Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,564 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Tophervette
  • Topic is favorited by 441 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.
    #501 2 years ago

DumbAss Hey buddy. Nice work on those boards up there. Guess what? My ToM was crashing and acting all screwed up, aka essentially bricked. Pulled Kahr board out and it's fixed like magic. How about that?

How are you doing? Got a guy here with an F-14 TC, he might need a display of you're up for it. This'll be somewhere down the road.

Thanks again,

z

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I do have a small surprise coming in the next few weeks. That's all that I will say about this at the moment.

Hmmmmm!!

#503 2 years ago

Well, I can say that the display boards are AWESOME!!!!!

Got mine today for Riverboat Gambler. Perfect in every way!

displays3 (resized).jpgdisplays3 (resized).jpg

displays 1 (resized).jpgdisplays 1 (resized).jpg

displays 2 (resized).jpgdisplays 2 (resized).jpg

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Well, I can say that the display boards are AWESOME!!!!!
    Got mine today for Riverboat Gambler. Perfect in every way!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks fantastic!

#505 2 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Looks fantastic!

I agree, and direct plug and play. I mean every connector is exactly the same. No workarounds for high voltage because of LED's or anything, I am super impressed. And the fact that it's able to be used in multiple machines and setups is fantastic planning and workmanship.

Boards and connectors are well labeled and the connectors are even better than originals.

Victor is the man!

Chris

3 weeks later
    #506 2 years ago

Curious . Has anyone installed one of Victors CPU in a Batman Forever ? If so any discovered hiccups? Sound , larger display, LED , color DMD all run smoothly ?

Thanks Shane

#507 2 years ago

Wow. It seems the word "unprecedented" is being used a lot but the Pacific Northwest really did just experience an unprecedented heat wave. I was in the region for the previous all time high of 103F in July 2009. I remember that day. The region just experienced three straight 100F+ days.

I have an external thermometer (not super accurate but reasonable), an internal thermostat and an upstairs thermometer.

• Saturday was 103F outside.
    • Sunday was 107F outside.
    • Monday (the peak) was 112F outside. Inside peaked at 96F main level and 99.99F upstairs.

Needless to say no soldering in that kind of heat! In fact ... no work at all in that kind of heat. Sit in front of the fan and binge watch TV. A welcome break from work but comfort was lacking.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Finally ... I do have a small surprise coming in the next few weeks. That's all that I will say about this at the moment.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-pinball-auction-2021#post-6357584

It's been quite a few weeks and I had to get them built after completing some other builds from weeks before the board fabrication order. Thanks to Brad jellikit for his work at Project Pinball. I am very happy to be able to contribute! If anyone has items (or perhaps services) to contribute I am sure that Brad would love to hear from you.

#508 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Monday (the peak) was 112F outside.

Wow - you got that last batch of boards out just before the heat wave! Take care of yourself - looks like today is the last day of the extreme heat.
    Speaking of the last batch, the ones you sent to me are perfect in every way. We Pinsiders are lucky to be able to get hand-built, small batch boards like yours. The upgraded components (boxed connectors, sockets on everything, extra silkscreen info, etc.) and meticulous assembly are impressive and greatly appreciated.
    I doubt I will ever need to repair one of your boards, but if I do, it will be very easy!
    Highly recommended!

#509 2 years ago

Fascinating how the weather changes around here. This morning it is 67, clean, cool, breezy, and glorious!!!

#510 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Wow. It seems the word "unprecedented" is being used a lot but the Pacific Northwest really did just experience an unprecedented heat wave. I was in the region for the previous all time high of 103F in July 2009. I remember that day. The region just experienced three straight 100F+ days.
    I have an external thermometer (not super accurate but reasonable), an internal thermostat and an upstairs thermometer.

Saturday was 103F outside.
    Sunday was 107F outside.
    Monday (the peak) was 112F outside. Inside peaked at 96F main level and 99.99F upstairs.

Needless to say no soldering in that kind of heat! In fact ... no work at all in that kind of heat. Sit in front of the fan and binge watch TV. A welcome break from work but comfort was lacking.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-pinball-auction-2021#post-6357584
    It's been quite a few weeks and I had to get them built after completing some other builds from weeks before the board fabrication order. Thanks to Brad jellikit for his work at Project Pinball. I am very happy to be able to contribute! If anyone has items (or perhaps services) to contribute I am sure that Brad would love to hear from you.

I can't thank you enough Victor, the boards look great and we can't wait to showcase them at Expo. These need to be seen in-person!

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Saturday was 103F outside.
    Sunday was 107F outside.
    Monday (the peak) was 112F outside. Inside peaked at 96F main level and 99.99F upstairs.

The surprise were the purple PCBs? The donation, or both? Those look super cool. Nice work buddy. Stay cool and take care.

#513 2 years ago

I want to add my appreciation to the work that Victor is doing. I recently purchased a WPC soundboard for a TZ project and he was great in answering all of my questions and working with me. The board arrived, plugged right in, looks amazing and works perfectly.

Stay cool and safe and thank you Victor!!

#514 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead_jack:

I want to add my appreciation to the work that Victor is doing. I recently purchased a WPC soundboard for a TZ project and he was great in answering all of my questions and working with me. The board arrived, plugged right in, looks amazing and works perfectly.
    Stay cool and safe and thank you Victor!!

Simply the best.

#515 2 years ago

Glad the WPC sound gremlins are gone! Happy to help.

#516 2 years ago

I finally received the last of my ethernet cables. once I have the remaining 3 molex connectors (early next month), I will have 2 complete kits of hardware for sale for anyone that wants to purchase the boards from DumbAss and build it as a kit

#517 2 years ago

Looking forward to the System 9 board! Sorcerer wants to Sorcer!

#518 2 years ago

I definitely need a System 9 for a customer's Space Shuttle.

1 week later
    #519 2 years ago

Bumping this topic, Sorcerer needs to run Sys 9 for the win! (please)

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Get a Sys11 and adjust the ROMs.

#521 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I have been working on this for most of the past three weeks straight to the exclusion of pretty much EVERYTHING else. These boards (especially the big boards) take time. I also acquired three (local) boards in that time that are awaiting repair. Two have been waiting for almost two weeks now. Fortunately I provided a loaner to keep the machine running. I thought I was going to have a nice relaxing summer.

Sneak peek. It's a software rendering and the limited screen real estate of my laptop prevents a more detailed image. There's nothing like a physical board. It went into fabrication mid last week and it is now awaiting shipping. I have returned to building boards that were put on hold so I could complete this board. I need to build those boards as the recipients have been waiting patiently. I will likely find the time to squeeze building this board and although it is likely I will be able to bench test it I do not have a physical machine to do actual testing. I need to find someone local who has a machine and is willing to let me try it. More details will be supplied when I have the physical board unless there is demand for the information now.

sneakpeek.jpgsneakpeek.jpg

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Get a Sys11 and adjust the ROMs.

This works. I haven't tried it on my board but I do know that everything I have read about the procedure and the way the board address decode works indicates that it will work. It does require ROM preparation. The big disadvantage is that the mounting holes are upside down. Another disadvantage is that you will likely have to do your own troubleshooting if something goes wrong. I have seen a thread or two asking for help on this forum (specifically related to System 9 software on System 11 hardware) but it seems most people either don't know much about this procedure or don't see the threads in order to be able to provide assistance.

#522 2 years ago

Looks quite nice.
    Huge board, very busy with lots of useful text.
    Gold colored plating - Electrolysis Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG)? Shooting for RoHS compliance? This type of plating is a good choice and I use it often. Easy to use to compared to other RoHS platings.
    J120 (ribbon cable type connection) looks to have enough room at the ends for a shrouded header (boxed in connection) to keep connectors from being off by a row or two. If you can fit in a connector in with ejectors then your customers would love it... but the heat sink below it might be a little close.

#523 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

J120 (ribbon cable type connection) looks to have enough room at the ends for a shrouded header (boxed in connection)

The boards he did make for me in the past did have shrouded header sockets, so I would be supervised if this one didn't support it.

