Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 796 posts
  • 150 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by JT-Pinball
  • Topic is favorited by 276 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

998C12D4-DD4A-4BAA-B15F-2B8D05796E6D (resized).jpeg
    1856D131-FD54-498B-9205-64696DC5A06F (resized).jpeg
    Untitled (resized).png
    IMG_20220504_095214 (resized).jpg
    dcs.jpg
    IMG_20220504_091417 (resized).jpg
    DSCF2851 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2855 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2849 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2847 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2843 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2845 (resized).JPG
    boards_242.jpg
    boards_241.jpg
    boards_240.jpg
    boards_239.jpg

There are 796 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.
    #601 5 months ago
    Quoted from Vin-bot:

So thankful as well and very happy that my boards will be flying business class down under

Yeah! I hope you get your game going!!!

#602 5 months ago
    Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Yeah! I hope you get your game going!!!

Thanks JT-Pinball

#603 5 months ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The windows on the EPROM chips should really be covered. If they are exposed to light for too long it can start erasing bits. Even if one bit flips and reverts to a 1 it can cause issues. Would help to verify the contents of the ROM chips and if corrupt then erase and reprogram.

good to know. I found the stickers & will reattach them. as for the EPROMs, I don't own a programer. searching the site I see lots of olds posts about the GQ-4X4. is this still the go to unit or are the cheaper ones fine? I'll almost never use it. this may be the 1 time.

#604 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mutt:

good to know. I found the stickers & will reattach them. as for the EPROMs, I don't own a programer. searching the site I see lots of olds posts about the GQ-4X4. is this still the go to unit or are the cheaper ones fine? I'll almost never use it. this may be the 1 time.

There is that one and there is a TL866II that a lot of people use too. I have both and either one will let you verify the current ROM images. The TL866 also has a nice logic IC tester built-in that is pretty handy. Unfortunately for burning older EPROM chips neither one is a great choice. The GQ-4x4 with an external power supply and slow programming has a better chance of the two on older chips. I actually have an old programmer that I use for the early EPROM chips.

These programmers can program come of the later EPROM chips ok. Still for how cheap these devices are they are worth having just for the diagnostic chip testing and verifying images.

#605 5 months ago

Only a few days left. When I was employed at the last company I worked at this time of the year was always vacation time. At some stage in my past I also had a job with somewhat reasonable responsibility. There was always something that needed to be completed or popped up prior to departure. I was always in the office on the day of departure. This year I came close to that kind of repeat in terms of trying to complete things before departure. I have finished all the committed boards. The following boards are all to be transported. Three groups of boards for three people. If you see this you will know who you are. Good thing too because USPS stopped package services to that region of the world.

boards_188.jpg
    boards_189.jpg
    boards_190.jpg
    boards_191.jpg

The last set of boards also shows two of the prototype boards used in development. I got the anode/cathode wrong so I used a second prototype board to reverse the wiring and verify it. I usually wire things using trace cutting or wiring directly to components but this seemed like an easier way to test the potential solution. The Corvette boards work on my bench but I haven't tested in an actual machine. Tough to find a Corvette. The nearest one I know is about 100 miles away. I did test fit the track limit board.

Quoted from Vin-bot:

So thankful as well and very happy that my boards will be flying business class down under

The upgrade request on the short flight (domestic) cleared. The upgrade request on the big flight (international) is still waitlisted. I expect it to clear at the gate. The airline just switched equipment on me but fortunately there is no reduction in the premium cabin capacity (still 48 total seats). The biggest hurdle for me is the PCR test prior to departure and the new rules put in place on arrival (isolation and more testing requirements). The cost of travel in these very interesting times!

A few more small board related things I want answers to before I depart that I hope to get some answers on tonight. That should be my final post before departure.

#606 5 months ago

Those are beautiful! Great job DumbAss !!

Cheers,
    MacJedi

#607 5 months ago

Not quite there yet. Got some more answers tonight and there will be one more post after this one with some images of those boards.

