12VU on the Williams connector but it should be fine (unless the +12VU line is loaded down with a lot of mods or LED strips). The other is that it would require either board space or (yet) another daughter for the regulator.

The only things left for me to do are to arrange for LED block manufacturing in some different colors and test fit the display in an actual machine to make sure it actually works (fits the required physical dimensions). The board does not require specific LED blocks from any specific manufacturer. Blocks can be purchased from sites that sell a 1.9mm row anode compatible component.

Today is a happy for me. I got this working on the initial revision after a single prototype!

#253 3 years ago

Congratulations DA! Very nice!

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#254 3 years ago

Whoa that's awesome! Glad to see someone besides Brett at X-PIN designing these.

#255 3 years ago

Vic, you're a madman.....but you make good stuff...pumped these out last weekend...

dumass2 (resized).jpgdumass2 (resized).jpg
    #256 3 years ago

I really like the use of those "box" connectors instead of the OEM "naked" dual row headers.
    Too many times, I've positioned a ribbon one row off, which is impossible to do with the box connectors. Nice.
    --
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#257 3 years ago

Victor's boards have spawned quite a bit of interest.
    I completed a System 11/Data East configuration of Solenoid Test board, Switch matrix test board, and lamp matrix test board. The latter two boards can be purposed for WPC/WPC-95 games too, and many more with a little wire bundle construction effort. I dedicated these boards to my System 11/Data East setup...because that is where I needed it the most.

Following is the link to the video:

Notes from the Video:
    All of the test equipment shown in this video was designed by "DumbAss". I obtained a "kit" from him and built each of the panels, which was pretty easy. Creating the various wire bundles was the most time consuming.

These boards are multi-system capable, including both WPC and WPC-95. Additional individual harnesses would need to be constructed.

Note that the special solenoid switch and coil drives connectors are on a single connector. This was my attempt to minimize the number of connectors I have to install/remove each time that I test a board.

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I really like the use of those "box" connectors instead of the OEM "naked" dual row headers.
    Too many times, I've positioned a ribbon one row off, which is impossible to do with the box connectors. Nice.

Yes, double yes. These are referred "shrouded" (as opposed to what WMS and a lot of repro manufacturers used is 'unshrouded'), and never understood why board repros never used these - cost difference is minimal.

#259 3 years ago

My experience with the box sockets shows that if you have a reproduction harness with the connectors fitted backwards, you will have to shave off the plastic notch with a razor. Or else the connector will not fit in the boxed socket.

#260 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

My experience with the box sockets shows that if you have a reproduction harness with the connectors fitted backwards, you will have to shave off the plastic notch with a razor. Or else the connector will not fit in the boxed socket.

True. I use a sharp flush cutter to nip them off when I run into this.

#261 3 years ago

DumbAss

Now, the possibilities of new DMDs is REALLY something...for example Flipper Football uses a 256 x 64 format which is IMPOSSIBLE to find (I have been looking for years)... what is the likelihood of something like ever seeing the light of day?

Congrats on figuring out the reversed MOSFETS...gotta love it when it is something simple!

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

for example Flipper Football uses a 256 x 64 format which is IMPOSSIBLE to find (I have been looking for years)... what is the likelihood of something like ever seeing the light of day?

I just took a quick look at the available Capcom manual at IPDB and it doesn't show anything about the logic. That manual just shows connections between the boards not the specifics of the board. Without knowing what the protocol is it's hard to be sure. I could guess that it's probably the same protocol used for the 128 x 32 but just quadrupled to 256 x 64 but I'm not certain. It looks like it uses a 14-pin ribbon cable so odds are good it's the same serial protocol. Add to that I don't have a bench rig, know anyone with the game or any familiarity with Capcom and I'll be honest with you the odds are fairly low (realistically close to zero).

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

never understood why board repros never used these - cost difference is minimal.

True that the cost is minimal. One possible reason is trying to maintain spacing. I have retrofitted these connectors onto original WPC-89 CPU boards and there is a need to cut one of the sides off in order to have the header fit. For another connector there is a need to cut a part of it to fit over an IC. If a socket is installed at that IC it makes it even more difficult.

The shrouded headers take more board space. I can't say that's the reason but I did have to shuffle things around to get both the headers to fit in at the top and for them to fit in at the sides.

