New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 242158)

DumbAss test and reproduction PCBs

By DumbAss

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by xeneize
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 115 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pbl-600-0060-00 (resized).jpg
    boards_080.jpg
    boards_077.jpg
    boards_078.jpg
    boards_079.jpg
    sneak_peek.jpg
    boards_077.jpg
    boards_074.jpg
    boards_075.jpg
    boards_073.jpg
    boards_071.jpg
    boards_072.jpg
    boards_070.jpg
    boards_069.jpg
    boards_068.jpg
    boards_067.jpg

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 days ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

I like this!!!...Can this be purchased? Diagnostic tools is money well spent.

Sorry. Not yet. Still in development. Keep following along. My next board fabrication order will probably include these boards for portable diagnostics.

And I agree that diagnostic tools is time and money well spent! If you cannot determine the cause of failure you cannot succeed.

#202 3 days ago

Regarding the “two module solution” for the WPC power/driver board solenoid connections, it would be nice if the two modules “stay together” when the tech removes them. It would be a bit frustrating to have to pull “layers” of connectors off.

Nitpicking...
    The adapter at J114 is picking up either the 5 or 12V to power the solenoid LEDs (I assume). Ethernet cable is nice and a bit overkill since those voltages can be picked up by clipping to a power/driver board test point.

An adapter there also requires removing the games J114 connector, plug in the adapter, pug J114 into the adapter and then reverse to uninstall. I think I’d prefer a simple one pin connector to either 5 or 12V TP. FWIW.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#203 3 days ago

Anyone else find it ironic that DumbAss is clearly one of the smartest people on Pinside? I'm probably not the first person to post that...

#204 3 days ago

I love that Williams WPC external power board for 12 volt accessories. My buddy Welby Bergum usually has me wire up several led light strips on his machines so that board would be very handy for us. He's got about 100 machines in his collection (and growing daily, just got a Game Show, DE Hook, and Theater of Magic). We could buy the blank boards if they come with a shopping list for Mouser or digikey (we have accounts with them) and I could assemble them.

#205 3 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

orry. Not yet. Still in development

ok I will be following

#206 2 days ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Regarding the “two module solution” for the WPC power/driver board solenoid connections, it would be nice if the two modules “stay together” when the tech removes them. It would be a bit frustrating to have to pull “layers” of connectors off.

This is indeed a problem. I knew this would be the case but couldn't think of a solution at the time of laying out the connectors. The issue with these connectors is that it is a very tight fit in the are of the board headers and there's not a lot of room for large boards. That's the X and Y axis. When you factor in the Z axis (the TIP102 and TIP36Cs) it adds another dimension (literally) of difficulty. I have since thought of a solution and will need to re-work the boards and have new ones made. This will add time but that's the cost of development. It's part of the reason why I created this thread so that people can see that development is not quick and easy and a reason why people just don't bother with this kind of stuff.

All feedback welcome. The more detail oriented the better. 80% of development is done in 20% of the time. The remaining 20% of development (the polish) often takes 80% of the time.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

The adapter at J114 is picking up either the 5 or 12V to power the solenoid LEDs (I assume). Ethernet cable is nice and a bit overkill since those voltages can be picked up by clipping to a power/driver board test point.
    An adapter there also requires removing the games J114 connector, plug in the adapter, pug J114 into the adapter and then reverse to uninstall. I think I’d prefer a simple one pin connector to either 5 or 12V TP.

True and valid points. The power connector actually is a tap for +5V and GND. The diagnostic panel needs the GND reference for the switch side of diagnostics as well as for the state indicator LEDs. I can see two possibilities for accommodating your suggestion. The solution can involve both methods.

1) Provide a 0.100" connector for power - +5V and GND. This will require crimping a connector with the appropriate length of wires.

2) Provide turret test points for alligator clip connections for +5V and GND.

#207 2 days ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I love that Williams WPC external power board for 12 volt accessories. My buddy Welby Bergum usually has me wire up several led light strips on his machines so that board would be very handy for us. He's got about 100 machines in his collection (and growing daily, just got a Game Show, DE Hook, and Theater of Magic). We could buy the blank boards if they come with a shopping list for Mouser or digikey (we have accounts with them) and I could assemble them.

Say "Hi" to Welby for me. Haven't seen him since he stopped contributing to the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show.

I tested these with a hard drive power brick last night and they provide the correct voltage. I want to test these in a machine to make sure. Then I need to discuss with my friend what he wants to do. These were made for him and I don't want to infringe on his turf. We'll be meeting up in the near future. Hopefully I'll have it tested before then but otherwise we could possibly test in one of his machines.

As a reminder I do provide fully assembled (complete) boards but there is lead time as I don't want to spend time keeping stock available when I could spend time working on the next project. I will stop and build boards if there is a request for one. For these boards I will need to update my spreadsheets with BOM information and then transfer the BOM information into a table in a document. This BOM is small enough I could spend some time trying to figure out Digikey or Mouser BOM lists.

#208 2 days ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Anyone else find it ironic that DumbAss is clearly one of the smartest people on Pinside? I'm probably not the first person to post that...

Agree.
    Just put one of his MPU boards in my Whitewater and it is running like a champ.
    Love the NVRam and the fact that the ribbon cable plugs have boxes around the plug ins so you can’t put them on poorly and miss some pins.

#209 2 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I can see two possibilities for accommodating your suggestion. The solution can involve both methods.

1) Provide a 0.100" connector for power - +5V and GND. This will require crimping a connector with the appropriate length of wires.

2) Provide turret test points for alligator clip connections for +5V and GND.

I just thought of another option...

3) provide a .156 4 pin header to any of J116/J117/J118. All three of these headers have 5/12/GND available. It isn't necessary to connect all of those during diagnostic testing.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#210 1 day ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Say "Hi" to Welby for me. Haven't seen him since he stopped contributing to the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show.
    I tested these with a hard drive power brick last night and they provide the correct voltage. I want to test these in a machine to make sure. Then I need to discuss with my friend what he wants to do. These were made for him and I don't want to infringe on his turf. We'll be meeting up in the near future. Hopefully I'll have it tested before then but otherwise we could possibly test in one of his machines.
    As a reminder I do provide fully assembled (complete) boards but there is lead time as I don't want to spend time keeping stock available when I could spend time working on the next project. I will stop and build boards if there is a request for one. For these boards I will need to update my spreadsheets with BOM information and then transfer the BOM information into a table in a document. This BOM is small enough I could spend some time trying to figure out Digikey or Mouser BOM lists.

If these WPC external power accessory boards are available, Welby said he'd want ten of them. We've got a ton of WPC machines we could use them in. We make our own led light strip mods and use the original WPC power connectors and our own "Y" cables to connect them to the WPC power driver boards.

#211 1 day ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Has anyone taken the time to put together a mouser or digikey list that orders 70-80% of the items to make it easier?

I have and will share it. I've built "projects" on mouser for the MPU, SND and PWR boards. I've built all 3 from these projects. There are some components that you have to get from elsewhere. I used taydaelectronics.com and utsource.com for the items mouser didn't have.

#212 23 hours ago

Suggestion on the WPC External Power accessory board: a lot of mods/accessories out there use the Stern SAM/WhiteStar 3 pin Molex (Gnd/5V/12V). A couple of those on your WPC board would be helpful for mod creators. Pic of a sample Power splitter for Stern is attached:
    pbl-600-0060-00 (resized).jpg

#213 23 hours ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I need to set up a store.

Yes, you do!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 209.99
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 27.99
    $ 999.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 11.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 12,500.00
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside