Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi guys, I have always only ever worked on Gottlieb machines, and a neighbor wants to pay me to do some basic cleanup on a Bally Fireball (clean, wax, new rubbers, new lightbulbs, mostly aesthetic stuff).

This is a dumb question, but is everything pretty much the same on a Bally in terms of taking the glass out, removing pal nuts, taking plastics off, removing rubbers, changing lightbulbs etc.?

#2 3 years ago

On my one Bally machine, I’ve been lucky so far, with little going wrong. What I’ve picked up from reading on the forum- Bally’s light sockets along with their Jones plugs, are junky- so be aware of light sockets being a possible problem.

#3 3 years ago

Yes, they are all generally the same. You'll be fine.

#4 3 years ago

Well you might enjoy actually being able to see the switches on the score motor

You should have no problem though.

#5 3 years ago

Coin op model or home edition??

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

is everything pretty much the same on a Bally in terms of taking the glass out

This is a little different. On Gottlieb the glass slides out the front. On at least some Ballys the glass tilts up with the side rails.

#7 3 years ago

Ballys the backglass has a lift trim and the insert panel is fixed. Most gottlieb EMs the backglass comes out the back after tilting the panel back. Depending on the exact year (not sure on fireball), ballys sometimes have hollow metal posts directly bonded to the plastics, or use a regular wood screw instead of one with a hex head and the acorn nut on top, so removing the plastics can be a pain

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Well you might enjoy actually being able to see the switches on the score motor
You should have no problem though.

Not to mention being able to see the relay switches better, the score reels switches better, being able to take steppers apart easier, etc.

#9 3 years ago

Pretty much what they said. If you an work on a Gottlieb, you can work on a Bally. Gottlieb's are kind of like basic training, once past that you can work on anything EM.

#10 3 years ago

I'm not an EM repair guy, but worth pointing out that Fireball has zipper flippers, which aren't common. It also has locking saucers and a spinning disk. Make sure all those things are working correctly before you dig in.

For it's day, Fireball was a packed game. A ramp, spinning disk, zipper flippers and multiball. It was the #1 game in my area for years.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This is a little different. On Gottlieb the glass slides out the front. On at least some Ballys the glass tilts up with the side rails.

Yes, and there are two prop rods recessed into the top edge of the cabinet sides to support the glass and frame. Unless you have three hands, you have to do them one at a time while supporting the glass and frame with one hand. Probably better to remove the entire glass and siderail/lockdown bar assembly, and put it aside. It is removable.

#12 3 years ago

Yeah I was gonna say it's easier to remove the glass & frame , it unlocks through the coin door like most machines.

There is no "service position" rails for the playfield but you can lift it about straight up & strap it to the head if you need to work underneath for any prolonged period.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:Yeah I was gonna say it's easier to remove the glass & frame , it unlocks through the coin door like most machines.
There is no "service position" rails for the playfield but you can lift it about straight up & strap it to the head if you need to work underneath for any prolonged period.

They do have a prop rod and the ability to move the playfield forward and lean it against the head.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

They do have a prop rod and the ability to move the playfield forward and lean it against the head.

I just noticed that about service rails you do have to move the prop-rod over to use the notch in the rails

#15 3 years ago

I just fully rebuilt a 1972 Fireball and have it in my collection. I know that machine inside and out. PM me if you have questions. I also rebuilt my zipper mechanism with new bushings and various other bits.

Work is busy again, so PM is the best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-question-about-ballys?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.