#264 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

True that the cost is minimal. One possible reason is trying to maintain spacing. I have retrofitted these connectors onto original WPC-89 CPU boards and there is a need to cut one of the sides off in order to have the header fit. For another connector there is a need to cut a part of it to fit over an IC. If a socket is installed at that IC it makes it even more difficult.
    The shrouded headers take more board space. I can't say that's the reason but I did have to shuffle things around to get both the headers to fit in at the top and for them to fit in at the sides.

True, which is why I said 'Repro' boards. If (anyone) is making repro boards to that exact and fine of a detail, then... well, I'd be very surprised.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I could guess that it's probably the same protocol used for the 128 x 32 but just quadrupled to 256 x 64 but I'm not certain. It looks like it uses a 14-pin ribbon cable so odds are good it's the same serial protocol.

Most likely. Here's a trick I learned, you can connect a 128x32 game to a Sega 192x64 DMD and it will show the image with unused dots around it. Likewise, you can do the opposite and show most of a 192x64 game on a 128x32 DMD.

#266 3 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

Dumbass
    Now, the possibilities of new DMDs is REALLY something...for example Flipper Football uses a 256 x 64 format which is IMPOSSIBLE to find (I have been looking for years)... what is the likelihood of something like ever seeing the light of day?
    Congrats on figuring out the reversed MOSFETS...gotta love it when it is something simple!

If it helps any, I believe Smart Ball (Skee Ball knock-off) games use this display. We have one, but no way to test it.

The flyer states that Smart Ball uses a 128 x 64 display, but there is another one they use. It's bigger than the display used in Maverick, Baywatch, etc.

#267 3 years ago

Any Black Friday deals? I could use a System 11 MPU and display set.

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Any Black Friday deals?

I hadn't planned on any. I've been focused on trying to get boards ready for the next order. When I'm in this frame of mind I just stay focused on it and try to avoid any distractions. Once the order is placed it takes time so I can then switch to something else.

Having said that ... I don't keep stock of completed boards. I only have one completed WPC-89 CPU board ready to go (I built two at the same time and one was requested). I can't complete requests very quickly. It takes time to build boards. If I spend time building boards it means I'm not spending time working on the next board. It's a trade-off.

It's the festive season though so I will offer a 10% discount on bare boards only. It still takes me time to pull, pack and send boards but it's much less time than the time to pull boards, pull components, prepare components, insert components, solder components, wash the board, test board, pack the board and send the board. The discount is good until the end of Cyber Monday (PST). The discount is only good for bare boards that I have in stock. Some boards I have a reasonable number (but not a lot) and some I have only a handful. I don't know what my counts are. Sorry.

#269 3 years ago

Do you sell boards with components not installed? Just curious.

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Quoted from DumbAss:

It's the festive season though so I will offer a 10% discount on bare boards only.

That sounds like a "yes".

#271 3 years ago

It looks like people have been buying kits and building boards that way.

#272 3 years ago

Is there a list of bare boards and/ or kits available?

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

@tonyhoff1, I can answer that. Yes. He does. Several of us have purchased various boards and assembled them ourselves.
    --
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#274 3 years ago

My internet and TV is currently out (happened on early Saturday and the technician appointment is Monday so that effectively means the entire weekend). I am using my phone as a hot spot so I am keeping my online time to a minimum (and getting other things done in the meantime).

I don't normally offer kits. It's too much effort to pull the different components and count them. Particularly for common components like resistors, capacitors or transistors. If I get a count wrong or miss a component I'm going to get follow up on that I then have to deal with. This has already happened. It always resolves but it's just not a good use of my time. It's always the same trade-off ... if I'm doing this I'm not doing that. There's only 24 hours in a day. In a billion years when the Earth's rotation has slowed enough due to the Moon's gravitation pull the days might be 40 hours long.

Here's a list of what's available as BARE BOARDS. I do provide complete boards (fully assembled and mostly ready to go) but completed boards have build time associated with them. There are other boards that I have that aren't listed. There are also other boards that don't obviously work that need investigation. The list uses my internal board identification system. It should be obvious if you have some familiarity with the boards. For those that aren't obvious it will be expanded to help understand it. Boards with daughter board plug-ins include all daughter boards required for support.

