Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,564 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Tophervette
  • Topic is favorited by 441 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 32.
    #1351 9 months ago

You got to get a helper Victor.

#1352 9 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

You got to get a helper.

My (local) buddy has some suggestions but it will take some time to implement. I also have a (potentially facetious) suggestion that I just stop and do my own thing for me.

The biggest issue is trying to get ahead of the 8-ball. Things come in faster than things going out. It reminds me of my job about 20 years ago. Anyone familiar with a program called "cl.exe" will know that it defaults to "/W3". Everything I did was to W4 specification but the problem is that working on a team with people defaulting to W3 meant that issues caught at W4 were not noticed. Essentially, it took a big effort to get to and stay at W4. My situation now feels a lot like "W4 deja vu".

#1353 9 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

So a couple of @dumbass's

Victor's work is incredible so a extra pair of couldn't hurt.

#1354 9 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Set for White Water.

CPU
    Power Driver
    Fliptronic
    Sound (image shows incomplete but now complete)
    Dot Matrix Controller - daughter board HV support
    Coin Door Interface
    7-opto
    2-opto (not shown)

[quoted image]

Victor, not going to lie, but I started salivating when I saw this. I think that means I have a problem, haha

Quoted from Methos:

Honestly, Victor is the type of person that someone could do an apprenticeship under. He’s like that college professor that everyone wants and you have the most terrible time getting classes under. I’m honestly shocked that he’s available to us and someone hasn’t poached him from the community.

Victor, you’re work is amazing and if anyone can be so lucky to have your boards in their game, they should thank their lucky stars. Thank you!

#1355 9 months ago

Look at those beautiful boards for some happy pinballers building new machines. Great work Victor!

#1356 9 months ago

Awesome work for sure. Keep it up.......

#1357 9 months ago

I am sure I am going to get flamed for suggesting this, but couldn't some of the board work be done via JLCPCB or another company? Inspection would still come back to you, before the end product goes out.
    Your stuff is great. It would be wonderful to get it even as a half completed board from an outfit like one of those.
    Mike

#1358 9 months ago

Stands on soap box and turns blow torch on full blast. Maybe somebody in a Basement could make boards for resale. LOL.

3 weeks later
    #1359 8 months ago

I recently installed a nearly complete set of WPC-89 boards that I purchased from Victor, and I just wanted to share how extremely impressed I am with the quality of his boards. He provided great communication throughout the order and build process, and the boards themselves have worked flawlessly since I installed them in my game. After a few weeks of testing, I can confidently say that the quality of Victor's boards is unmatched in the market today. Highly, highly recommended!

#1360 7 months ago

I have one of victor’s WPC-89 CPU boards (for my TZ). Does anyone have a mouser or equivalent shopping cart they can share for the components?

My existing CPU has battery damage that keeps getting worse….

#1361 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

I have one of victor’s WPC-89 CPU boards (for my TZ). Does anyone have a mouser or equivalent shopping cart they can share for the components?

I thought that I had one saved from when I purchased components for an OEM board build, but apparently not. sorry about that.
    if I recall, the components were pretty easy to source with the exception of the ASIC (which you're probably transferring from your original board).

#1362 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Hole please, I should still have the BOM from Mouser.

Ken

#1363 7 months ago

Mice cause Hole with a BOM? Get a cat that is a mouser. LOL....I am cracking myself up.

#1364 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

Mice cause Hole with a BOM? Get a cat that is a mouser. LOL....I am cracking myself up.

I had to read that twice...LOL

#1365 7 months ago

Still working through the build queue. I am a little behind but trying hard to catch back up. It's the unpredictable interruptions that cause me to lose control of the calendar.

Sometimes, I finish up my planned tasks for the day early. I usually switch off when I reach this point and try to unwind a bit. Sometimes, I do the preparation work for planned tasks for the next day. Tonight, I decided to finish off something that has been sitting for a week or so.

I had made a small board to verify alphanumeric displays. It can actually serve as a "control" for display output. Instead of swapping displays or CPU boards between machines to do a differential diagnosis between display or CPU, this small little board can take the place of the CPU since it drives the display pretty much the same way the WMS software does. It does not use the same algorithm, logic or code since the WMS code is 6802 and uses the 1ms interrupt timer. The code runs on a small microcontroller and is not timer/interrupt driven.

