Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,564 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Tophervette
  • Topic is favorited by 441 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.
    #851 1 year ago

Nothing wrong with 2 vendors selling the same boards.

1 week later
    #852 1 year ago

Awesome, had to check this place out from another dumpster fire thread. You seem legit!

#853 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Awesome, had to check this place out from another dumpster fire thread. You seem legit!

Victor is the real deal, his boards look incredible and are rock solid.

8d85e72bd11fbb0e0a7f6ae1cabcbd238217ad3d (resized).jpg8d85e72bd11fbb0e0a7f6ae1cabcbd238217ad3d (resized).jpg
    #854 1 year ago

Be VERY careful using registered logos - Williams (as a company) is still very much alive and trading AND will sue at the drop of a hat for infringement of their property (in this case - logo).

Image removed as no longer relevant.

#855 1 year ago

I don't see a Williams logo...?

#856 1 year ago

The boxed ribbon headers are a great idea. Should've come that way from the factory.

#857 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't see a Williams logo...?

Me neither...

#858 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Nothing wrong with 2 vendors selling the same boards.

You mean 3. Lets not forget this dumpster fire company thats actally licensed by williams.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-opening-of-the-pinball-basement-check-it-out/page/3

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-pinball-basement-the-thread-i-didn-t-want-to-start

This basement dweller should have never left his parents basement

#859 1 year ago

pins4u removed the image as I noted the purple boards have not been for sale but provided to Project Pinball for a charity auction. Thanks.

#860 1 year ago

This will be where I purchase any repro PCBs for TAF, AFM, JM, or BSD in the future. Saw the dumpster fire thread and saw this thread begin to light up. Dumbass is the real deal, and I am happy to support his efforts when the need for a PCB arises for my collection.

1 week later
    #861 1 year ago

I was hoping to provide an update with useful information but, alas, I am providing an update that is whining and moaning.

I am one of these crazies that look at the price per unit of a product (as well as product recommended expiry date). I also look at the total mass (quantity or amount) of the product. Shrinkflation is everywhere. Two local Pacific Northwest companies that sell ice cream are a great example. Tillamook used to sell 1.75 qt (56 fl. oz) but now sell 1.5 qt (48 fl. oz) tubs. Umpqua still sell 1.75 qt tubs. No size reduction.

Today I opened up a package of regional rate B2 boxes that got delivered the other day. I was waiting for them to use to ship big boards. The previous package I ordered July 11 got lost going from Seattle to Seattle. It departed the network distribution center and arrived at the distribution center and that's it. Maybe it'll show up one day. But I digress ...

I wrapped up a board and prepared a box. Then I went to put the board into the box and it felt tighter in width. Didn't really pay attention because I hate packing. Once I got the board all the way into the box it was then I realized that box is actually smaller. It won't close. Fortunately I had one old box lying around and sure enough the new box is the same "regional rate b box 2" but it is smaller. Shrinkflation even hits USPS.

usps_regional_rate_b_box2.jpgusps_regional_rate_b_box2.jpg

I did a little searching and supposedly this is to better streamline their package processing by limiting maximum dimension to 15". It has apparently hit all boxes that exceed the dimension. It also happened some time ago (September 2021). I don't ship much.

usps_shrinkflation.jpgusps_shrinkflation.jpg

So now I have to go figure out a solution to this. It is likely I will need to purchase boxes rather than use the USPS supplied boxes because none of them are long enough to fit the big boards (System 9 CPU, System 11 CPU, Data East CPU, WPC-89 Power, WPC-95 Power). This will increase the cost of shipping. It was bad enough that USPS discontinued the large flat rate game board box a while ago but now this. I try to keep shipping charges reasonable but I don't ship much so I am subject to retail pricing like everyone else.

Now to go find a solution for big boxes. Back to your regularly scheduled wait for the next update. I've got a few things in the works but I want to get my August quota of boards built and sent out. Of course, these are all System 11 CPU boards so that doesn't help. So annoying.