I want to try to get resolution and tie up all the loose ends before the break because it's likely I will forget if I don't do it now. I have one more experiment that does not work as planned and I need to do some more reading and learning before I can get it to work. It involves analog to digital conversion and from what I have read analog circuits are much harder to design than digital circuits. That is definitely the case from my experience. Someone like me that has extensive digital experience (software but some hardware) ... analog is a whole new world.

I finally got around to uploading the speaker pop eliminator comparison videos.

Speaker Pop (normal behavior):

Speaker Pop Eliminator (modified behavior):

It can be heard but it's much more pronounced in person. The pop on power off on this Terminator 2 is LOUD.

This system:

• Works for any of WPC-89, WPC-DCS and WPC-95.
    • Consists of three boards per machine.
      • AC power tap.
      • Speaker output intercept.
      • Relay performing the actual intercept.
    • Requires constructing wire cables between the component boards (0.156 pins and housings) - no soldering.
    • Does not modify the original machine wiring in any way - i.e. non-invasive and is completely reversible.
    #608 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Not quite there yet. Got some more answers tonight and there will be one more post after this one with some images of those boards.
    I want to try to get resolution and tie up all the loose ends before the break because it's likely I will forget if I don't do it now. I have one more experiment that does not work as planned and I need to do some more reading and learning before I can get it to work. It involves analog to digital conversion and from what I have read analog circuits are much harder to design than digital circuits. That is definitely the case from my experience. Someone like me that has extensive digital experience (software but some hardware) ... analog is a whole new world.

It can be heard but it's much more pronounced in person. The pop on power off on this Terminator 2 is LOUD.
    This system:

Works for any of WPC-89, WPC-DCS and WPC-95.
    Consists of three boards per machine.

AC power tap.
    Speaker output intercept.
    Relay performing the actual intercept.

Requires constructing wire cables between the component boards (0.156 pins and housings) - no soldering.
    Does not modify the original machine wiring in any way - i.e. non-invasive and is completely reversible.

Great work as usual! I am also jealous you have a T2, I sold mine in March and I regret the decision. IF you ever want to sell it to me.... lol let me know!

#609 5 months ago

First up ... the most important thing. I learned over the course of a career that if you write long communications then ALWAYS put the most important things at the very top of the communication - including things like summaries. People generally have poor attention spans and only read one or two paragraphs before being overcome by "TL;DR".

NOTE: I will still be connected while away but response time may be slower than normal. There is a time difference (relative to the US) as well. It's supposed to be time away to "recharge" but I also want to make sure that anybody who has issues with my boards is not left hanging without support. In general the boards are 95%+ true the original Williams schematic and component references so those original schematics should work. If you do have a question feel free to ask (or post as I will be reading the forum occasionally). However if you're waiting for a response from me directly then I ask you to please be patient. Thank you.

So here's what I got resolution on last night.

The tieback modification implemented as pass through (tap) boards and a wire cable between the boards.

• Terminator 2
    • boards_192.jpg
      boards_193.jpg
      boards_194.jpg

• Star Trek TNG (shown in an Indiana Jones but the principle is what applies)
    • boards_195.jpg
      boards_196.jpg
      boards_197.jpg

The physical fit works but it may require some orientation changes for better efficiency. The silkscreen on the power tap (black) board is incorrect but the electrical function is correct.

These are the boards that implement this - including the System 11 diode connector board for the LED flasher modification to the Auxiliary Power board. The wire cables I built are also shown. Typically a wire from the power source to the tieback connector. For some it may be multiple wires but the wires can be daisy chained (in parallel) at the drive connector.

boards_198.jpg

And finally I had these boards made about a month or so ago but there was an issue. I rushed it. That's usually when I make mistakes.

• The transmitter board is simple and works.
    • The receiver board has an error. The order of the row inputs is correct but does not correspond to the correct phototransistor. Therefore it does not produce the correct position in the ball trough so the game gets VERY confused. I built a translator cable to re-order the rows and everything works so I need to fix the ordering in the schematic and re-layout the receiver board. Thankfully I didn't have to cut any board traces and such. The translator cable allowed an easy way to test for any potential fix.

boards_199.jpg

Wishing everybody a happy holiday season!

#610 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

If you see this you will know who you are.

Thanks again, looking forward to have these in my machine.

