• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7603688_1.jpg
faulty bridge rectifier (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

I'm in the process of converting my Bally Star Trek to all LED lighting.
I've done all the GI lights and will be fitting Yoppscile LEDs under the playfield, but behind the backglass for the controlled lights I want to use the baynet LEDs and solder 470 ohm resistors across the sockets.

I did a test on the double bulb 'High Score to Date' and 'Game over lights' and with a 470 ohm resistor fitted it reduces flicker, but doesn't make it completely go away, changing to a 220 ohm resistor was no better, so for now have removed the resistors and put back in the incandescent bulbs which when they light up are very dull.
I've repinned the connectors to the lights and on my rectifier board and replaced the old tarnished fuses with new fuses.
My lamp board is still the original Bally board and I can see some of the MCR106 SCRs have corrosion damage on them from a leaking battery in the past.

I have tried to test the SCRs using my diode tester on my meterand ever single SCR gave a similar reading which was well out of range for what Pinwiki tells me I should get. So either all my SCRs are failing or my meter is not right.

Would I be correct in assuming that the dull incandescent bulbs and flickering LEDs that can't be fixed by fitting a resistor is likely due to the SCR failing as long as I know all the rest of the wiring is good?
I'm just debating on weather to buy a stack of MCR106-6 and 2N5060 to replace on any light that the 470 ohm resistor doesn't fix the flickering issue or is there something else I should also be looking at?

Yes I could just buy a modern light board, but would rather keep the original board if I can.

Thanks for your help.

#2 11 months ago

Others can chime in here, but I don't think the SCRs/MCRs slowly fail - they act as a switch that turns on the bulb by completing the path to ground and either they work or they don't.

Flicker is usually due to bad connections/ground - it could be the actual sockets, they're notorious for that.

Have you tried a higher ohm resistor?

#3 11 months ago

No only a 470 ohm and then a 220 ohm when the 470 ohm didn't get rid of the flicker.
I would of thought a higher ohm resistor would be worse as it would give even less current draw.
I've not tried cleaning the light sockets but all the GI lights are fine, I've only got really dull incandescent bulbs on the controlled ones on the backboard, other than 3 sockets under the playfield that were completely shot and didn't work at all, all the others have been fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to install a few of the Yoppsicle LEDs under the playfield and see if they work as intended or also give me flickering.
Just about everything else on this machine has needed some TLC and I've not given any to the light board yet so it is probably due some.

#4 11 months ago

Wait - you're trying to eliminate the flicker when the lights are OFF, correct? You're getting bleed through from the supply voltage?

Or are they flickering when they're supposed to be ON?

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from tmuir:

Would I be correct in assuming that the dull incandescent bulbs and flickering LEDs that can't be fixed by fitting a resistor is likely due to the SCR failing as long as I know all the rest of the wiring is good?

60 odd SCRs going bad? No.
What you describe sounds like a BR1 bridge rectifier failure on the rectifier board resulting in the feature light power being half what it should be. Incandescents will be dim and the half DC rectification will cause LEDs to flicker more than usual.
Measure test point TP1 on the rectifier board. If it's in the 3 volt range instead of 6 volts it needs attention.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

60 odd SCRs going bad? No.
What you describe sounds like a BR1 bridge rectifier failure on the rectifier board resulting in the feature light power being half what it should be. .

Thank you, you were spot on. Measured around 3vDC with my meter and when I dragged out my scope it gave a perfect example of half wave rectification, looks like time for some repair work on the rectifier board.

faulty bridge rectifier (resized).jpgfaulty bridge rectifier (resized).jpg
#7 10 months ago

Damn i love threads like this. Bam, fixed.

Sometimes I feel like a caveman groping around in the dark for answers while other people are petting a cat on their lap like some Bond villain, moving chess pieces around a board. Quench, you've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

I got an electronics degree about 15 years ago but never used it (i've been in logistics my whole life), then I see a pic of a scope or something and the cobwebs clear for a moment, but I really get a kick out of these repair threads and seeing the replies and suggestions of people that REALLY know what they're talking about.

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from tmuir:

I dragged out my scope it gave a perfect example of half wave rectification

For the benefit of others, this is what it should normally look like out of the bridge rectifier with no dead flat spots:
@pinzrfun, you're too kind

Pinside_forum_7603688_1.jpgPinside_forum_7603688_1.jpg

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

For the benefit of others, this is what it should normally look like out of the bridge rectifier with no dead flat spots:
pinzrfun, you're too kind
[quoted image]

That's awesome!

And thank you for following up and posting the solution -

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dull-incandescent-bulbs-and-flickering-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.