#524 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Gold colored plating - Electrolysis Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG)? Shooting for RoHS compliance? This type of plating is a good choice and I use it often. Easy to use to compared to other RoHS platings.

It's a software rendering. The rest of the machine is not RoHS compliant so I don't make the boards that way. It would seem pointless to me but I could be wrong.

Quoted from G-P-E:

J120 (ribbon cable type connection) looks to have enough room at the ends for a shrouded header (boxed in connection) to keep connectors from being off by a row or two. If you can fit in a connector in with ejectors then your customers would love it... but the heat sink below it might be a little close.

I am guessing the heat sink does not get too hot. It's a 6021/6030 so it does not dissipate too much heat (unlike the 5298). I have not measured the operating temperature so I could be wrong.

Quoted from Coyote:

The boards he did make for me in the past did have shrouded header sockets, so I would be supervised if this one didn't support it.

Yes. I don't bother with "naked" headers. If I'm going to the trouble of making a new layout then I am going to move things around to make sure that shrouded headers will fit. I did this with the WPC-89 CPU board. The original board (or newly available re-prints) do not have enough space to fit the shrouded headers unless you cut one edge of a connector. I have to do this when I retrofit the shrouded headers to an OEM board.

sneakpeek_1j20.jpgsneakpeek_1j20.jpg

#525 2 years ago

Shrouded headers - excellent improvement over the naked headers and saves a lot of headache from having headers off by a row or two. Headers with ejectors is nice to save on ribbon cables but not a must have... just something to keep in the back of your mind. I did notice your earlier boards were not shrouded but I also noticed they were so full that there really wasn't any choice.
    Strange that the software shows the pads as yellow - I thought for sure they were the ENIG type plating (which is kinda pricey). Although it is nice, there is no need for this type of plating for a pinball machine. All my boards for work are ENIG but my pinball boards are always the old standby tin/lead plating. Just can't beat that for cost/performance.
    What software did you use for the rendering of the board? My Mentor PADS doesn't do nearly as nice of a job at rendering images and it always looks like a throwback to the 1980s.

#526 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Headers with ejectors is nice to save on ribbon cables but not a must have... just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I looked for a manufacturer and merchant that sells ejector style headers but I haven't purchased any. It takes a lot of board real estate (relative to the shrouded header). With these System 11 boards I changed the hole from a regular round mounting hole to a keyhole style hole and that takes not only more real estate but also real estate that you cannot route a trace through (because it's a hole and therefore there is no board). It is possible to pack components tighter but the tighter you pack components the harder it is to service in the future or even install when building. I try to space components and traces evenly as well as adhere to a general clearance for manufacturing. This System 9 CPU board was a gift in terms of unused board space. I took advantage of it to add things and retrofit circuit improvements made in System 11 while trying to stay true to System 9 and the original circuit designs.

Quoted from G-P-E:

Strange that the software shows the pads as yellow ...

It's just a color setting. It's the software default. I actually don't see the colors. I just see the layout, traces and silkscreen.

Quoted from G-P-E:

What software did you use for the rendering of the board? My Mentor PADS doesn't do nearly as nice of a job at rendering images and it always looks like a throwback to the 1980s.

The software render is built-in to the CAD software. It is not a gerber viewer so I guess it can take advantage of some internal knowledge it has rather than interpreting the gerber files. I generally don't export to gerber until I am ready for manufacturing. It would be an additional step for viewing which doesn't add much but rather takes more time.

#527 2 years ago

System 9 boards would be huge!!! Good luck!

#528 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I have been working on this for most of the past three weeks straight to the exclusion of pretty much EVERYTHING else. These boards (especially the big boards) take time. I also acquired three (local) boards in that time that are awaiting repair. Two have been waiting for almost two weeks now. Fortunately I provided a loaner to keep the machine running. I thought I was going to have a nice relaxing summer.
    Sneak peek. It's a software rendering and the limited screen real estate of my laptop prevents a more detailed image. There's nothing like a physical board. It went into fabrication mid last week and it is now awaiting shipping. I have returned to building boards that were put on hold so I could complete this board. I need to build those boards as the recipients have been waiting patiently. I will likely find the time to squeeze building this board and although it is likely I will be able to bench test it I do not have a physical machine to do actual testing. I need to find someone local who has a machine and is willing to let me try it. More details will be supplied when I have the physical board unless there is demand for the information now.
    [quoted image]