#611 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

This system:

Works for any of WPC-89, WPC-DCS and WPC-95.
    Consists of three boards per machine.

AC power tap.
    Speaker output intercept.
    Relay performing the actual intercept.

Requires constructing wire cables between the component boards (0.156 pins and housings) - no soldering.
    Does not modify the original machine wiring in any way - i.e. non-invasive and is completely reversible.

This is great. Mine aren't so bad that I need one, I think, but I would be very curious about a speaker hum eliminator. Probably just need to put that last missing screw in to ground my PCB.

#612 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

First up ... the most important thing. I learned over the course of a career that if you write long communications then ALWAYS put the most important things at the very top of the communication - including things like summaries. People generally have poor attention spans and only read one or two paragraphs before being overcome by "TL;DR".
    NOTE: I will still be connected while away but response time may be slower than normal. There is a time difference (relative to the US) as well. It's supposed to be time away to "recharge" but I also want to make sure that anybody who has issues with my boards is not left hanging without support. In general the boards are 95%+ true the original Williams schematic and component references so those original schematics should work. If you do have a question feel free to ask (or post as I will be reading the forum occasionally). However if you're waiting for a response from me directly then I ask you to please be patient. Thank you.
    So here's what I got resolution on last night.
    The tieback modification implemented as pass through (tap) boards and a wire cable between the boards.

Terminator 2
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Star Trek TNG (shown in an Indiana Jones but the principle is what applies)
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

The physical fit works but it may require some orientation changes for better efficiency. The silkscreen on the power tap (black) board is incorrect but the electrical function is correct.
    These are the boards that implement this - including the System 11 diode connector board for the LED flasher modification to the Auxiliary Power board. The wire cables I built are also shown. Typically a wire from the power source to the tieback connector. For some it may be multiple wires but the wires can be daisy chained (in parallel) at the drive connector.
    [quoted image]
    And finally I had these boards made about a month or so ago but there was an issue. I rushed it. That's usually when I make mistakes.

The transmitter board is simple and works.
    The receiver board has an error. The order of the row inputs is correct but does not correspond to the correct phototransistor. Therefore it does not produce the correct position in the ball trough so the game gets VERY confused. I built a translator cable to re-order the rows and everything works so I need to fix the ordering in the schematic and re-layout the receiver board. Thankfully I didn't have to cut any board traces and such. The translator cable allowed an easy way to test for any potential fix.

[quoted image]
    Wishing everybody a happy holiday season!

A lovely sight..

#613 5 months ago

Installed a System 11CPU from Victor in my latest Whirlwind project and it worked flawlessly.
    Lots of well thought out upgrades. Thanks “DumbAss “? you restored my faith in reproduction boards.

7351C684-34F6-49C1-888F-1BF03EA3626B (resized).jpeg
    #614 5 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Installed a System 11CPU from Victor in my latest Whirlwind project and it worked flawlessly.
    Lots of well thought out upgrades. Thanks “DumbAss “? you restored my faith in reproduction boards.
    [quoted image]

Looking forward to my boards too.. can’t wait to finish my project and start playing

#615 5 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

[quoted image]

Victor does incredible work and outstanding customer service!

#616 5 months ago

Victor is the real deal. Buy with confidence.

#617 5 months ago

#618 5 months ago

This was the funniest commercial I ever saw on television.. in the US

#619 5 months ago

I got my boards and can’t wait to put them together. Will do that right after finish with some other pending work.

Dealing with Victor was and is an absolute pleasure, his support and attention to detail is bar none the best.

Thanks Victor!!

#620 5 months ago

So I arrived at my destination (I will be posting some pictures to the random picture thread). Some requirement changes imposed by the recent emergence of the Omicron variant. So far I am batting 3/3 negative.

1. PCR test on day prior to departure = negative. Federal government entry requirement instigated early November.
    2. PCR test on day of arrival = negative. State government entry requirement instigated late November.
    3. PCR test on day 6 post arrival = negative. State government entry requirement instigated late November.

State government requirement of 72 hours self isolation. Limits what you can do. So the boards I had transported sat around. Now out of isolation and starting to figure out how to use the local postal system to get packages sent.

