(Topic ID: 226095)

Dumb coin door lock question...

By Zennmaster

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

This may be a dumb question about coin door locks, or maybe a question about dumb coin door locks.

I like to keep a key with a fob in the coin door lock of each of my games, unless there will be a lot of people around, at which time I throw the keys into a locked box. Having the key in the game makes it really easy to get inside if I need to, and in my house, anything that keeps things small, important things like keys from getting lost is worth the effort.

Thing is, two of my games have newer locks on the coin doors. Both of them lock in the horizontal position, and they turn so easily that they unlock during the course of normal game play and the doors swing open. At the very least, this is a big distraction, and really no fun at all.

The locks are the standard double-bitted ones that Marco, Pinball Life and everyone else sells. They appear to be identical to the one that came in my AFMRLE. So:

Is there a way to increase the "friction" of the locks, so that they don't "flop" open so easily?

I tried tightening the screw that holds the lock into the lock-bar mechanism, but all that did was jam it up so that it didn't turn at all.

I know I can avoid the problem by keeping the keys somewhere else, but I am more interested in actually solving it. It works for half of my current lineup, I'd really like to bring the other half into alignment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

#2 5 years ago

Can you rotate the locking arm so when the lock "flops down" it's actually locking it?

Other than that, you can always just bend the coin door a bit so it's tight against where it closes. I don't have any locks in and it keeps them closed.

#3 5 years ago

The cam on the lock can be bent a little to grip the door tighter so it doesn't move.

Or slide the key out a tiny bit, then it won't turn.

Or duct tape the door closed.

Or weld it shut.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : That's all I got.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The cam on the lock can be bent a little to grip the door tighter so it doesn't move.
    Or duct tape the door closed.
    Or weld it shut.
    Disclaimer : That's all I got.

You forgot; Wedge a chunk of cardboard between door and door frame.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

You forgot; Wedge a chunk of cardboard between door and door frame.

You forgot to do that and kick it closed.

#6 5 years ago

Store the keys in the coin return.
    The little door will actually close with the key at an angle.

Works for me...

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the help!

I'm gonna try this first:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Can you rotate the locking arm so when the lock "flops down" it's actually locking it?

Then this:

Quoted from LTG:

And finally this:

Quoted from LTG:

Or weld it shut.

I'll let y'all know how it works out.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

(S)lide the key out a tiny bit, then it won't turn.

Aaaaaaand, we have a winner!

Getting into the habit of sliding the key out just far enough to free the first pin in the chamber is a sufficiently small change that I think it will work out just fine.

Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumb-coin-door-lock-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.