This works. I haven't tried it on my board but I do know that everything I have read about the procedure and the way the board address decode works indicates that it will work. It does require ROM preparation. The big disadvantage is that the mounting holes are upside down. Another disadvantage is that you will likely have to do your own troubleshooting if something goes wrong. I have seen a thread or two asking for help on this forum (specifically related to System 9 software on System 11 hardware) but it seems most people either don't know much about this procedure or don't see the threads in order to be able to provide assistance.

That board looks great, but I certainly don't want anyone missing summer over pinball, maybe over woodworking,

#529 2 years ago

Physical boards arrived today. Mixed bag of things but one board with some interest.

Disclaimer: The following text is intent (design). I need to build an actual board and verify it works on my bench before proceeding to a machine to verify it there.

The System 9 CPU board. It is 100% compatible with the original design. Speech is implemented on the external speech board (C-10716). There is an optional daughter board that implements speech but has special requirements.

In the original setup sound software (U49) is contained on a 27128 ($4000 or 0x4000 bytes) located at $C000 in the address map. The speech software (U4-U7) is contained on 4x 2732 ($1000 bytes) for a total of $4000 bytes located at $8000 in the address map. The external speech board also implements CVSD and analog mixing of the CVSD output.

When installed and correctly configured the optional daughter board obviates the need for the external speech board. In this setup the ROM at U49 is switched to a specially prepared image written to a 27256 ($8000 bytes). The image contains the 4x 2732 speech images at offset $0000 to $3FFF and the original sound image at offset $4000 to $7FFF to meet the address map requirements. The daughter board implements the CVSD and analog mixing. This requires special ROM preparation so it is not for everyone.

boards_163.jpgboards_163.jpg

Detail of the upper center of the board. This area implements the lamp columns and switch matrix. It shows:

• The silkscreen explaining the daughter board and jumper configuration for it.
    • The silkscreen for the general jumper configuration.
    • The lamp column modifications. The circuit no longer supports the original BJT TIP42 circuit. That circuit generates too much heat. It also takes more board space and it was difficult to squeeze in the circuit to allow BJT or MOSFET installation. I simplified things and made the executive decision to only use MOSFETs. I think it's the right thing but others may disagree.

boards_164.jpgboards_164.jpg

Detail of the lower left quadrant of the board. This area implements the display signals and the special solenoids. There are minor changes to the display signal circuit and improvements to the special solenoid circuit. Completely NEW layout of the entire area. It shows:

• The 74154 (4:16 decoder) IC is now implemented using 2x 74HCT138 (3:8 decoder) ICs.
    • The 470pF capacitors added in System 11 have been back ported.
    • The two factory added capacitors on original boards are now placed on the board.
    • Each special solenoid drive now has a fuse holder (or clips). This is optional and a wire can be installed if not desired.
    • The Zener diodes added in System 11 have been back ported. These are incorrectly located in the optional area. This will be fixed in the next revision but the board is electrically correct.
    • New special solenoid diagnostics.

• A set of switches that are identical to the playfield triggers (not implemented as RC).
      • A set of LED indicators to show trigger state (LED is ON when trigger is closed).
      • A switch to disable or enable these diagnostic features.

boards_165.jpgboards_165.jpg

Detail of the lower right quadrant of the board. It shows:

• Game RAM is 6116 or 6264. The original board only supports 6116. This allows either 6116 or 6264 NVRAM to be used.
    • Sound RAM is 6116 or 6264 not 6810. The 6810 is difficult to find. The best thing is to use a 6802 and not even bother with this RAM.
    • On board diagnostic switches in case coin door diagnostic switches fail. Can be disabled or enabled.
    • Centralized jumper configuration area. Descriptions of the jumper configurations are located at the center of the board as there is no space available for the text.
    • Difficult to see in the image but the MAN72A has been replaced with LSHD-A101. The MAN72A is difficult to find. The LSHD-A101 (or LSHD-7801) is much easier to find. It is conceivable that this can be changed again if parts become difficult to find or a daughter board to translate signals could be made.