• This is the alphanumeric (functional) board and associated 8P8C (ethernet) adapters. The adapters can be used so that standard 8P8C (ethernet) cables can be used. It is also possible to build your own regular cables using pins and housings.boards_330.jpgboards_330.jpg
    • This is the numeric board. It drives WMS 6-digit (WMS3-6) or 7-digit (WMS6A-9) displays. I don't have the comma and blanking adapter made but it's not difficult. I wanted to have the alphanumeric working first.boards_331.jpgboards_331.jpg
    • These are the corresponding adapters on the display side. WMS double alphanumeric support only at the moment. The difference is in the power adapter. WMS changed the pins so each display type needs its own adapter. The software supports all the configurations as shown in the silkscreen.boards_332.jpgboards_332.jpg
    • Display adapters plugged into the display panel.boards_333.jpgboards_333.jpg
    • Functional board and adapters with cables installed waiting to be connected.boards_334.jpgboards_334.jpg
    • Adapters installed.boards_335.jpgboards_335.jpg
    • The test rig. Just needs power to be applied.boards_336.jpgboards_336.jpg
    • Power applied and a video taken. In the video, the blue light can be seen and this is visual feedback of the step button.

The software starts by displaying a "splash" screen. It shows the version (date) and lets the user know that the "step" button will start the test. Of course, if there's a problem with the display then you won't see this and have to know that "step" is required to start the testing. The top latching button controls either "running" or "paused" state.

In the running state, the software just cycles through its test.

1. All segments and all strobes for about one second.
    2. All segments for each strobe cycling through the top display and then the bottom display.
    3. Each segment for all strobes cycling through each segment.

In the paused state, the software will wait for the step button to advance to the next cycle in the test. This allows a logic probe to be placed at the appropriate points on the display to probe for signal transmission.

The software supports all alphanumeric displays.

• Inverted 16 = WMS double and WMS jackpot. These are the standard displays used in Earthshaker, Black Knight 2000 and Whirlwind as examples.
    • Normal 16 = WMS discrete and DEC double. These are displays used in High Speed (WMS discrete) and The Simpsons (DEC double) as examples.
    • Normal 14 = WMS quad and DEC quad. These are the display used in F-14 and Swords of Fury as examples.

I still need to verify the numeric version on a numeric display and make the comma/blanking as well as power 8P8C adapter boards. I know the numeric software works in my virtual test bed.

This works as expected and is pretty much ready if anyone only wants alphanumeric support. Options exist so inquire with messaging. If a complete board is desired, a normal IC socket will be used rather than a ZIF. I only installed a ZIF as it makes software development much easier when switching ICs in and out. ZIF can be installed on request.

#1366 7 months ago

OK, I am sure this question reflects my limited understanding of electronic circuit design, but

Would it be possible to design a small interface board that would allow someone to control the strength of a modern shaker motor with a dial, like attached to a variable resistor or something?

That would be very useful.

RussMyers

#1367 7 months ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, I am sure this question reflects my limited understanding of electronic circuit design, but
    Would it be possible to design a small interface board that would allow someone to control the strength of a modern shaker motor with a dial, like attached to a variable resistor or something?
    That would be very useful.
    RussMyers

Like the one on the pinsound shaker board?

#1368 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

Like the one on the pinsound shaker board?

Ayup, I guess so.

Had no idea, never used a Pinsound shaker kit - "Adjustable shaker power intensity with knob" (from site)

Yes, can a board be made that could be plugged into the harness of say a Stern/PInballlife/Whatever shaker that could do the same thing?

RussM

#1369 7 months ago

I ask because I see a lot of posts from people asking how they can adjust the shaker intensity without going to all the hassle of changing weight orientation, which is kind of a PITA.

RM

#1370 7 months ago

This should be what you're looking for
    https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller/dp/B07XYSBQK7/ref=dp_prsubs_sccl_1/143-0316676-3387701
    I had one of those Red Tremor shaker motors from Cointaker on my Walking Dead and it was WAY to strong. Installed this and dialed it down until I was happy with the strength. Had it for several years and it has worked great.

#1371 7 months ago
    Quoted from action76:

This should be what you're looking for
    https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller/dp/B07XYSBQK7/ref=dp_prsubs_sccl_1/143-0316676-3387701
    I had one of those Red Tremor shaker motors from Cointaker on my Walking Dead and it was WAY to strong. Installed this and dialed it down until I was happy with the strength. Had it for several years and it has worked great.

From the reviews:

"I got one of those orange shaker motors for my pinball machine. It is way over the top and shakes far too much. I put this in, between the shaker circuit board and the motor and turned it down. I wish I had done this earlier.
    Note that some report that this should not be used on the newest Stern machines that are Spike System as it may burn out the nodes."

