5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jackbot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

OK, working on a TOTAN.

There are like 6 unplugged molex connectors in the wiring harness under the playfield that seem to have no match.

Is that normal for WPC-95? Or TOTAN in particular?

RussMyers

#2 5 years ago

No idea about totan but my congo has quite a few connectors under the playfield that arnt used.

#3 5 years ago

That's normal on WPC / WPC95 games.
    Wondered about this myself many years ago. Maybe someone close to Williams can now provide more information as why this was done ?

#4 5 years ago

I believe they used the same wireing harness for many games they mass produced. Most games of this era have unused connectors where those connectors were used on other games.

#5 5 years ago

OK, makes sense.

Everything is working properly but it's odd to see so many unused connectors just hanging there.

Thanks,

RussM

#6 5 years ago

Very good info.Thanks

#7 5 years ago

From what I was told the game was supposed to feature more toys and that's what the connectors were going to be used for. Rick even said at one time that they may be produced with the upgraded software.

#8 5 years ago

Former cable designer here.....The cables for all Williams/Bally playfields where made custom for each game. There was very little that was common to each game (like bottom flippers and slings). It was common for devices to be removed near the end of development and sometimes_ the connectors/wires were left in place. The other reason you commonly see extra molex connectors is due to a limit in the longest length the automated wire cutter could handle (something like 100 inches). If the harness required a wire longer than that, the factory would add a molex connector to splice the wires to get the desired length.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-question-unplugged-molex-connectors-under-playfield-totan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.