boards_166.jpgboards_166.jpg

Close up of the speech daughter board.

boards_167.jpgboards_167.jpg

I need to start building this to get an answer to the question as to whether the board works. I have a potential engagements that may slow down building and I need to find/arrange testing in a physical machine. If the board works then bare boards will be available immediately. Complete boards will be added to the end of my work queue. I only had 5x boards made in this initial fabrication request. I know I need to revise the board (the Zener diodes need to be moved out of the optional area) so once these initial 4x boards (the first one is not available as I keep it for reference and assuming the board works) are gone there will be another delay before the next batch of boards become available.

Now ... need to start building.

#530 2 years ago

Scatter brain. <sigh>.

Two minor things in the boards that recently arrived.

Twilight Zone boards. The 8 High Power Driver board and the 2 lamp (door) flasher board. These boards were made by special request but are available to anyone that wants them.

boards_168.jpgboards_168.jpg

The speaker pop elimination system for WPC-95. It definitely eliminates the pop at power on and the pop after power off but the pop just before the bong is NOT eliminated. There is no easy way to eliminate that.

boards_169.jpgboards_169.jpg

#531 2 years ago

Better late than never. I spent the weekend building the System 9 CPU board. I wanted an answer if it worked or not and if not what the problems are so I have an idea of things to examine. I like to have low priority threads going on. You never know when the penny will drop on what is causing problems.

Finally ... after a long time in development ... the board works (on the bench). All tests passed. Including the sound and speech. I don't have an external speech board so I haven't tested that aspect but I prepared the special ROM (combined sound and speech) and it works. I also tested 6808 with 6264 as well as 6802 without 6264 for the sound. Display works. Sound/speech works. Solenoids work - controlled and special. Switches work. Special solenoid diagnostics also works.

boards_170.jpgboards_170.jpg

I added a coin and started a "game". The display shows "00" for the score but the timing of the image doesn't show it.

boards_171.jpgboards_171.jpg

The complete board (right side up). The 2x20 ribbon header is not populated as I need to order the part.

boards_172.jpgboards_172.jpg

While building it I found one very minor silkscreen error. The key for the power (1J17) connector. The board is electrically correct. There are a few other things that will be tweaked. I still need to test in a physical machine but I have never had an instance of a board passing on the bench but failing in a machine due to a board issue. Failure in a machine is always an issue with another board or the wiring of the machine.

The four remaining boards I have are available if anyone has been waiting and wants one immediately. If/When those are gone there will be a delay as I need to make the modifications and have the next revision fabricated. The BOM is mostly the same as the OEM board but there are some IC and electrical changes to "modernize" it. The obvious changes are:

1. Replacing the 3x BT97/74365/74367 (3x6 buffer) with 2x 74244 and 1x 74125 (2x8+1x4 buffer).
    2. Replacing the 1x 74154 (1x 4:16 decoder) with 2x 74138 (2x 3:8 decoder).
    3. Replacing the 6116 with the option for a 6116 or 6264.
    4. Replacing the 6810 with a the option for a 6116 or 6264.
    5. Removing support for the TIP42 and only supporting MOSFETs in the lamp column drives.
    6. Replacing the MAN72A with LSHD-7801.
    7. Adding
      • 24x 470pF capacitors.
      • 6x Zener diodes.
      • 6x fuses to individual fuse the special solenoid drives.

Bare boards are available immediately. I will be updating the BOM document in the near future. Complete boards will be added to the end of the work queue.

Now (really) back to building boards requested from over a month ago.