Unfortunately I discovered an issue on visual inspection of the boards. Three of the transistors (MOSFETs) were "crushed" and ended up having some bent legs. One transistor was bent to the point where one of the legs broke off completely from the body. I only noticed this when I tried to straighten the body. Needless to say this cannot be repaired. It must be replaced. So I wiggled the component body off.

boards_200.jpg

Now I would normally have my vacuum desoldering tool to clean out the holes after removing the broken legs but I only brought my soldering station. Yes ... I brought my soldering station but I did this to fix another issue (unrelated to pinball) for my brother. Works out well that I have this with me. I then did some "hillbilly engineering" or "MacGyvering" if you will to get the holes clean.

1. Heat up the pads.
    2. Add some fresh solder to help the solder flow.
    3. Keep the heat applied and when ready remove the heat source and "shake" the board to remove the solder.
    4. Marvel at the perfectly clean hole without using a vacuum desoldering tool.

I have advised others do this but I don't think people have used it as a solution. I was fairly confident I could get the holes clean with the above method. The proof is in the image.

boards_201.jpg

Now all I need to do is find a source for a replacement. Fortunately there is a local supplier / merchant so I should be able to get this board repaired and sent out with high confidence that it will work.

#621 5 months ago

Impressing skills by DumbAss … it’s great to see the thoroughness you put into your products. It’s like candy to the eyes of a perfectionist like I am.

#622 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Now all I need to do is find a source for a replacement. Fortunately there is a local supplier / merchant so I should be able to get this board repaired and sent out with high confidence that it will work.

Pm me an address and the MOSFET you need will be on the way!

image (resized).jpg
    #623 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I have advised others do this but I don't think people have used it as a solution. I was fairly confident I could get the holes clean with the above method. The proof is in the image.

This works well when removing 9-pin .156 headers all at one time with the "spade" tip on my iron.
    Heat all 9 pins.
    Remove header.
    "Bounce" the board on the table while the solder is still molten.
    Boom!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#624 5 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Heat up the pads.
    Add some fresh solder to help the solder flow.
    Keep the heat applied and when ready remove the heat source and "shake" the board to remove the solder.
    Marvel at the perfectly clean hole without using a vacuum desoldering tool.

I have advised others do this but I don't think people have used it as a solution.

I am a big fan of the "slap method" to clear holes in the field. Heat it up and slap the edge on a table, fence post whatever. It doesn't have to be very hard and a perfect clean hole.

#625 5 months ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

This works well when removing 9-pin .156 headers all at one time with the "spade" tip on my iron.
    Heat all 9 pins.
    Remove header.
    "Bounce" the board on the table while the solder is still molten.
    Boom!
    --
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs

I have done the same, good technique when doing something limited.

#626 5 months ago
    Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Pm me an address and the MOSFET you need will be on the way!

Thanks. Very much appreciate the offer.

Found a local source (eBay with local pickup). Yes ... eBay prices per unit but beggars can't be choosers when thousands of miles from my own supply. Local pickup was a good opportunity to take a mini road trip / drive with the family. Went to an area of the city that I have not been to in probably a decade or more. Board is all fixed and now on its way through the postal system.

2 weeks later
    #627 4 months ago

BIG shout out to DumbAss !!

I highly recommend his boards.
    His costumer service is above and beyond and he delivers quality products.
    I got nothing but good words for this man.

I got referred to him after discovering my CPU board really needed to be replaced. He patiently helped me out with any questions I had and managed to squeeze me into his busy schedule in order to be able to bring my order with him on his way down under, saving me heaps on shipping from US to AUS.

I ended up getting not just a new CPU, but also got new score displays and a display board.

I am really happy with my new boards and displays, that will for sure last me for many many years. It’s reassuring to know that if there is any unexpected future issue, dumbass will be there to solve it for me.

2F9B597D-989F-4565-A207-FC596972F80D (resized).jpeg9EB97D93-B8A4-444F-9018-3CEEC2329090 (resized).jpegC00E568B-0932-4D11-B49F-90F2A4C72013 (resized).jpeg

#628 4 months ago

Dumbass is great and is the real deal. There seems to be a few posers out there. He’s the real deal. His boards are works of art and actual work. And he communicates. And they ship and work. Huge asset to the hobby.