#864 1 year ago

There should be a discount off retail usps rates if you use PayPal to create the label. I've also heard of people using pirateship.com recently but haven't personally done it.

#865 1 year ago
    Quoted from amxfc3s:

There should be a discount off retail usps rates if you use PayPal to create the label. I've also heard of people using pirateship.com recently but haven't personally done it.

I used to do that but Paypal has gone to a third party that is not too great, IMHO. I use pirate ship for most of my shipping.

#866 1 year ago

I finally bit the bullet and purchased boxes large enough for the boards you note from the local Office Depot. They shipped for free and come to about $3/box.

They are 18x12x4. Standard brown corrugated cardboard boxes.

A lot of folks send their boards to me in recycled Amazon boxes.
    Sometimes those boxes aren't really reusable as they are too damaged and the tape won't stick to them well.
    Some Amazon boxes are actually designed to have a 1/2" gap at the long seams. That gap is covered with the Amazon packing tape.

--
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#867 1 year ago

And for shipping, I’ve gone the way of Shippo. They’d have been cheaper for UPS and USPS for me. Not that it answers your issue, but related.

#868 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I finally bit the bullet and purchased boxes large enough for the boards you note from the local Office Depot. They shipped for free and come to about $3/box.
    They are 18x12x4. Standard brown corrugated cardboard boxes.

I got some 18 x 12 x 4 and 18 x 12 x 6 boxes from Staples. The 4" height is for two System 11 CPUs and the 6" height is for two WPC-89 power boards. I am going to try 16 x 12 x 4 and see what happens there. Those dimension are close to the old RRB2 box at 16.25 x 14.5 x 3.

Boards will continue to go out but it's just annoying to me when things change from underneath me as that interrupts my workflow. Humans are creatures of habit and I don't like expending brain power trying to figure out a solution to a problem that I already had a solution for.

#869 1 year ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I was hoping to provide an update with useful information but, alas, I am providing an update that is whining and moaning.
    I am one of these crazies that look at the price per unit of a product (as well as product recommended expiry date). I also look at the total mass (quantity or amount) of the product. Shrinkflation is everywhere. Two local Pacific Northwest companies that sell ice cream are a great example. Tillamook used to sell 1.75 qt (56 fl. oz) but now sell 1.5 qt (48 fl. oz) tubs. Umpqua still sell 1.75 qt tubs. No size reduction.
    Today I opened up a package of regional rate B2 boxes that got delivered the other day. I was waiting for them to use to ship big boards. The previous package I ordered July 11 got lost going from Seattle to Seattle. It departed the network distribution center and arrived at the distribution center and that's it. Maybe it'll show up one day. But I digress ...
    I wrapped up a board and prepared a box. Then I went to put the board into the box and it felt tighter in width. Didn't really pay attention because I hate packing. Once I got the board all the way into the box it was then I realized that box is actually smaller. It won't close. Fortunately I had one old box lying around and sure enough the new box is the same "regional rate b box 2" but it is smaller. Shrinkflation even hits USPS.
    [quoted image]
    I did a little searching and supposedly this is to better streamline their package processing by limiting maximum dimension to 15". It has apparently hit all boxes that exceed the dimension. It also happened some time ago (September 2021). I don't ship much.
    [quoted image]
    So now I have to go figure out a solution to this. It is likely I will need to purchase boxes rather than use the USPS supplied boxes because none of them are long enough to fit the big boards (System 9 CPU, System 11 CPU, Data East CPU, WPC-89 Power, WPC-95 Power). This will increase the cost of shipping. It was bad enough that USPS discontinued the large flat rate game board box a while ago but now this. I try to keep shipping charges reasonable but I don't ship much so I am subject to retail pricing like everyone else.
    Now to go find a solution for big boxes. Back to your regularly scheduled wait for the next update. I've got a few things in the works but I want to get my August quota of boards built and sent out. Of course, these are all System 11 CPU boards so that doesn't help. So annoying.

The USPS priority mail boxes have slowly been getting thinner and thinner and thinner over the years. I found an old one from early 2000s and the corrugated part was easily 2x as thick.