#532 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Better late than never. I spent the weekend building the System 9 CPU board. I wanted an answer if it worked or not and if not what the problems are so I have an idea of things to examine. I like to have low priority threads going on. You never know when the penny will drop on what is causing problems.
    Finally ... after a long time in development ... the board works (on the bench). All tests passed. Including the sound and speech. I don't have an external speech board so I haven't tested that aspect but I prepared the special ROM (combined sound and speech) and it works. I also tested 6808 with 6264 as well as 6802 without 6264 for the sound. Display works. Sound/speech works. Solenoids work - controlled and special. Switches work. Special solenoid diagnostics also works.
    [quoted image]
    I added a coin and started a "game". The display shows "00" for the score but the timing of the image doesn't show it.
    [quoted image]
    The complete board (right side up). The 2x20 ribbon header is not populated as I need to order the part.
    [quoted image]
    While building it I found one very minor silkscreen error. The key for the power (1J17) connector. The board is electrically correct. There are a few other things that will be tweaked. I still need to test in a physical machine but I have never had an instance of a board passing on the bench but failing in a machine due to a board issue. Failure in a machine is always an issue with another board or the wiring of the machine.
    The four remaining boards I have are available if anyone has been waiting and wants one immediately. If/When those are gone there will be a delay as I need to make the modifications and have the next revision fabricated. The BOM is mostly the same as the OEM board but there are some IC and electrical changes to "modernize" it. The obvious changes are:

Replacing the 3x BT97/74365/74367 (3x6 buffer) with 2x 74244 and 1x 74125 (2x8+1x4 buffer).
    Replacing the 1x 74154 (1x 4:16 decoder) with 2x 74138 (2x 3:8 decoder).
    Replacing the 6116 with the option for a 6116 or 6264.
    Replacing the 6810 with a the option for a 6116 or 6264.
    Removing support for the TIP42 and only supporting MOSFETs in the lamp column drives.
    Replacing the MAN72A with LSHD-7801.
    Adding

24x 470pF capacitors.
    6x Zener diodes.
    6x fuses to individual fuse the special solenoid drives.

Bare boards are available immediately. I will be updating the BOM document in the near future. Complete boards will be added to the end of the work queue.
    Now (really) back to building boards requested from over a month ago.

Great work! Can’t wait to hear more.

#533 2 years ago

That is exactly one metric fuckton amount of work. The hobby is better off thanks to your efforts Victor. Huzzah!

#534 2 years ago

Love.seeing the progress on the System 9 MPU. Please consider changing your Pinside name.

#535 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Love.seeing the progress on the System 9 MPU. Please consider changing your Pinside name.

Agree “DA electronics”

#536 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

SmartAss?

#537 2 years ago

BadAss!

#538 2 years ago

Awesome work DA and I’m hoping Sorcerer will finally come to life with one of these. Gotta be a crazy BOM

#539 2 years ago

Got back from testing in my friend James' Sorcerer.

boards_173.jpgboards_173.jpg
    boards_174.jpgboards_174.jpg

Both configurations work. Shown in the images is the unified (stand alone = does not require OEM speech board) configuration.

• Original ROMs (2764+2732 game and 27128 sound) with OEM speech board.
    • Unified ROMs (27128 game and 27256 sound+speech) with daughter speech board.

Special solenoid diagnostics work as expected.

This board is officially ready having passed the final test. The list in the initial post will be updated shortly.

#540 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Got back from testing in my friend James' Sorcerer.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Both configurations work. Shown in the images is the unified (stand alone = does not require OEM speech board) configuration.

Original ROMs (2764+2732 game and 27128 sound) with OEM speech board.
    Unified ROMs (27128 game and 27256 sound+speech) with daughter speech board.

Special solenoid diagnostics work as expected.
    This board is officially ready having passed the final test. The list in the initial post will be updated shortly.

Awesome work!

#541 2 years ago

You are fucking amazing. Nice work!

1 week later
    #542 2 years ago

I finally received the missing molex connectors from mouser yesterday so I now have 2 complete kits of parts (containing approx. 390 components and (13) color coded 5' cat5E ethernet cables (6 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, 1 black, 1 green, 1 white) for those wishing to build the portable test kit (for both system 11 and WPC) that DA is offering.

the price is $150 plus shipping (first come, first served). once both sets are gone, that's it. I initially ordered enough components for 3 sets due to the price break cost savings.

pm me your details to calculate the shipping costs and get you a total. this contains all of the resistors, diodes, caps, molex connectors, ethernet connectors and an LED block (I believe I have red, white, yellow and green available).

what's not included? the blank boards offered by DA (original post) for System 11 + WPC is $150. Includes only one of each of the common boards.
    those, you will need to source by the thread creator

edit:
    1 set available, 1 set sold

ps
    it appears that I can fit all of the components (including the (13) 5' ethernet cables) into a usps priority medium flat rate box, so shipping shouldn't be too bad

edit 2:
    I decided to include the 4 different colored LED blocks with both kits. they weren't that expensive to begin with and I'm not sure what other projects I would use them with. this way you can decide which one you want to use (and the rest are your problem, not mine!