#629 4 months ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

[...] There seems to be a few posers out there. [...]

I mean if you're making pinball parts in the basement, I can see why.

3 weeks later
    #630 3 months ago

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Also thanks to everyone for putting up with the pause and allowing me to take some time off from building.

In 2019 I made a commitment to visit family more often. There's only so much time left and pretty much nobody on their death bed ever wished they had spent more time building boards for pinball enthusiasts. Then along came 2020 and 2021. No travel for me. Of course ... it's still on-going. Not going to touch this hot button topic. At the end of last year it seemed things were calm enough and I booked travel. Needless to say the latest "variant" blew up. I still got to spend quality time with family. That's what matters to me. I apologize to all the pinball enthusiasts who had to wait a few months but I stand by my statements about the death bed.

So I definitely want to thank my family for the respite. I helped out around the house and they gave me respite. It gave me the time finish off design/layout for the two remaining boards I have been wanting to finish for some time. I had left over time and completed two other boards that would be considered more original designs rather than reproductions. I had the boards fabricated before I left so that they would be delivered shortly after my return. They were delivered last Sunday. I had started working on my huge backlog of boards to build but these interrupted the building because I had to have an answer on whether they work or not. I actually don't have that answer as I write but this evening I will bench them. If that's successful then I need to put them in a machine and stress them with actual power and inductive loads.

Firstly ... WPC-95 Power Driver Board. Essentially a reproduction with the following enhancements:

• Box header outline for the ribbon cable header.
    • Replaced the LM317 linear regulator with LM2678 switching regulator.
    • Add 1N5404 blocking diode to the flasher circuit to prevent damage when the flasher power connector is incorrectly connected.
    • Insurance for radial snap-in through holes (copper pours and vias to persist continuity in case of through hole destruction on capacitor removal).

I wanted to add the Attack from Mars "blackout modification" but I didn't have a functioning prototype to incorporate into the board. That's something that I do want to do in the future.

boards_202.jpg

Secondly ... WPC-95 CPU board. Essentially a reproduction with the following changes/enhancements:

• Box header outline for the ribbon cable headers.
    • Remove battery holder and added external battery connector.
    • Moved LEDs from bottom left of board to top left of board. The LEDs are not easily visible when the speaker panel is in place. They have been moved so they are visible with the speaker panel in place. Silkscreen text indicating what the LEDs do and are for.
    • Silkscreen text for language selection.
    • LED indicator for +12VR (Switch Power).
    • J212 (cabinet switches) can be either a 13-pin or 14-pin header. 14-pin headers are easier to source.

boards_203.jpg

Thirdly ... System 3-7 Unified CPU/Driver board. A redesign. This board will need some serious testing before release. Space restrictions severely influenced the design and layout. Some salient points:

• MOSFETs instead of BJTs.
    • Battery support removed. Requires NVRAM.
    • Reset section replaced with reset generator (voltage supervisor).
    • Support for System 3-6 LEDs and System 7 diagnostic digit.
    • Built-in special solenoid LED diagnostics.
    • Additional status LEDs and test points centralized together (for the most part).
    • Support for a single ROM only. Size can be selected with a jumper. System 3-6 can use 2764 or 27128. System 7 requires 27128.
    • Support for a daughter board that allows multiple games on a single ROM that can be selected with push buttons.
    • Support for System 3 DIP switch input entry through a daughter board.

boards_204.jpg

Finally ... a universal Williams numeric digit display for bench testers. This board is similar to the universal alphanumeric display but only supports numeric displays. 6-digit support for System 3-6 and 7-digit support for System 7-9. I built this for me so I could verify the System 3-7 board.

boards_205.jpg

And here are the built WPC-95 boards ready for testing.

boards_206.jpg
    boards_207.jpg

The boards should be tested tonight. Then I need to finish one board that is half built. After that I have some boards that need repair that have higher priority at the moment. Then it's back to building boards and dealing with the outstanding backlog.