Hey, at least they weigh less!

Boxes are expensive. If I am going to use the priority mail service that has the cost of a box baked into the price, I am not paying for another box to ship with unless I really have to.

Anyone with a PayPal account gets discounts on shipping. Does not even have to be attached to a specific transaction. You can make labels just buy going to the https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I used to do that but Paypal has gone to a third party that is not too great, IMHO. I use pirate ship for most of my shipping.

its always third party, but recently changed from Pitney Bowes to Ship Station. A lot of people complained about it, but I'm not having trouble with it.

#870 1 year ago

pirateship.com for shipping... easily compares rates and has been cheaper than paypal or ebay discounts IMO.

Plus, it's no-BS interface and interactions are great. I bought a 4x6 thermal printer and I'm in love with the combo.

#871 1 year ago

Victor -

While this is certainly frustrating, once you do source a replacement I for one would be more than happy to pay for the extra cost of the box to protect your amazing products.

Hope you can fins one that works well for you.

Chris

#872 1 year ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Humans are creatures of habit and I don't like expending brain power trying to figure out a solution to a problem that I already had a solution for.

Hence our reliance on "daily routines" to make life easier.
    --

#873 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

pirateship.com for shipping... easily compares rates and has been cheaper than paypal or ebay discounts IMO.
    Plus, it's no-BS interface and interactions are great. I bought a 4x6 thermal printer and I'm in love with the combo.

This. I used the Paypal shipping link for years until I learned about Pirateship. Now I use Pirateship for everything.

#874 1 year ago

snakesnsparklers
    flynnibus

Have either of you figured out a format for the address that can be pasted from Excel into Pirateship?
    I can't get the phone number to automatically paste in the right place. I like to include the phone number on the label as a failsafe.
    --

#875 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

snakesnsparklers
    flynnibus
    Have either of you figured out a format for the address that can be pasted from Excel into Pirateship?
    I can't get the phone number to automatically paste in the right place. I like to include the phone number on the label as a failsafe.
    --

I have not. I only do low volume shipping, a package here a package there occasionally so I just manually enter or copy addresses into each box.

#876 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

snakesnsparklers
    flynnibus
    --

Replied via PM to not dirty up this thread

#877 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

And for shipping, I’ve gone the way of Shippo. They’d have been cheaper for UPS and USPS for me. Not that it answers your issue, but related.

Good to see familiar names around here more and more.
    Well done Victor, bringing the community together and of course making awesome boards!

#878 1 year ago

Finally booted my WPC95 board up in a Flintstones. I got feature lamps but nothing else. The DMD is a bit garbled but I can read that is says 'U22 ERROR'. Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

#879 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Might not be something you did. U22 on the CPU is flagged as bad.

LTG : )

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Finally booted my WPC95 board up in a Flintstones. I got feature lamps but nothing else. The DMD is a bit garbled but I can read that is says 'U22 ERROR'. Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

u22 is your security gal and unless you have one of the replacement ones that works with all roms, it's specific to your roms. What game was the board originally in?

#881 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Well, Flintstones is a WPC-S game, not WPC-95.

#882 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Might not be something you did. U22 on the CPU is flagged as bad.
    LTG : )

Basically swapped out the driver board. The game was working before, just resetting. I am understanding the replacement board should work in all WPC games.

#883 1 year ago

Knowing Victor will PM you directly, as he has me in the past. I would suggest, that first take voltage measures on all the Test Points on the new Driver board. So that you have that for reference. Then look at your CPU board for the 3 LEDs on the upper left side and record what they do immediately upon boot up and then when its been on a few minutes. Turn off and then reseat all the connectors, making sure they are plugged in correctly. Even though it hard to mess that up with his board.

I found out that when I had unplugged my ribbon cables, that I plugged them in well to the driver board, but they were loosely connected to my CPU.

Just a suggestion.

#884 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Basically swapped out the driver board. The game was working before, just resetting. I am understanding the replacement board should work in all WPC games.