#1372 7 months ago

I would like to thank Victor for his generous donation of boards to this year's Project Pinball silent auction at Expo.

Special edition purple System 11B CPU and System 3-7 Unified CPU/Driver boards (with additional features installed)

The Unified board does support 3-7 but without the DIP Input board, it is not possible to change S3 settings. Victor has graciously offered to provide one of these boards to the winner but the board is only available in red.

He is a great supporter of the charity and we can't thank him enough. These purple boards are gorgeous and will make the winner bidder(s) very happy.

victor1 (resized).jpgvictor1 (resized).jpgvictor2 (resized).jpgvictor2 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #1373 6 months ago

This all looks great, do you ship to the UK ? how do I order bare or populated boards ?

#1374 6 months ago
    Quoted from nutty:

This all looks great, do you ship to the UK ? how do I order bare or populated boards ?

I’ve been trying to figure out how to order anything at all

#1375 6 months ago
    Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I’ve been trying to figure out how to order anything at all

Start with send a PM to DumbAss

LTG : )

1 week later
    #1376 6 months ago

I try not to post images of every board I build. It would probably get tiresome since it's mostly the same stuff. Every now and then though, it's different. I have a few different colors available that aren't readily advertised. Mostly incidental or by specific request.

• This board is available in GRN and was requested.boards_337.jpgboards_337.jpg
    • A local repair technician asked me for a loaner and I only had my (RED) bench board available. So I loaned out the board. The person where this loaner was being used really wanted to purchase the board. It almost felt like he wouldn't take no for an answer. So I let it go. Of course, this meant I had to build a replacement. I guess the color makes it obvious it's a loaner and where it came from (and needs to be returned to).boards_338.jpgboards_338.jpg
    • The GRN board is available. Someone has already received two. Here's another one. The BLK board I have been sitting on unbuilt. This is a verification of the board (should work since it is the same as a previous board that works aside from color). The red board is a different board but there for contrast.boards_339.jpgboards_339.jpg

Summary: some boards are available in alternate colors. Default color is RED. Alternate color on request only. Alternate color is currently limited run (i.e. I have not decided if I want to make more of the color).

• WPC-89 CPU available in RED/GRN/BLK.
    • WPC-89 PWR available in RED/GRN/BLK.
    • System 11A/B/C CPU available in RED/GRN. System 11N (nothing) requires digit and amplifier boards only in RED. If there is some demand for this I can have the those (small) boards fabricated in GRN.

I am clawing my way back to being on track - probably ahead of schedule now. That's a good thing because I have a bunch of other things I am working on in time slices (late in the evening). I still have three complete board sets to build which will keep me busy for weeks to come.

#1377 6 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I try not to post images of every board I build. It would probably get tiresome since it's mostly the same stuff. Every now and then though, it's different. I have a few different colors available that aren't readily advertised. Mostly incidental or by specific request.

This board is available in GRN and was requested.[quoted image]
    A local repair technician asked me for a loaner and I only had my (RED) bench board available. So I loaned out the board. The person where this loaner was being used really wanted to purchase the board. It almost felt like he wouldn't take no for an answer. So I let it go. Of course, this meant I had to build a replacement. I guess the color makes it obvious it's a loaner and where it came from (and needs to be returned to).[quoted image]
    The GRN board is available. Someone has already received two. Here's another one. The BLK board I have been sitting on unbuilt. This is a verification of the board (should work since it is the same as a previous board that works aside from color). The red board is a different board but there for contrast.[quoted image]

Summary: some boards are available in alternate colors. Default color is RED. Alternate color on request only. Alternate color is currently limited run (i.e. I have not decided if I want to make more of the color).

WPC-89 CPU available in RED/GRN/BLK.
    WPC-89 PWR available in RED/GRN/BLK.
    System 11A/B/C CPU available in RED/GRN. System 11N (nothing) requires digit and amplifier boards only in RED. If there is some demand for this I can have the those (small) boards fabricated in GRN.

I am clawing my way back to being on track - probably ahead of schedule now. That's a good thing because I have a bunch of other things I am working on in time slices (late in the evening). I still have three complete board sets to build which will keep me busy for weeks to come.

I really like the Black color, its got some pep.

#1378 6 months ago

Figured I would ask before tracking the parts down myself, anyone have links for the BOM for WPC-98 Power board?

#1379 6 months ago

Almost finished with my black security CPU. Ordered a couple wrong connectors for the bottom, and smd chips instead of through hole. They are looking better with each build.