1 week later
    #543 2 years ago

I had an idea....but it may not be something you are interested in since it would likely only be for builders. Since WPC transformers can be so hard to find, have you considered developing a WPC PDB that omits all of the AC rectification circuitry but would allow plugging in DC Power supplies? My thought is a stack of DC PS's for each of the required voltage/power inputs could be used in place of the multi tap x-frmr. This would leave only a 6V AC one required for GI?

Another option would be to add headers your current design that would allow the bypass of the rectification circuits.

Just a thought...Let the beatings begin .

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from Walamab:

I had an idea....but it may not be something you are interested in since it would likely only be for builders. Since WPC transformers can be so hard to find, have you considered developing a WPC PDB that omits all of the AC rectification circuitry but would allow plugging in DC Power supplies? My thought is a stack of DC PS's for each of the required voltage/power inputs could be used in place of the multi tap x-frmr. This would leave only a 6V AC one required for GI?
    Another option would be to add headers your current design that would allow the bypass of the rectification circuits.

Comet LEDs are AC or DC, and I think many are. No clue if incandescent bulbs can handle DC, but you might be able to run everything with 5/12/48VDC power supplies.

#545 2 years ago
    Quoted from Walamab:

I think the main objection to this would be the reliability of the parts over time. Transformers don't fail. BUT.....it would be a nice drop in for people with missing ones or ones that got cooked by lightning, etc.

#546 2 years ago
    Quoted from Walamab:

Since WPC transformers can be so hard to find, have you considered developing a WPC PDB that omits all of the AC rectification circuitry but would allow plugging in DC Power supplies? My thought is a stack of DC PS's for each of the required voltage/power inputs could be used in place of the multi tap x-frmr. This would leave only a 6V AC one required for GI?

Apologies for not replying sooner. I try to minimize posts in order to prevent unnecessary bumps or making the thread state "on fire".

There are couple of responses to your suggestions.

• I agree that WPC transformers can be difficult to find if one has been damaged. It is possible to replace the multiple windings in the transformer with transformers that have separate windings. I do this on my bench. For the power board there are five separate windings. For the sound board there is a center tap winding which requires a transformer with such connections. I don't have a transformer for the high voltage for plasma displays. I'm not a fan of the plasma displays due to the heat dissipation in the voltage regulation circuit. I also try to avoid high voltage on my bench. I don't like getting zapped or having the potential to have some form of cardiac arrhythmia while working on stuff.
    • One issue with aftermarket switching power supplies is that they might not be able to provide sustained current at the required voltage. It will depend on the switching power supply product that you use but it is worth noting what their rated current outputs are. It is also worth noting that if you buy from Chinese merchants (or Chinese products) that their specified ratings might not also be true or accurate.
    • The problem with providing headers for some external DC power is that there is not a lot of space left on the original board. I already consumed more space than the original by replacing the bridge rectifiers with discrete diodes. It is possible to make more space by pushing components closer together (much like what was done in WPC-95) or by replacing discrete resistors with resistor networks. Of course the ultimate way to make more space is to switch some components to surface mount. The bottom line ... nothing is free. In order to add some feature something else has to give.
    • I am currently working on a power board (in the copious amount of free time that I don't have) but I honestly doubt I will be able to add such a feature. For the reasons previously provided. Typically it is space restraints. The board physical dimensions and mounting holes are static ("anchored") and cannot be altered. The only easy way to add things is to use a daughter board but I would prefer not to do that for power requirement. The other issue with daughter boards is that they also create "anchor" points. This creates hazards when laying out tracks on the board.
    Quoted from Walamab:

Everybody has different life experiences and different life perspectives. The more thoughts and ideas ... the better. This is how the best products are made. Feedback given. Feedback either accepted or rejected. When rejected a good reason should be provided.