- SYS-011-CPU (nothing) is $110.
    - SYS-011-CPU (A/B) is $105.
    - SYS-011-CPU (C) is $100.
    - S11-CPU-FSS (special solenoid fuse board) is $5 with CPU board purchase.
    - SYS-011-AUX (including $5 discount) is $55.
    - SYS-011-ICT is $55.
    - S11-BZR-ICT is $65.

- WPC-089-PWR is $100.
    - WPC-089-CPU is $55.
    - W89-CPU-SEC (security PIC support) is $5 with CPU board purchase.
    - WPC-089-SND is $50. Has more information available if interested in this.
    - WPC-089-FLP is $45.

- WPC-OPT-R03 is $20. Redesigned with LED indicators.
    - WPC-OPT-R07 is $30. Redesigned with LED indicators. Original Williams design available if desired.
    - WPC-OPT-R10 is $35. Redesigned with LED indicators.
    - WPC-OPT-R16 is $35. Redesigned with LED indicators. Original Williams design available if desired.

- WPC-CDI-001 (coin door interface type 1 = early WPC-89) is $30.
    - WPC-CDI-002 (coin door interface type 2 = late WPC-89 and WPC-95) is $30.

These are displays and these include the alphanumeric LED blocks in a color of your choice (orange/red/green/blue/white). Some colors cost a little bit more.

- DBM-ALP-QUD (master quad alphanumeric also includes discrete displays - e.g. High Speed) is $110.
    - DBU-PNL-QUD (quad display panel - e.g. F-14) is $100
    - DBU-PNL-DBL (double display panel - e.g. Whirlwind) is $100.

These are testers. Inquire if you need more information.

- WPC opto tester bundle is $35. Also available individually.
    - Bench tester bundle is $40. Also available individually or as System 11 or WPC bundles.
    - Portable tester bundle is yet to be determined (likely to be $105) but needs final verification before being made available. Also available individually or as System 11 or WPC bundles.

That's information overload so my apologies.

#275 3 years ago

Internet and TV is back! Sure was slow using my phone as a hot spot. I wanted to upload some images of the last working thing but the upload was so slow it kept failing. It got me thinking about what people did before TV or radio? I guess they actually socialized and played card games or other such things.

Back in the days when I was working at the CPU instruction level it was important to keep the pipeline full. Out-of-order execution processors were good at keeping their pipelines full but those with less complicated circuitry were bound by the order of execution. I fall into the latter category (less complicated circuitry). I have recently had a flurry of communications that have ended up in about two+ weeks of work ahead of me. This means that while I have made an effort to keep the new board pipeline full (I have an order that is about ready to be shipped to me) these new items will not get much attention or time until I've complete the more immediate work at hand. I might use them as a distraction. It's like that integer divide instruction that takes about 400 times more cycles to complete than the simple integer addition instruction. Avoid the integer divide instruction like the plague.

I finally got around to testing the portable system yesterday. Here are the results.

WPC testing in a Terminator 2. This machine does not have a fliptronic board so I didn't test the fliptronic connectors but their principle of operation is the same as the other solenoids. The only thing to verify is the pin connections and I can do that on the bench.

boards_097.jpgboards_097.jpg

With the speaker panel in place (so you can see the display) this is the clearance between the boards and the woofer.

boards_098.jpgboards_098.jpg

Clearance to the DMD.

boards_099.jpgboards_099.jpg

The single diagnostic panel. It unifies the bench boards. A single board at a machine is easier to deal with than three or more boards.

boards_100.jpgboards_100.jpg

The bigger picture.

boards_101.jpgboards_101.jpg

Onward to System 11 and my favorite test machine.

boards_102.jpgboards_102.jpg

Clearance is good.

boards_103.jpgboards_103.jpg

And the bigger picture.

