Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EB42D149-7EA8-4397-8610-F72FC9D18DD3.gif
    064A877C-5FF7-41E6-B735-BD483EA44353 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.56.09 AM (resized).png
    2EEB65F8-8B10-459C-98D1-C83469C63D32.gif
    Unbenannt (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).jpg
    002 (resized).jpg
    003 (resized).jpg
    004 (resized).jpg
    005 (resized).jpg
    006 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi
    Just for fun I watch the PINSIDE-Login-Streak-Ranking (of course me I'm not listed) and I found out that some dubious or STRANGER THINGS are ongoing there. He who doesn't know the feature, you can find it at the lower right side of the Community-Mainpage "What's new"
    Every now and then I saved some screen-shots and here are the results.

Some time ago some noticed a "bug" in those charts and it seems to strike again.
    NOTE - this ain't by any means an offence to that account. It just seems to be "bugged" and it ain't fair to the Pinsiders at the top (some of them surely care about it, while others won't)

The bugged account comes from New Zealand so maybe it has something to do with a complete different time-zone.

Nevertheless the Pinside-Staff should take a look at it.

006 (resized).jpg006 (resized).jpg005 (resized).jpg005 (resized).jpg004 (resized).jpg004 (resized).jpg003 (resized).jpg003 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Certainly looks odd, some getting 1-3 points out of nowhere considering you can only get 1 pt. per/day.

#3 4 years ago

Maybe logins from beta.pinside.com and being added with logins from the normal site. No effin' clue.
    I honestly didn't even know this was a thing. Hell, other than the screenshots above, I don't even know how to access that info.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I honestly didn't even know this was a thing. Hell, other than the screenshots above, I don't even know how to access that info.

Go to the Community section click on and scroll down, you'll see it all there.

#5 4 years ago

Just found this toppic written 2 years ago -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/login-streak-canceling-bug

#6 4 years ago

what in the hell is this even about? Totally lost. Who would login and relogin to pinside?

#7 4 years ago

I stay logged in. So I'm not in the running.

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago

exactly - why would you log out of pinside if you plan on using it?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Who would login and relogin to pinside?

Some people log in when they visit Pinside and log out when they leave. Who knows why ? Maybe force of habit from other internet things like banking or paying bills. Or they don't visit that often. Maybe their browser logs them out ?

I stay logged in because a long time back I had trouble logging in because of Google accounts, and Pinside Dear Lloyd column. So I just stay logged in to avoid the hassle.

LTG : )

#10 4 years ago

I haven’t logged out more than once or twice in 5 plus years. Not sure how this is tracked either.

#11 4 years ago

Very easy - you have to lock in every 24 hours - if you do not your ranking starts again from zero.
    But you can get only 1 point every day (as described on the community page)
    This should have nothing to do with the fact if you are automatically logged in when you start your computer or if you log in manually, it's the visit on each day that counts.
    The trouble is that one guy obviously gets more than 1 point per day.

#12 4 years ago

Easy, log in from cell or mobil device. Then log in from a desktop....this is a guess, but logging in from two different IP addresses.

#13 4 years ago

Had no clue about this stat either. Man I need to get a life. Haha

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Had no clue about this stat either. Man I need to get a life. Haha

Yes, your on the list Chuck.

#15 4 years ago

Unbenannt (resized).jpgUnbenannt (resized).jpg

You must visit PINSIDE in a range of exactly 24hrs.

I watched it (and I'm automatically logged-in) and when I shut off my Computer at, say, 9am and visit Pinside the next day at say 9.10 am the ranking starts again from zero.
    I never log out but this doesn't count at all if you're not visiting the site each day.

#16 4 years ago

Not sure what happened to me? I was at the top as I haven't logged out since I joined but apparently it started over a few months ago? That sucks but it's not a big deal .

#17 4 years ago

I'm not really sure what this means. I don’t think my devices ever log me out, I haven't typed in a password in forever. I am on pinside most days, but not every day.

#18 4 years ago

I had my 1st vacation in over a decade. I was in the top 10 but now my login streak is back down to a couple days.

Glad to be back, but didn’t miss it while I was gone. Made some great memories with my family.

#19 4 years ago

Yikes some people need something to do in life.

#20 4 years ago

All you have to do is visit the forums. You don't have to logout/login.

#21 4 years ago

lol!

That’s pretty funny.

I read Pinside every day on my iPhone. The same iPhone every day. I don’t even post that much anymore.

Last time I looked at that stats page was months ago ... I was like 1 “day” behind making the list. It has been like that for a long time ... I was always a day or two or three behind making that list.

I have no idea why I jumped up the list - and I don’t really care, to be honest!

Maybe Robin should delete it and be done with it. I don’t think it matters to anyone?

But then what would you have to study?

rd

#22 4 years ago

Hey, you found my thread!

I supposedly might be one of the most knowledgeable on this topic. After discussed it with Robin quite a bit in PM, I was able to figure out that Pinside code runs based on his time zone. That may sound like a no-brainer, but that’s precisely why it was an issue.The 24-hour window to login was actually from 0:00-23:59 CET. So you must login once every 24hour window in the CET timezone.
    If you logged in at 1am EST Thursday 2/6 (6am CET Thurs 2/6), and then you logged in at 11:30pm EST Friday 2/7(5am CET Sat 2/8) you would lose your streak because even though you technically logged in yesterday and today (Thursday and Friday) in CET you logged in early-morning Thursday and then by waiting till late Friday night EST that was actually Saturday morning CET.
    The simple version? He’s a few hours ahead of us so basically the day comes “early”
    Anyway that was a crazy issue to finally fix and what happened was he ended up amending it to give larger grace periods to account for timezone differences. With this addition many many folks who probably never noticed started gaining large login-streaks.