Quoted from ibis:

I think the main objection to this would be the reliability of the parts over time. Transformers don't fail. BUT.....it would be a nice drop in for people with missing ones or ones that got cooked by lightning, etc.

Transformer windings that are not fused could overheat from excessive current draw. This would cause the wire insulation to fail and potentially short rendering the winding worthless. As previously mentioned it is possible to replace the single transformer containing multiple windings with multiple transformers containing a single winding. If a transformer with the required ratio cannot be found it is possible to chain multiple transformers to achieve the desired ratio. A less than ideal solution. A solution that will work if the part is not available.

#547 2 years ago

Brief update.

I had been board building for weeks but last week I took in some boards for repair. Boards all local. Two alkaline corroded and one "no boot".

1. A WPC-89 CPU board with light alkaline corrosion. The corrosion was reasonably well spread affecting U15, U16, U17, U20 and some of the resistors/capacitors below. A few traces had been corroded away. It was repaired over the course of two days. I spent less time repairing this than it would have taken to build a new one.
    2. A System 11A CPU board with light alkaline corrosion. Mostly affecting the legs of ICs (in the "corrosion zone") but affecting the entire reset section and some of the power input capacitors. Repair didn't go smoothly. I spent two and half solid (mostly full) days working on this board. Equivalent to the amount of time to build a new one. Building a new one however is not as frustrating as figuring out why the board does not start correctly after repair.
    3. A System 11B CPU board presenting as "no boot". This one was interesting. Leon ROM passed. Game ROM does not work. Some game ROMs did not report any errors (Taxi and Black Knight 2000). Other game ROMs (Swords of Fury and Police Force) reported error code 9 (IRQ failure). After much fighting I got it working. There was one incident where it reverted to the previous error code 9. Then it went away and started working. It has stayed working since. I have definitely spent less time on this than it would have taken to build a new one but ... it was more frustrating (I am still a little puzzled at the potential instability) and worrying about potential re-emergence of the failure. For the moment the board works but I suspect it may re-present at a later time. At that time I would recommend replacement. The board is fragile enough (from age) and I had to do some trace repairs even though I was being as careful as possible when removing ICs.

Conclusion: I will probably stop accepting alkaline corrosion repairs and just switch to building new boards. I like to keep my blood pressure in check and dealing with alkaline corrosion is a sure way to raise it. Not to mention that lovely smell of alkaline permeated solder when you heat it up. That smell is unmistakable.

As a reminder to people who may be reading I do offer complete (built) boards but I am not fast at building so if you're patient and would like a complete board they are available. I may be providing longer lead times in the near future (will not affect boards already accepted for building) as I have recently accepted a machine restoration job that will take time away from building boards.

#548 2 years ago

Hi DumbAss hope you are well, I am looking to see if I can purchase a System11 CPU/MPU board from you for my big guns project. Please let me know how much it will cost. I live in the UK so have you shipped any of your boards to the UK ?

#549 2 years ago

Would you consider making a Data East/Sega/Whitestar GI smoother board? Craig Aker made the EnerGI Maestro a few years ago but doesn't appear to be persuing this anymore. Still plenty of interest:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/9#post-6483071

#550 2 years ago

DumbAss I am making good progress on building one of the Data East MPU boards but had a couple questions:

The documentation shows the jumpers for the Williams System 11 boards but I didn't see a section that covered the Data East jumpers although they look pretty straightforward from the silkscreen on the PCB. For the 2ms and 1ms and for the frequency select does the * by the b mean that is the default setting?

The other part that isn't clear is the way the lamp matrix is populated. It looks like it can be done the traditional way with TIP42 or with FET devices for the columns. Do you have a suggested build for R201-R208, R31-R38, when the TIP42 is used and also when the FETs are used? If the FETs are installed would all of those resistors just be the 0 ohm jumpers?

Also, any suggested part numbers for the relay and for the 4.7uH 3A inductors?

There are 1,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/11?hl=zhu808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.