boards_104.jpgboards_104.jpg
    #276 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Internet and TV is back! Sure was slow using my phone as a hot spot. I wanted to upload some images of the last working thing but the upload was so slow it kept failing. It got me thinking about what people did before TV or radio? I guess they actually socialized and played card games or other such things.
    Back in the days when I was working at the CPU instruction level it was important to keep the pipeline full. Out-of-order execution processors were good at keeping their pipelines full but those with less complicated circuitry were bound by the order of execution. I fall into the latter category (less complicated circuitry). I have recently had a flurry of communications that have ended up in about two+ weeks of work ahead of me. This means that while I have made an effort to keep the new board pipeline full (I have an order that is about ready to be shipped to me) these new items will not get much attention or time until I've complete the more immediate work at hand. I might use them as a distraction. It's like that integer divide instruction that takes about 400 times more cycles to complete than the simple integer addition instruction. Avoid the integer divide instruction like the plague.
    I finally got around to testing the portable system yesterday. Here are the results.
    WPC testing in a Terminator 2. This machine does not have a fliptronic board so I didn't test the fliptronic connectors but their principle of operation is the same as the other solenoids. The only thing to verify is the pin connections and I can do that on the bench.
    [quoted image]
    With the speaker panel in place (so you can see the display) this is the clearance between the boards and the woofer.
    [quoted image]
    Clearance to the DMD.
    [quoted image]
    The single diagnostic panel. It unifies the bench boards. A single board at a machine is easier to deal with than three or more boards.
    [quoted image]
    The bigger picture.
    [quoted image]
    Onward to System 11 and my favorite test machine.
    [quoted image]
    Clearance is good.
    [quoted image]
    And the bigger picture.
    [quoted image]

Must buy me one of these test sets! Super Awesome.

#277 3 years ago

Yes I want a test kit also.

#278 3 years ago

Sorry. Forgot pricing. I punched the numbers into my algorithm.

Portable Tester System 11 bare is $75.
    Portable Tester WPC bare is $80.
    Portable Tester Bundle (System 11 and WPC) bare is $105.

Portable Tester System 11 complete is $150.
    Portable Tester WPC complete is $175.
    Portable Tester Bundle (System 11 and WPC) complete is $200.

The definition of bundle is NOT two separate sets but one of each of everything required for either System 11 or WPC. Bring the single panel and the connector boards you need for the machine you're investigating.

Ethernet patch cables are NOT included in any configuration.

The reasons for being priced more expensive than the bench testers are due to:

- the panel is a big board (board area is a factor in pricing).
    - there are a LOT of small little boards (each board has a base cost).
    - the connectors are not as cheap as standard headers and housings.

Essentially the convenience drives up the costs. In my opinion it's worth it. When I first connected this up to the Terminator 2 I opened the coin door to enter the diagnostics and then remembered that I needed to use the panel. That was weird. I am so used to seeing the diagnostic readout on the bench and not at the machine. It was good to see the diagnostics at a machine without having to remove the board from the machine. This is a good way to exclude playfield versus board when diagnosing an issue.

#279 3 years ago

How close is the system11 tester be to working with System 9 as well. I know the MPU boards are close, but i don't know the nuances between them.

#280 3 years ago

The System 9 board is mounted upside down. Actually ... it's mounted right side up if you look at the silkscreen. The System 11 board is mounted upside down. As Albert Einstein said it's all relative depending on your point of reference.

I see from a picture on IPDB that there's more than adequate clearance for the connectors. The problem with System 11 board mounting location is that the connectors have very tight clearance from the speaker panel when the display is in place.

For System 9 I cannot comment on whether the light board has enough clearance from the connector boards when the backbox is in place (in order to be able to see the displays). I simply have no experience with it and no machine to do any testing or measuring.

#281 3 years ago

So for people interested in anything I have available are aware ... I got a flurry of requests and for the first time I'm behind and have had to build a list of things to track everything that is going on. I thought I bought enough of some parts but clearly I was wrong and will need to order some additional parts for complete orders. I guess I underestimated the demand. This really began as an adventure for me and being able to help people diagnose problems or keep their machines running is definitely rewarding.

I don't want this to prevent people who are interested in anything but I want to be clear that I have a backlog and I will complete things as quickly as I can. I want to help as much as I can but for these boards I do EVERYTHING as a one-man show. I ask for some patience. If you have a pressing need for something let me know in your request and I can try to shuffle things. Some boards I can't speed up no matter how much you need (unless I have a board ready-to-go which would typically mean using the board(s) I used to make sure everything works or robbing from my bench rig). The big boards fall into that category.

Thanks to everyone now and in the future for the support!

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Thanks to everyone now and in the future for the support!

Hang in there. I, for one, appreciate all of your efforts!

