Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I know this sounds stupid, but when your game has opto sensors (like my DM) for the flipper buttons, does hitting them harder make any difference in the power transferred to the flipper? I know it sounds stupid, but I thought that pushing them harder might cause them to block less of the optical path and make for a stronger flip. But then again, I'm sure flippers could easily be as simple as an On/Off switch.

#2 9 years ago

actually, you're right! that is a dumb question!

the answer is no. your flipper switch, whether opto or leaf, is just an on/off switch. but the timing of hitting them can impact the trajectory of your shot. (dumb flipper statement of the day)

-jon

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Now wait just a second here. I thought there weren't dumb questions, just dumb people.

I just wasn't sure because when I watch some of the online videos you see people hitting them normally and then other times they are bashing on them like crazy.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

the answer is no. your flipper switch, whether opto or leaf, is just an on/off switch. but the timing of hitting them can impact the trajectory of your shot. (dumb flipper statement of the day)
-jon

Well yeah, and remember that for EM games, the full coil current for the power stroke goes through the flipper button leaf switches (and EOS switches too). So hitting the button harder won't make the ball move faster, but it's important t keep these contacts clean and aligned for full flipper power. (To paraphrase Dr House, "It's never the coil.")

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Now wait just a second here. I thought there weren't dumb questions, just dumb people.
I just wasn't sure because when I watch some of the online videos you see people hitting them normally and then other times they are bashing on them like crazy.

You might be seeing someone do a slap save where they are trying to move the playfield to cause the ball trajectory to save the ball off the tip of a flipper...

Or they might just be mongoloids monkey flipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-flipper-question-of-the-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.