Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cgdexpx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Over the old colors on a in shape cabinet ? Following the design . Especially on the very simple ones . Even someone with my next to nothing skill set could do it .

#2 5 years ago

Adhesion. The new paint needs a clean, prepped, and sealed surface to stick to.

Also, the new paint may not be chemically compatible with the old paint, which can lead to lifting.

#4 5 years ago

Coming from a painter it is possible. However, you will need to rough up the surface enough for adhesion but still will need to leave the outline for a stencil. Then you do take the risk paint reaction but most likely you can do it.

#5 5 years ago

If you plan on removing old paint with sand paper or by way of a stripper fluid and follow up scraping, remember to do this outside or in an area where you have the equipment to vac away the dust in a machine with good filters (HEPA). This is especially true for old EM-cabinets who most certainly might contain some lead in the paint. You might already know this, but its a serious health hazard that deserves to be highlighted. Good luck.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks. I thought about the sanding prior to painting . Also matching the colors first .

#7 5 years ago

Also keep in mind some paints change color slightly as they dry.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Also keep in mind some paints change color slightly as they dry.

AND if they are old and faded, you don't want those colors anyway

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from cgdexpx:

Over the old colors on a in shape cabinet ? Following the design . Especially on the very simple ones . Even someone with my next to nothing skill set could do it .

Someone did this on my Williams Gulfstream. They did a terrible job. It looks finger painted. Not saying you shouldn't, but if you do, do a nice job.

#10 5 years ago

The easiest way I’ve found to colour match is to, Paint your colours on a clear plastic sheet, like an overhead projector sheet. Let them dry first then hold it up to the original to see if they match.

Edit. Also have a woman check to see if the colours match. Men can’t see colour as well as women, and are usually slightly colour blind.

#11 5 years ago

Of course you can paint on top or try to restore. I have done it multiple times with excellent results.

Best is to do the following:

- Clean thoroughly the old paint to provide the right color and some bite for the new colors.
    - Use chemically neutral colors such as Acrylic (I use them all the time for cabinet and playfield repairs).
    - As mentioned, use the clear overhead transparent sheet technique to see if you color matches.
    - Paint carefully small sections or use an airbrush for larger areas.
    - I like to clear coat the whole thing with Polycrylic and a foam applicator.

You can see two machines I restored using that technique:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ycv-gottlieb-buck-rogers-restoration-or-the-infamous-system-1

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ycv-recel-lady-luck-restoration-my-first-em

Good luck.
    Yves

#12 5 years ago

Your game do what you want, don't like it? sand it off and try again.

#13 5 years ago

It seems like it would be more work anyhow. When you use a stencil to repaint, you paint over a clean basecoat. If you were to retrace originals, you'd have to maintain clean lines on both the stencil and the basecoat unless you're leaving the base color as is. But, with clean paint as your stencil colors it won't look right having the original base on there. It would almost certainly be yellowed or dull.

#14 5 years ago

I don`t have the skill set to make a stencil. It is a bummer that so many people have decent skills but will refuse to accept reasonable wages to do something . That is the nature of handy man work. I use to own a lot of rental property and get ridiculus quotes all the time.

My thing is I make 47 .00 and hour and pay tax on that , so I will pay someone 43 .00 cash and hour which is a lot when you do not pay State, FICA, Social Security .

#15 5 years ago

What game are we talking about?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from cgdexpx:

I don`t have the skill set to make a stencil. It is a bummer that so many people have decent skills but will refuse to accept reasonable wages to do something . That is the nature of handy man work. I use to own a lot of rental property and get ridiculus quotes all the time.
    My thing is I make 47 .00 and hour and pay tax on that , so I will pay someone 43 .00 cash and hour which is a lot when you do not pay State, FICA, Social Security .

I think that's your problem. If the work can be done in 2-3 hrs it hardly seems worth the effort of the artist. If it takes a few days then they run the risk of you complaining about the time its taking. My suggestion would be negotiate a fixed price with someone for the entire job that you both agree upon.

#17 5 years ago

I do not have a problem with the time frame at all. I have been paying an hourly rate for work on rental properties since 1979 . Sometimes I pay a stated rate for someone who has done a lot of work for me. It is the nature of labor. One time a guy came out to replace an inside door. He quoted 450 .00 . I said how long will the door take 1 hour max he said. He saw the ridiculous price he had quoted. I have yet to look for a painter.

As for artists yes I agree with you , they value their time way too much lol. That is why so many are unemployed . Or living in their car. THEY turn their nose up at 5 hours work and sit at home. Many a time I took 1 hour of work , 2 hours of work gladly . Instead of earning NOTHING. Especially when it is cash .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-novice-why-cant-you-simply-paint?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.