#283 3 years ago

Seems like this is the package sending season. Lines at the post office are insane from mid-morning all the way through the day until almost closing. They are going out into the lobby area. I've never seen FedEx deliver on the weekend (unless you request some form of ultra priority). I had FedEx deliver one package on Sunday the other week and today they delivered a package on Saturday. They must also have a backlog or high demand. Looking at the FedEx transportation network it appears they have multiple flights from their hubs to the same metropolitan areas. Operating B777 and MD11 aircraft and multiple flights they must be BUSY.

I placed this (now next to last) order before I got the recent requests for boards to keep my pipeline full. The pipeline is now interrupted and has stalled. Something like the CPU flushing the pipeline and restarting everything. A cheap CPU I worked with in a past life used this as a "get out of jail free" card.

These boards will have to wait until I've cleared my backlog. It'll be a while.

As mentioned this board was completed before the influx. It was 90%+ complete so I just went back and double-checked everything and completed the board. Found an error and hopefully haven't missed any others. We'll see. Status is going to remain unknown for a while.

boards_105.jpgboards_105.jpg

I slipped these small boards into the same order. The Data East to Williams converter. It converts the signals from Data East CN18 to Williams 1J18 and Data East CN19 to Williams 1J19. This should allow a Data East CPU board to be used in a Williams System 11 machine without any custom wiring to make the special solenoid section compatible.

boards_106.jpgboards_106.jpg

And with that ... back to boards, components and soldering. I am barely (if at all) reading any help request threads here.

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I don't normally offer kits. It's too much effort to pull the different components and count them. Particularly for common components like resistors, capacitors or transistors. If I get a count wrong or miss a component I'm going to get follow up on that I then have to deal with.

Have you thought about partial kits?

Maybe just include some of the active components or one-off parts, and then leave out the common parts like caps & resistors that most people already have or could easily get from anywhere.

Or, maybe get a scale and weigh the components, rather than counting them out individually by hand.

#285 3 years ago

The WPC95 A/V board excites me

Chris

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

The WPC95 A/V board excites me
    Chris

Are they that hard to get? The AV board?

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Are they that hard to get? The AV board?

Yup.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe just include some of the active components or one-off parts, and then leave out the common parts like caps & resistors that most people already have or could easily get from anywhere.
    Or, maybe get a scale and weigh the components, rather than counting them out individually by hand.

i made a jig for counting resistors for the LDB kit. Just pull the reel of resistors across a board with counting lines on them. It is still a pain in the ass to do. Even rectifier board kit can take a surprisingly long time to pack up kits. Something like a MPU board ... yeah right... that would be a nightmare to count out parts for.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have done some of this (offline - in PM) with people who have asked for it. I have also provided either part numbers or links if requested. Aside from the reasons I have mentioned above (counting, etc) I don't like to endorse any particular manufacturer or merchant. Everyone has a choice. I don't want to force my choice on someone. I can also possibly confirm compatibility of a choice if need be. I have done this (offline) as well.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from barakandl:

It is still a pain in the ass to do.

Quoted from barakandl:

Something like a MPU board ... yeah right... that would be a nightmare to count out parts for.

Agree with the response from barakandl. I did compile and send out a kit for the WPC-89 CPU board. I knew it was something that I really didn't want to do. After doing it I confirmed to myself that it was something I really don't want to do again.

In summary: help is provided if need be. Part numbers and/or links can be provided if requested. Obscure or difficult to obtain components can be provided if requested (and assuming I have some stock - I usually do). I may have posted this before but if not I will post it again ... I understand apprehension at acquiring components. Looking at lists of part numbers on Mouser or Digikey can scare even the most hardened and experienced electronics shopper. When I search for parts I still feel this. I provide help to the best of my ability. I am sure anyone who has already asked for it can attest to this.

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Looking at lists of part numbers on Mouser or Digikey can scare even the most hardened and experienced electronics shopper. When I search for parts I still feel this. I provide help to the best of my ability. I am sure anyone who has already asked for it can attest to this.

Agree wholeheartedly with looking up parts. That is part of the reason I like suppliers like Ed @g-p-e. He’s already done most of the legwork and there is value in that.

I can attest to DA’s helpfulness. Truly a great help.

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I am sure anyone who has already asked for it can attest to this.

I can attest to this wholeheartedly!!!