Is the ribbon cable in between connected correctly?

#885 1 year ago

Thanks for the help guys, I double checked the ribbon cable, all is good there. I verified all of the other connectors and they are in their proper place. Victor is awesome, I think I'll wait to hear back form him before I reboot the game up. Im afraid of causing some damage if I haven't already lol.

#886 1 year ago

Thanks to Victor all is well with the board!! He walked me though my error, which was simple enough; I had a 0 ohm resistor in R1 when it should have been in R2. He patiently walked me through booting up the board making sure I didn't do any damage, systematically unplugging and replugging in connectors. And after a bunch of back and forth, got the game booted!!

I love the board and even loved putting it together more! We are super fortunate to have this product, thanks again Victor! Looking forward to my next board!

#887 1 year ago

Very brief update. More to come once I get the boards I have been working on complete and in the mail system.

Today I did a bunch of things in a batch. Verify some boards (in a machine) and grab a board from a machine. One of the boards is a new one that adds another to the opto testing arsenal.

The Pinwiki subsection @ https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#7_Opto_Board_Testing describes how to test the LM339. It's a fairly simple procedure and it works great. I already have a board that identifies problems with the opto transmitter/receiver pair but I don't have one that identifies problems with the LM339. Well ... not any more. This board plugs into opto testing system that I have and therefore requires the other boards and 8P8C cables.

This is the new board. It's pretty simple. A bunch of switches that basically takes the place of the receiver.

boards_244.jpgboards_244.jpg

This is how it was tested and is supposed to be used in a machine.

boards_245.jpgboards_245.jpg

The instructions are in the silkscreen but essentially in switch test pressing the button should cause a response from the software indicating switch closing and opening.

#888 1 year ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Very brief update. More to come once I get the boards I have been working on complete and in the mail system.
    Today I did a bunch of things in a batch. Verify some boards (in a machine) and grab a board from a machine. One of the boards is a new one that adds another to the opto testing arsenal.
    The Pinwiki subsection @ https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#7_Opto_Board_Testing describes how to test the LM339. It's a fairly simple procedure and it works great. I already have a board that identifies problems with the opto transmitter/receiver pair but I don't have one that identifies problems with the LM339. Well ... not any more. This board plugs into opto testing system that I have and therefore requires the other boards and 8P8C cables.
    This is the new board. It's pretty simple. A bunch of switches that basically takes the place of the receiver.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    The instructions are in the silkscreen but essentially in switch test pressing the button should cause a response from the software indicating switch closing and opening.

So excited for this kit. I waited patiently.

#889 1 year ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

So excited for this kit. I waited patiently.

I haven't forgotten you. I want to clear my August board build quota so I am free to finish all the other small things for the remainder of the month. I am close. The last board needs completion and then I need to populate the ICs, verify them, pack them and send them.

There is a (currently undisclosed) reason for this. Thank you for your patience. I was going to offer this in your request but I wanted to have it complete and ready.

#890 1 year ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I haven't forgotten you. I want to clear my August board build quota so I am free to finish all the other small things for the remainder of the month. I am close. The last board needs completion and then I need to populate the ICs, verify them, pack them and send them.
    There is a (currently undisclosed) reason for this. Thank you for your patience. I was going to offer this in your request but I wanted to have it complete and ready.

You do your thing. I never rush anyone on Pinside. Just always like to stay and be positive of the hard work I see. Thanks for keeping me and the group up to date on the progress.

Ken

#891 1 year ago

Just another plug for a great product by a great guy.

F8FA5D2B-AA73-4EF8-8959-A8B34F8116F6 (resized).jpegF8FA5D2B-AA73-4EF8-8959-A8B34F8116F6 (resized).jpeg
    #892 1 year ago

Victor has done it again providing Project Pinball with his custom purple boards for our charity auction at Pinball Expo. A wonderful supporter of the charity, a great guy, and an asset to the pinball community. Thanks again!

