(Topic ID: 188649)

Duluth, MN / Superior, WI Pinball League

By northvibe

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Blue Green Red Music Icons Open Mic Night Flyer_20231228_105427_0000 (resized).png
    IMG_2817 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    8C6F1F96-188F-49CE-91B7-08B9577E2673 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Best of luck with your efforts!! I've been wanting to do something similar, but as of now there are no locations with pins in the St Cloud area. Have considered opening up my home for some weekly pin tournaments if I can find enough interest... but have to convince the wife to turn my basement into a tavern once a week and that's an uphill struggle.

Be sure to post updates on this thread as you go along and I'll try to learn from the things you are doing to use towards my goal in central MN.

1 week later
    #16 6 years ago

Just a quick noted to let the "up north" gang know that there is an awesome monthly tournament (IMHO) at Tilt Pinball Bar in Minneapolis. The new barcade has already been covered in other threads and news media coverage, so no need to go into it here. But if you aren't aware of this new place that just opened in April, you should definitely check it out.

The monthly tournament is typically held the last Sunday of the month at 4pm (May was moved up 1 week due to Memorial day). I have zero affiliation with the tournament, but have entered it twice now and even though I only have like 3-4 tournaments ever under my belt (so limited knowledge of how a tournament should be run) I think it is organized very well. Both months so far have had turnouts of 40+ entrants.

Definitely worth the drive to come down and participate... I make the trek from St Cloud and am typically home by 10pm, even after going sorta deep last night (tied for 8th). However a run to the final round might get you back to Duluth an hour or two later depending on your drive time.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Thanks for the heads up. I've only made it to a couple launch parties, the league stuff would only work if I had all of Sunday open. 2.5 hour drive makes it just out of the easy range. But if anyone in Duluth wanted to be serious, that is the closest big ifpa league!
    Week 3 went pretty well. I had 5 games running, many canceled but the 4 of us still managed to play for almost 3 hours. we need to start playing for money My neighbor kept saying he wasn't good, but winning hahaha.

The 4th Sunday of the month event isn't a league actually. It's just a regular tournament that you can show up to 1 time and still receive IFPA points. Heck, even without the points, it's a great event just for the fun and the social aspect. Since I have to drive from Sartell (which is only 1.5 hr vs your 2.5), I couldn’t commit to a regular league either. But I like being able to play occasionally when it fits my schedule.

I love the Duluth updates, and didn't mean to hijack the thread. Once you get into fall and if you can keep this going regularly, I'd love to drive up and play with you guys sometime. Sounds like fun. It will surely grow if you keep pushing it.

9 months later
    #27 6 years ago

How is the Duluth pinball scene going these days?

#29 6 years ago

Thanks for the update. Sounds like we’re in similar territory. I have a group of about 4-6 guys that are “sort of” interested in doing something more competitive. I’m moving to a new house in 3 weeks and this should allow me to expand my collection and also have a dedicated gameroom where the wife won’t be so upset if we take over 1 night a week for some type of league.

Breakshot definitely sounds like a great game. And Baywatch is also on my list to acquire hopefully later this year.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Oh that is awesome! Congrats on the new house
    Do you run a weekly “play/league” night now?
    My wife and I have a new baby and she encourages me to have league but we keep it 7-9pm on Wednesday. Baby starts going to bed about 9-10pm so it works prettt well. Also I can get the dog and dinner ready between 5-7. Guys usually show up 7-7:30. But the game room is just the basement living room so with more than 1 game you can hear it in the whole house, that’s one bad thing.
    Having a dedicated game room will be amazing for league! Hmmm maybe I’ll work on match play more so I can give you a heads up. Be nice to have a circle of people to talk to about leagues our size and what works etc.
    Dollar games and “golf” have been the biggest hits

The only thing we have done so far is have some casual get together for play. Nothing competitive yet, but that has always been my goal. And it should develop into some type of league (even if only casual) this summer. I’m thinking fairly simple to start, like a 6-7 week league with points awarded and some type of trophy/prize at the end. Maybe allow people to miss 1 or 2 weeks and take top 5 results. I think that some type match play is what I’m shooting.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

I am no where near MN, but I think it is so awesome that you guys are giving this a go. We had some great people on my side of the US do the same thing. It took them years, but it has grown from about what you guys have now, to 4-5 leagues of 15-20 people each with a great community.
    That kind of thing starts with people just like you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. If I lived closer to Minneapolis/St Paul, I would just participate in one of the great leagues already established. But there is a void in central MN with absolutely zero location play within almost 90 minutes of me. I would like to see that change also, but don’t have much control over that. Considered even approaching a couple of local bars and such to see if I could place a couple games, but realized quickly that I’m just way too busy with my real job to take this on.

3 years later
    #44 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

My first time running a tournament so it may suck or it may go off without a hitch. Learning and growing experience!

Good luck. It can be a grind at first because you never know what the turnout will be. But I’ve been running them in St Cloud since early 2020 (Covid shut then down for a short while). It’s rewarding to see the scene grow. We had 17 people a couple weeks ago when our average was typically in the 6-8 range.

I’d be happy to talk you through any hurdles or questions you might have along the way. Just send me a PM if interested.

Also too bad there aren’t any places on the MN side. With District 82 over in Green Bay churning out tons of WPPR points at all of their events, you most likely won’t get the point chasers at your site trying to make the year end state tourney. But if you focus on fun, you’ll see the crowds build I believe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duluth-mn-superior-wi-pinball-league?tu=pinzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.