#292 3 years ago

I am interested in one of the System 11 bars boards for a pinbot I am working on. Does the board come with a list that breaks down what parts need to be ordered and what goes where or is the board designed i such a way the bill of material from the original manual provides the information needed?

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from spalmer:

Does the board come with a list that breaks down what parts need to be ordered and what goes where or is the board designed i such a way the bill of material from the original manual provides the information needed?

Both. I have a document available. The original Williams manuals provide most of the information as the reference and values very closely match. The physical location is mostly the same as well although not 100% identical. Some of the OEM parts like the bussed resistor/capacitor networks (SRC) have been replaced by a bussed resistor network and discrete capacitors. You won't find the information about the capacitors in the original Williams manual but it is contained in the document.

#294 3 years ago

I guess the one other question I have is why the price difference between the 11/a, b, and c. The B and C boards where pretty much the same just some of the sound section was not populated. What am I missing?

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from spalmer:

The B and C boards where pretty much the same just some of the sound section was not populated. What am I missing?

It's an implementation detail. The simple answer is that features removed or differences in component values are implemented in different daughter boards that plug into the main board.

The more detailed answer is that there are three daughter boards. One implements the digit display. A second implements the amplifier. A third implements the sound/speech (DAC).

The base board implements the common features.

Between System 11 (nothing) and System 11A Williams removed the digit display and introduced the 3 LEDs.
    Between System 11A and System 11B Williams removed the amplifier and changed some values of components in the analog section.
    Between System 11B and System 11C Williams removed the entire sound/speech section.

Each of those removed sections is implemented on a daughter board. If I didn't implement it this way I would need a separate board for System 11 (nothing) versus System 11A. The additional daughter boards, removal of the battery holder and reset section allowed me to insert discrete capacitors that complete the circuit (as designed) for the OEM "SRC" components that are no longer manufactured. Each of the 8 SRC components for the sound and display signals requires a discrete capacitor and each capacitor takes up physical board space. Through hole components take up a lot more space than surface mount but are more easily serviced. These boards do not use surface mount components (except the AV ASIC).

1 week later
    #296 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I have done some of this (offline - in PM) with people who have asked for it. I have also provided either part numbers or links if requested. Aside from the reasons I have mentioned above (counting, etc) I don't like to endorse any particular manufacturer or merchant. Everyone has a choice. I don't want to force my choice on someone. I can also possibly confirm compatibility of a choice if need be. I have done this (offline) as well.

Agree with the response from barakandl. I did compile and send out a kit for the WPC-89 CPU board. I knew it was something that I really didn't want to do. After doing it I confirmed to myself that it was something I really don't want to do again.

I sell some very simple boards and kits (not pinball related). The board assembly is a bit tediuos, but I can test them thoroughly before I send them out and I know the quality of the assembly (either my hand-soldered, my reflow, or an assembler), which means they work and just keep working.

With the kits, there's only one way of putting them together that works and myriad ways to put them together incorrectly. Which puts me in a quandry when that happens; there's very little reward in trying to remotely diagnose problems in even a simple product and even if its their fault, that leaves me with an unhappy customer.

Not to mention the incredible hassle of sourcing and stocking all the parts and assembling the kits.

#297 3 years ago

IMO, a bare board tends to be daunting to those without the skill to at least try to debug the situation. I tend to force myself to learn things by jumping into the deep end and taking my lumps in the school of hard knocks. If someone is building through hole systems and using things like sockets, the odds of borking a board go down a lot. Especially if the design is amenable to sectional testing(like the Arduino Pinball Controller).
    EDIT: I mean this as a positive, btw. It tends to self select the people last likely to need hand holding. Not to mention that a large part of these boards are for testing, which further self selects for people interested in circuit repair in the first place.

#298 3 years ago

I will soon be assembling some LISY boards. Just have to wait for all of the parts to arrive from Digikey.

For me, it's just like building a Heathkit back in the day. I had fun doing that with my dad. He was a big Heathkit fan too. In fact, he was still using his hand built Heathkit equipment up till the day he died.

#299 3 years ago

I have a couple bare boards on the way as well. System 11 and 89. Have a BK2000 CPU that I can't figure out what the problem is.

#300 3 years ago

wpc sound would be a huge hit!

There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/6?hl=mjalexan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.