4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tommy-dog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Working on a CV PF that has a few slightly raised inserts. To dull a PF before clearing I usually use scotchbrite pads to give the clear some teeth. On this one I'm thinking of trying a liquid approach to dulling the clear so the new clearcoat sticks. Any recomendations? Rubbing alcohol? I thought of magic erasers but I don't want to get white residue in the fracture cracks, looking for some ideas, TIA

#2 4 years ago

Use the scotchbrite , you want the surface scuffed to ensure proper adhesion.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

.. To dull a PF before clearing I usually use scotchbrite pads to give the clear some teeth. On this one I'm thinking of trying a liquid approach to dulling the clear so the new clearcoat sticks...

Stick with the mechanical adhesion. Do not use an adhesion promoter (like Bulldog). Just use a red scuff pad to achieve a good mechanical adhesion bond. Also I would hand sand out the shooter lane and the other bare wood areas. Make sure your inserts are solid and address the ones that might have issues. Blow off the dust with your blow gun. Then wipe is down with a pre-cleano (silicon wax removal solvent), this is the better version of naphtha. Tack it down and then shoot your tack coat of clear. A tack coat of clear is your initial thin first coat or what I call a bonding coat. Follow your flash times of the clear you are using. After the flash time, come back with a thicker (hammer) coat of clear.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dulling-a-playfield-before-clearcoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.