Once again ... thank you to everyone who has a board in my build queue for allowing me to take some time off and for the patience waiting for building and delivery.

#631 3 months ago

Wow you have been busy! I may be reaching out for a WPC CPU and PDB for another one like the Taxi you helped me nail out of the park.

Happy you have been able to spend time with family finally. Time is short.

#632 3 months ago

Welcome back. Glad you had quality time with family! Once they are gone like mine, you only left with memories and photos. Your time away from us has given you a good reset. Your new boards look great and I am sure you will sort them out. Best wishes on a continued backlog.

#633 3 months ago

awesome work Victor, I am slow at building but the first driver wpc89 is almost done. looking great!

#634 3 months ago

Welcome back! Glad you made it without incident.
    Boards are looking awesome!
    --
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact

#635 3 months ago

Family first! And I am looking forward to the system 7 cpu and driver board!

#636 3 months ago

OH HELL YEAH!

First and foremost, kudos to you for realizing what is REALLY important and taking time for your family. That is #1. ALWAYS.

Second, put me down for a System 7 board! This is really exciting news!!!!!!! Cant wait for those to be available!

Glad you are well and keep up the great work!

Chris

#637 3 months ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Second, put me down for a System 7 board

Me too.
    I'd prefer an unpopulated one or even better a kit if if possible?

If not a fully built one would be fine.

Nice work.

Regards,
    Matt.

#638 3 months ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Glad you made it without incident.

I think it definitely helps to take all possible precautions. Self imposed isolation before government required testing to reduce odds of testing positive. A positive test immediately kills travel. I would never impose 13-14 hours of almost constant masking (due to the nature of long haul in these times) on someone. I volunteered to do it (by purchasing a ticket). The only respite you get is the meal where you scarf everything down and go back to masking. Surprisingly ... you can sleep in one. I managed to do it on both legs for about 7 hours each way! It also helps to have oodles of miles to be able to upgrade to the premium cabin. In these times there's so many open seats (50% occupied on both flights) that upgrades are pretty much guaranteed.

The thing I always remind myself is that ... you have to take care of you. Nobody else will. Was it worth it? Of course it was.

I put the boards on my bench tonight and everything works. All bench tests pass. Including the AC input, GI and GI dimming. The image below shows the bench rig running off the AC transformer for logic power, switch power and lamp power.

boards_208.jpg

The next tasks are repairing some boards that have been waiting and some that just came in before going back to building pending work items.

The System 3-7 board will likely not be ready until I get my build queue down to a level that can be managed. It's far too long at the moment. The reason is that I don't have a bench rig for these systems and I don't have a lot of experience with the diagnostics in the software so I will need to figure stuff out. That takes time.

#639 3 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Insurance for radial snap-in through holes (copper pours and vias to persist continuity in case of through hole destruction on capacitor removal).

Welcome back. This is a great idea as I end up repairing quite a few of these boards when the customer has attempted to replace the caps themselves and pulled out the thru-hole plating.

#640 3 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I think it definitely helps to take all possible precautions. Self imposed isolation before government required testing to reduce odds of testing positive. A positive test immediately kills travel. I would never impose 13-14 hours of almost constant masking (due to the nature of long haul in these times) on someone. I volunteered to do it (by purchasing a ticket). The only respite you get is the meal where you scarf everything down and go back to masking. Surprisingly ... you can sleep in one. I managed to do it on both legs for about 7 hours each way! It also helps to have oodles of miles to be able to upgrade to the premium cabin. In these times there's so many open seats (50% occupied on both flights) that upgrades are pretty much guaranteed.
    The thing I always remind myself is that ... you have to take care of you. Nobody else will. Was it worth it? Of course it was.
    I put the boards on my bench tonight and everything works. All bench tests pass. Including the AC input, GI and GI dimming. The image below shows the bench rig running off the AC transformer for logic power, switch power and lamp power.
    [quoted image]
    The next tasks are repairing some boards that have been waiting and some that just came in before going back to building pending work items.
    The System 3-7 board will likely not be ready until I get my build queue down to a level that can be managed. It's far too long at the moment. The reason is that I don't have a bench rig for these systems and I don't have a lot of experience with the diagnostics in the software so I will need to figure stuff out. That takes time.