IMG_0423 (resized).JPGIMG_0423 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #1380 5 months ago

I wanted to give a big thank you to Victor for all he does producing these boards, answering questions, and helping in anyway he can. I decided to install nvram in my three WPC89 games. First one went perfect, ram desoldered just like any other chip I have done. Installed the socket and then put the ram in. Game works perfect. Pulled the CPU out of Corvette and No Fear. Started on No Fear first, and that was a complete nightmare. Could not remove the ram without lifting pads, not matter how hard I tried. I took a break, then tried Corvette. Decided to cut all the legs from the chip first and do one leg at a time. This wasn't going any better. Not sure how those WPC security boards were made, but they did not want to come apart. I've socketed plenty of chips on all sorts of boards, but these two really kicked my ass.

So I contacted Victor and he sent me out two sets of CPU boards in black. Just finished up the second CPU yesterday for No Fear. Both games booted right up without any issues. Can't thank Victor enough for producing these. Going to order a third set and just assemble with my spare parts from the first two. (I tend to over order when getting supplies).

Pics of the board for No Fear.

IMG_0477(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0477(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0478(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0478(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (resized).JPG
    #1381 5 months ago

Looking for a lite help, assembling the dmd board and the one surface mount chip I got from Mouser doesn't seem to have any identification for number one. I pulled the data sheet and it says it should have a notch on one end. These chips don't really show a notch, but a little spot one each end that is identical. The chip I bought is M74HC595YRM13TR. It takes 4 of them for the board. Any help is appreciated. The other chips are clearly identified by a dot. This one seems to be a crap shoot.

IMG_0486 (resized).jpegIMG_0486 (resized).jpegIMG_0487 (resized).jpegIMG_0487 (resized).jpeg
    #1382 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Looking for a lite help, assembling the dmd board and the one surface mount chip I got from Mouser doesn't seem to have any identification for number one. I pulled the data sheet and it says it should have a notch on one end. These chips don't really show a notch, but a little spot one each end that is identical. The chip I bought is M74HC595YRM13TR. It takes 4 of them for the board. Any help is appreciated. The other chips are clearly identified by a dot. This one seems to be a crap shoot.

It's not a notch. It's a bevel and it is subtle. I have encountered these before on DIP ICs. Not something I would choose to use to differentiate pin 1.

m74hc595.jpgm74hc595.jpg

#1383 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I wanted to give a big thank you to Victor for all he does producing these boards, answering questions, and helping in anyway he can. I decided to install nvram in my three WPC89 games. First one went perfect, ram desoldered just like any other chip I have done. Installed the socket and then put the ram in. Game works perfect. Pulled the CPU out of Corvette and No Fear. Started on No Fear first, and that was a complete nightmare. Could not remove the ram without lifting pads, not matter how hard I tried. I took a break, then tried Corvette. Decided to cut all the legs from the chip first and do one leg at a time. This wasn't going any better. Not sure how those WPC security boards were made, but they did not want to come apart. I've socketed plenty of chips on all sorts of boards, but these two really kicked my ass.
    So I contacted Victor and he sent me out two sets of CPU boards in black. Just finished up the second CPU yesterday for No Fear. Both games booted right up without any issues. Can't thank Victor enough for producing these. Going to order a third set and just assemble with my spare parts from the first two. (I tend to over order when getting supplies).
    Pics of the board for No Fear. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What pinsound tracks are you running? The ones I’ve heard on YouTube are terrible !

#1384 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

It's not a notch. It's a bevel and it is subtle. I have encountered these before on DIP ICs. Not something I would choose to use to differentiate pin 1.
    [quoted image]

Thank you once again Victor, it indeed has that bevel on the one side. I see now where I missed it in the data sheet. Appreciate the help as always.

#1385 5 months ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

What pinsound tracks are you running? The ones I’ve heard on YouTube are terrible !

I think there are a few downloaded, the one that is playing currently has Nickelback as the main song. It's ok, nothing great like other games with pinsound.

#1386 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

Thank you once again Victor, it indeed has that bevel on the one side. I see now where I missed it in the data sheet. Appreciate the help as always.

Kawydud
    Don't worry.
    I wondered the same thing when I was working on a Spike Node board a while back.
    Through careful inspection of the chip I noticed the bevel and thought, "no way would they use that to identify pin 1".
    Find the data sheet....sure as heck. Doh!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball - My YT Channel
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#1387 5 months ago

I'll take a bevel over this bullshit that a friend has to deal with from Jameco...

