Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oreally_baby.gif
PB250769.JPG
image-5.jpg
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get this sleeve on the post. Game is a Big Guns, there's one of these large yellow post bumpers in front of each cannon. Cut the old ones off but there is no way these are going on easily. There's got to be a trick to do this without damaging the bumper. Help, my fingers are killing me from trying to push this on!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Stupid answer maybe:

use a hair dryer to warm it up so that it can stretch over.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get this sleeve on the post. Game is a Big Guns, there's one of these large yellow post bumpers in front of each cannon. Cut the old ones off but there is no way these are going on easily. There's got to be a trick to do this without damaging the bumper. Help, my fingers are killing me from trying to push this on!

Put a nut on the bottom to protect the threads place rubber on top with a little spit on it and put it in a vise and press it on.
Once you get it started loosen the vise socket on top and press it the rest of the way.

#4 10 years ago

Hold the post bumper in hot water for a while. Warm it up. You should then be able to slip it on the post.

#5 10 years ago

wrong rubber. I had the same problem when I orderd the kit you need yellow rubber CONES they're soft and slide right on I split that kind trying to get it on.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RB-23-6579

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

wrong rubber. I had the same problem when I orderd the kit you need yellow rubber CONES they're soft and slide right on I split that kind trying to get it on.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RB-23-6579

Those are the same posts and fat rubber used on Hyperball as cannon stops on each side.
Always best to check the manual to confirm.

#7 10 years ago

OEM is def cylinder bumpers, not cones, but I'll try anything. I can easly see one of these splitting before it goes on, it's not even close. My next step was bumpers from another source, when I order those I'll get cones too and try them both.

#8 10 years ago

I tried heating them up to soften them with no luck and it finally split trying to get it on. My BG had cones but when I got the rubber kit it came with those cylindrical yellow rocks not my fault they ship the wrong stuff.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

OEM is def cylinder bumpers, not cones, but I'll try anything. I can easly see one of these splitting before it goes on, it's not even close. My next step was bumpers from another source, when I order those I'll get cones too and try them both.

If they are fresh they shouldn't split I had no problems pressing them on with my vise, I have pretty strong hands but no way to do this with your fingers unless you are the Hulk.

#10 10 years ago

Dishwashing soap...

#11 10 years ago

Got it! Put them in a c-clamp, they went right on. Thanks for the tips!image-5.jpgimage-5.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Use a squirt of Windex.

Slippery stuff and good for getting stuck rings off fingers and rubber on posts.
No residue.

#13 10 years ago

Well timed thread for me. The 74 Williams Sky Lab I am working on has these. And I am close to putting these on. Thanks!
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rehab-the-sky-lab-1974-williams-single-player-em
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#14 10 years ago

Had the same issue, I drilled a hole and fit the post into a piece of scrap wood, then put the rubber on the top of the post and stepped on it

#15 10 years ago

I was thinking freezer for post and hot water or hair dryer for rubber... Glad u got it working

#16 10 years ago

Here's my solution. I learned this trick while rebuilding the carburetors on my Corvair (used to get the accelerator pump cup onto the rod). Get a tube of Silicone (or something else that uses the screw on funnel) - and cut off the appropriate amount so you have a nice cone to guide the rubber onto the post. This worked great without any need for lubrication or other preparation.
PB250769.JPGPB250769.JPG
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#17 10 years ago

Now that is a neat trick.

oreally_baby.giforeally_baby.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cary, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-question-there-has-to-be-a-trick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.