(Topic ID: 12889)

Dumb question, but where do I buy wiring for pinball?

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by cowman57
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss_cows.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I need an additional length of wire for my bell on my taxi.

Where does one buy this wire at? What gauge?

#2 12 years ago

You need to get wire based on amps your pulling, there are charts to determine. You can get wire from digikey, mouser, any hardware store, but make sure it's stranded not solid

#3 12 years ago

If you have a crimper tool you will see gauge holes,Just put the wire through the hole that fits it and you will know what gauge it is.Radio shack sells a variety/bundle pack of different wires it is a good buy and you can always use the different wires for future purposes.Grab some heat shrink tubing while your at it.

#4 12 years ago

if you replace a length of wire, label it with the color it is supposed to be in the manual. makes trouble shooting easier down the line.

#5 12 years ago

I keep harnesses from parted out games around for this very purpose. Find the right color, etc and install it.

Bay Area Amusements had most colors at one point, might be worth a check.

#6 12 years ago

I never thought about color.

Good point fellas.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

If you have a crimper tool you will see gauge holes,Just put the wire through the hole that fits it and you will know what gauge it is.

Please note, that this is WITHOUT the insulation on the wire. Depending on insulation class, voltage class, etc, the insulation will be thicker and would skew your results. What you are trying to measure is the circular mils (cross sectional area) of the copper, not the 'wire'

As a general rule, anything in the PF, non motor/solenoid related 18 awg, any board work, unless it's a solenoid/power trace, 22 awg. Anything solenoid/power related I try to use 16 awg. Main power cable coming into transformer, 14 awg.

#8 12 years ago

Not a dumb question. Ive often wondered this myself.

#9 12 years ago

John is right. Bay area sells just about every kind of colored wire you can think of. All in 10 foot lenghths for about $2.50/10'.

I emailed them and asked if they sell a kit or the like with a bunch of shorter sections.

#10 12 years ago

You can get get kits with 10 colors each from Bob Roberts.

http://therealbobroberts.net/conectas.html#wire

steve

#11 12 years ago

Hi Blackbeard. Seriously, I mean you no disrespect. I always assumed that with as many karma points as you have, you were much more knowledgable about the electronics, and repairs of a pin than I was. Then you ask a simple question about wire that is so basic, I even knew the answer. How did you get so many karme points? Sorry about my teasing!

#12 12 years ago

Just want to make sure I do things the right way cowman.

Wasn't it you that asked what the single lamp test does?

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from cowman57:

Hi Blackbeard. Seriously, I mean you no disrespect. I always assumed that with as many karma points as you have, you were much more knowledgable about the electronics, and repairs of a pin than I was. Then you ask a simple question about wire that is so basic, I even knew the answer. How did you get so many karme points? Sorry about my teasing!

Karma points are based on posts (and other contributions), not your knowledge base of the post. Your comment sounds a little insulting towards him quite honestly, regardless of your intent.

No questions are too basic, and I bet there are a lot people who read this that learned new things as well. It spawned answers to gauge of wires, as well as somewhere to buy it.

Comments like that make people reluctant in the future to post questions.

#14 12 years ago

It was meant as good natured teasing...I hope Blackbeard knows that.

#15 12 years ago

He gave me crap (which I took with a good chuckle), about a single lamp test, which seemed repetative after you just checked all the lamps in the previous test.

#16 12 years ago

No worries.

I can take a little razzing every now and then.

#17 12 years ago

I'm sorry!!!!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from sscharf:

You can get get kits with 10 colors each from Bob Roberts.
    http://therealbobroberts.net/conectas.html#wire
    steve

good find here.

#19 12 years ago

Now everybody is gonna think I'm a D-bag too!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from cowman57:

No one thinks youre a D bag. Relax. haha.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from cowman57:

I see. I didn't know the previous stuff. No foul - hard to interpret everything on forums in the right light.

#22 12 years ago

Nope... You're definitely a "C" bag. (on account that you are a cow. )

Don't worry cowman,
    Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to convey when typing a sentence.

ss_cows.jpgss_cows.jpg

"Moooooo!"

#23 12 years ago

I don't recall ever playing a DMD game, What game has cows on the DMD? Isn't there some pin that has a cow on the PF?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-question-but-where-do-i-buy-wiring-for-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.