IMG_20231025_152705 (resized).jpgIMG_20231025_152705 (resized).jpgIMG_20231025_152714 (resized).jpgIMG_20231025_152714 (resized).jpg
    #1388 5 months ago

I stopped ordering from jameco years ago. they used to buy up stock from failing companies and since those dried up, much of their stock is rebranded garbage of china origin

#1389 5 months ago

yeah. I basically told my friend that buying from Jameco was an exercise in burning money. IE they way overcharge for most things.
    Then I looked at their prices for caps and "seemed reasonable"... but now that I've seen that garbage store brand knock off... My opinion dropped to never buy.
    It's worse that "Great Value" can goods...

If you look closer at the pictures' background... you'll see expodey bits of capacitor all over the place. Because of that horrible store brand labeling with no arrows... my friend put one in backwards for a surprise.

#1390 5 months ago

Don't buy cheap electrolytic caps, you will pay for it in the end. Buy Panasonic or Nichicon. If possible, get caps with a 105 degree temperature rating instead of 85.

It's pretty easy to tell on that type of cap that the aluminum side is -. But that could happen especially to someone that isn't that familiar with capacitors. It can be just a normal assembly error too with a part marked correctly.

Everyone makes mistakes... At least I do.

#1391 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I wanted to give a big thank you to Victor for all he does producing these boards, answering questions, and helping in anyway he can.

I'm (obviously) not a big poster here but I think it is important I also acknowledge Victor's efforts and echo Kawydud comments. My WPC89 MPU board booted up flawlessly at first try and hasn't had any issues with heavy use in my Getaway by the grandkids!! I think Victor needs to change his name to Mr. Professor!! He answered even my stupid questions without any snarky comments!!

Also want to thank Walamab who provided me with a copy of his MPU BOM with Mouser p/n. Having that info saved me a ton of time!

Karl

#1392 5 months ago
    Quoted from texasbulldog:

I think Victor needs to change his name to Mr. Professor!

definitely a major asset to the pinball community!

I have had chance to do some business and he has helped with several "dumbass" ?'s , he's always a gentleman!

going forward will will always be my go to for boards !

1 week later
    #1393 5 months ago

Does anyone have a shopping cart for System 11B configuration? (SYS-011-CPU + S11-CPU-DAC)
    Also for Aux Driver Board (SYS-011-AUX) would be awesome.

I've been going through DumbAss' BOM and it's taking me quite a lot of time to build at Digikey and Mouser as you guys know!

#1394 5 months ago
    Quoted from justler:

Does anyone have a shopping cart for System 11B configuration? (SYS-011-CPU + S11-CPU-DAC)
    Also for Aux Driver Board (SYS-011-AUX) would be awesome.
    I've been going through DumbAss' BOM and it's taking me quite a lot of time to build at Digikey and Mouser as you guys know!

I have one that I used, quantities are higher, and a couple of the parts aren't on there, but it will help you cross parts over.

#1395 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I have one that I used, quantities are higher, and a couple of the parts aren't on there, but it will help you cross parts over.

That would be awesome. Could you pm me the links? Extras are fine by me as well. Any idea which parts specifically aren’t on there?

#1396 5 months ago
    Quoted from justler:

Surely does take some work and effort (and some blurry vision from staring at multiple lists) but it's a satisfying thing once you have all the parts ordered.

Just finished the parts order for a 3-7 board with some help from @dumbass, thanks again for your help mate

I am in Australia and used Mouser and Tayda Electronics (Tayda was a tip from @dumbass), Tayda is cheaper than Mouser and is located in Thailand but also has a distro in the USA their website says, https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Matt.

#1397 5 months ago

My Thanksgiving project made possible by @dumbass. Still waiting for ROM and security chip delivery and one tiny cap. This going into a MM scratch build. Thank you DumbAss !!

D2C1EE21-FFFD-4134-9EA2-DFB0E893A1B6 (resized).jpegD2C1EE21-FFFD-4134-9EA2-DFB0E893A1B6 (resized).jpeg
    #1398 5 months ago

what does the third magnet support board for TZ do?
    I currently have a third magnet on my TZ but when I activate the flippers, the switch 82 closes. I cannot reproduce this by activating any other solenoids or shaking the machine.
    would that board potentially help and if not any ideas

#1399 5 months ago
    Quoted from GoldenBear:

would that board potentially help and if not any ideas

Maybe make a post on the TZ owners thread for third magnet help.

LTG : )

#1400 5 months ago
    Quoted from GoldenBear:

but when I activate the flippers, the switch 82 closes

You have other issues, that has nothing to do with this thread. I would post in the owner's club, or start a new thread.
    Edit: LTG beat me.

There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/28?hl=interconnect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.