PXL_20220807_204902962 (resized).jpgPXL_20220807_204902962 (resized).jpgPXL_20220807_205121578 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20220807_205121578 (1) (resized).jpg
    #893 1 year ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Victor has done it again providing Project Pinball with his custom purple boards for our charity auction at Pinball Expo. A wonderful supporter of the charity, a great guy, and an asset to the pinball community. Thanks again!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Love the purple coloured boards. I wished Mine were purple. Lol
    I really do!

#894 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Love the purple coloured boards. I wished Mine were purple. Lol
    I really do!

Yes, I agree! Victor if you switch to purple, I promise to buy more boards (than I even need).

#895 1 year ago

Are complete wpc boards available?

#896 1 year ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

There's a typo, lol. "Detction."

#897 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

There's a typo, lol. "Detction."

I know I try hard to verify everything but I also know that I make mistakes. In hindsight I don't think I would've spotted this - ever. I still look at it and it reads fine. That just goes to show that the human brain see what it wants to to see.

This one is tough call because I like a polished product and providing these boards is contra to a polished product. I have to think about spinning this board. It's electrically correct and some people tolerate small errors like this better than others.

I finished building the promised quota of boards for August last night. I just need to verify them now. I also completed building one of the following boards and will verify them as part of the batch (after I get cabling constructed this afternoon).

• Trough opto boards for WPC-S and later. These boards have been done by others. I just wanted to do my own as well as provide a set for Wharhed who asked for one. I already built a set of these and tested them in a Safe Cracker.
      boards_246.jpgboards_246.jpg
    • 7 lamp speaker panel and single alphanumeric display.
      • The 7 lamp speaker panel is another special request for a Pinside member restoring a Whirlwind where this board is missing. I know this board has also been remade by another person using SMD LEDs for the LCD ColorDMD in The Addams Family. This board is true to original in that it uses twist wedge sockets so LEDs of your desired color or white temperature can be used. This board is used in Earthshaker, Whirlwind and The Addams Family (all Lawlor games).
      • The single alphanumeric is something I wasn't necessarily planning to do but is a response to a request from a Pinside member. I already have all the logic. It just needed work on the schematic and then layout. I don't have a Bally side-by-side machine so I had to go borrow a set of displays for the template and measurements. The OEM boards are two separate but very similar boards. This board is a "universal" board in that it has the circuitry to support left or right displays configured with jumpers or DIP switch. It also adds an additional 26-pin ribbon cable header to support separate 26-pin ribbon cables. The original cable is a three position cable. These are not easily found on pinball merchants. Two position cables are plentiful so this allows use of the two position cables. I need to build the cabling to test these boards.
      • boards_247.jpgboards_247.jpg

• The complete board. I typically build first boards with all sockets (or as many sockets as possible). This allows easy recovery of some components if the board doesn't work. This option for LED block socketing is also available for complete boards (by request only). The LED power indicator is optional and installed on these boards to test all the features.
      boards_248.jpgboards_248.jpg

Now I have to go cut wire, strip wire, crimp pins and insert pins into housings.

#898 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Love the purple coloured boards. I wished Mine were purple.

Quoted from sandro:

... if you switch to purple, I promise to buy more boards (than I even need).

Purple boards are more expensive to fabricate than the more common colors. I do agree that the purple boards certainly stand out although I think the red boards also stand out (but in a different way).

Let me think about this more. I originally wanted the purple to be something you can't necessarily buy. Rather they are something that is special or more unique than the more common colors. I haven't actually considered making any board in any of the other common colors (green, blue, yellow, white or black) unless the board uses color for differentiation (such as opto transmitter / receiver boards).

Quoted from marspinball:

Are complete wpc boards available?

Complete boards are available but subject to build quotas to keep me sane. This also allows me to keep time in my back pocket for things that pop up unexpectedly or to help reduce a growing "to do" list.

#899 1 year ago

It's no big deal, at all. I wouldn't notice if I bought it to be honest, and wouldn't care the least bit.

#900 1 year ago

dumbass website address ?

reading that back it sounds odd

There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.