Please add me to your list for the system 3-7 board. I have the games to test this and the folks to come over and put them through their paces. I will take unpopulated if you want someone to build one from scratch.
    Thanks for making such great items!
    Mike

#641 3 months ago

Awesome to see you back at it Victor....great work you are undertaking....!

#642 3 months ago

Glad you were able to get a break and see family. Welcome back!

#643 3 months ago

That white display looks so damn good! If I had a black and white BSD conversion, that would be the display to use.

1 week later
    #644 3 months ago

Playing catch up. I will be playing this game for some more weeks to come. Local service/repair interruptions have happened and will likely continue. This will affect the catch up game. In order to facilitate my sanity I grouped outstanding builds into batches. Building in batches is slightly faster than task switching due to the overhead of switching.

As a reminder all boards are verified on my bench and some are verified in a machine (machine verification is required for high voltage as I do not have high voltage on my bench - it's too dangerous for my liking). I also have purpose built boards for board verification (other than the bench testing boards) that I can provide some information on if there's interest. These boards work but aren't perfect. Their purpose is to verify the production boards so they don't need to be perfect.

This (first) batch is complete. These are all packed and will go out today! Then on to the next batch.

boards_209.jpgboards_210.jpg

#645 3 months ago

you sir, are a machine! hats off

#646 3 months ago

These are beautiful! Well done!

Chris

#647 3 months ago

Lol here I am making my first driver board taking my sweet time and he pumps all of these in a little while.
    Victor isnt human!!!!!

#648 3 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Playing catch up. I will be playing this game for some more weeks to come. Local service/repair interruptions have happened and will likely continue. This will affect the catch up game. In order to facilitate my sanity I grouped outstanding builds into batches. Building in batches is slightly faster than task switching due to the overhead of switching.
    As a reminder all boards are verified on my bench and some are verified in a machine (machine verification is required for high voltage as I do not have high voltage on my bench - it's too dangerous for my liking). I also have purpose built boards for board verification (other than the bench testing boards) that I can provide some information on if there's interest. These boards work but aren't perfect. Their purpose is to verify the production boards so they don't need to be perfect.
    This (first) batch is complete. These are all packed and will go out today! Then on to the next batch.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You are not hand soldering all that boards, right?
    Do you have your own wave soldering machine?

#649 3 months ago
    Quoted from harig:

You are not hand soldering all that boards, right?

All my boards are built by hand. It's a lot of labor. I do it all from procurement to lead bending to soldering to cleaning to verification to packing and shipping. This is why I quote about one week for building a big board. I can reduce that time by building multiples at the same time. The overhead is going to my components and counting them out. It's probably about 50/50 for preparation and soldering. Pricing for my boards is more expensive than others but they are "artisan". I hope that those who receive the boards appreciate the love (or is that sweat equity or elbow grease) that has been put into them. Cheaper alternatives or DIY (build your own) are available for the budget conscious.

Quoted from harig:

Do you have your own wave soldering machine?

I have a local friend who has suggested this. The problem is these machines have a few things that are prohibitive for me.

• They are expensive to purchase.
    • I believe they also require 220V (two phase) to operate.
    • They require lots of space to operate.
    • They require lots of solder to operate.
    • If not operated correctly it can produce boards that aren't up to my quality bar. This would potentially require manual re-work = no time saved.
    • It only cuts down on the soldering time not the preparation time.

I am sure there are other things but those are the things that come to mind. I live in an urban environment in a medium sized house so there is no room to set up, store and operate the machine. I am still thinking about and looking for potential solutions. Ultimately I will probably just slow down because it is a lot of work. It seems all I am doing at the moment is building boards. It is worth it though if a machine continues to be played. That's the reward for me.

#650 3 months ago

Wow, thats a lot of work
    I am just rebuilding the lower part of a wpc89 cpu after an alkaline repair and have build some Sys11 led displays before and was wondering about the labor-but that is still small compared to your e.g. PDB boards

Thx for your detailed answer and your work here in general

There are 796 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!