Another note, it is not based on “login/logout” you actually simply need to just have a Pinside page open once a day really. And it has to be an active session.
    If I simply opened Pinside and refreshed the homepage every single day and nothing more, that would still count me as logging in that day. It doesn’t even need to be a recorded action that shows up on pulse and it will count.

Now some background: When I first got into pinball, Pinside was my start and I’ve basically been addicted every since. I hardly ever missed a day. I was using several other social networking apps that required you to “collect your streak” everyday and they all had flaws and such. I also used to play Ingress every day for 2 years or so

Anyway, so I was a bit obsessive about login streaks at the time and I noticed I would get to around ~70 ~100 ~150 days
    on Pinside and it kept resetting. I was getting very annoyed. I checked religiously and yet my streak kept resetting. This caused me to investigate deeper, and I eventually figured it out.

Another interesting bug had to do with database and the fact that the Pinsider user IDs had grown so massive there were more than Robin even initially though would use his site! So he had to extend the upper limit to account for this and future growth!

With the bug chasing credentials out of the way, let’s try looking into what’s causing this. I had noticed there was a bunch of weird changes to the “login streak” scoreboard and it was odd because for years beforehand it never changed much. You can’t gain points. You basically have to have been an addict since he started keeping track.

I wasn’t as proactive as you to take screenshots and keep track of the charts every few days to see how they’ve changed. Without diving too deeply I am curious if this is possibly an issue with how the site orders the list of “highest streak” perhaps it has grown to such absurd numbers it is no longer ordering them properly?
    The other guess would be that perhaps the earlier suggestions of the beta site could, in fact, add to your streak. I can test this theory real quickly and report back.

I appreciate your dedication in logging this bug! It’s hard to track it without the proof since there isn’t a “historical stats” function.

#23 4 years ago

Of course Rotordave won't be pleased by that and it's OK by any means.
    I did not want to accuse anyone of cheating, and that's why I wrote "technical accident, failure "OR" a funny game"
    I do not know dcfan or any of the other 'leaders' and would have written the same if Rotordave would be the "leader" too.
    Just for fun, as I said, I watched this quite some time and it really looked odd, so why not make it public.
    So once more - there was no intention to hurt Rotordave.
    On the other hand, I'm obviously not the only one who likes to study that, so there is no need to laughing out loud at this, too.
    Regarding that I'd like to say we're straight and everything should be cool, OK?

And thanks a lot @Isochronic_Frost, who also has nothing to study like it seems.

#24 4 years ago

I think the login streak is a cool and fun feature and I know MANY people track it. Even those who say they don’t

But I’m not sure how this bug can still be here as I was pretty sure this was fixed once and for all after my extensive troubleshooting with Isochronic_Frost - I also believe this is no longer connected to your timezone but it’s been a while.

Anyways, I’ll take another look at it!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I think the login streak is a cool and fun feature and I know MANY people track it. Even those who say they don’t
    But I’m not sure how this bug can still be here as I was pretty sure this was fixed once and for all after my extensive troubleshooting with isochronic_frost - I also believe this is no longer connected to your timezone but it’s been a while.
    Anyways, I’ll take another look at it!

Just for reference I tested it and it didn’t increase my streak at all to open a beta session and sign in.

I don’t really understand how it could be giving people an extra day/point. I assume the ranking allows people with an identical login count to be displayed higher or lower based on who logs in first for the next day. So maybe that’s why we see some folks swapping positions back and forth. But I see some folks are climbing in the ranking which should be impossible. How could they get extra days?

#26 4 years ago

I completely changed the toppic and removed the things I thought were just funny.
    So please RD accept it as an act of peace.

Cheers

#27 4 years ago

Please, by all means, take it @rotordave!

I have always wanted to be the best at something... just not sure obsessively reading about pinball machines on a daily basis will sound good on my obituary.

But... this is the only source of news I can deal with these days, so I won’t stop reading every day. If it eventually makes me king nerd for a few weeks so be it

#28 4 years ago

In the western US, back in the day there was a way to deal with cheats and people of questionable motive. Matters were settled within the day and for good. Today such matters are settled with gifs.

2EEB65F8-8B10-459C-98D1-C83469C63D32.gif2EEB65F8-8B10-459C-98D1-C83469C63D32.gif
    2 weeks later
    #29 4 years ago

I had some time to spend on this issue today and have decided to rewrite the mechanism that calculates login streak.

The way it used to work is that each time you visit the site (as a logged in Pinsider), the system would check when was the last time you visited the site. If that was more than 24 hours, it would reset your streak to 1. If it was less than 24 hours, it would proceed to check if you already got a 1 point streak increase for today. If not, it would increase your streak by one. Theoretically this would work fine, but I assume different timezones were messing things up.

The rewrite of this code introduces a much, much simpler, once-a-day, system job that checks the "last seen" time for all Pinsiders and then increases the login streak by +1 for all who were "seen" in the past 24 hours. Everyone else will have their streak reset to 1.

Hopefully that will solve this once and for all!

I have stopped the old streak counter process and will start the new process tomorrow (24 hours from now).

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In the western US, back in the day there was a way to deal with cheats and people of questionable motive. Matters were settled within the day and for good. Today such matters are settled with gifs.[quoted image]

This post aged pretty well

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have stopped the old streak counter process and will start the new process tomorrow (24 hours from now).

oh no! Does this mean the current streak "champions" will be lost? I like being a "winner" .

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.56.09 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.56.09 AM (resized).png
    #32 4 years ago

The current streak will remain. I thought about starting over fresh but honestly, that would kinda suck.

And although I can't fix the past inconsistencies in the scores, which may have lead to some wrong numbers (that would be way too time consuming) - after quickly checking the top 25, the Pinsiders up there are pretty much valid give or take a few days where the system flunked due to timezone differences.

So all the numbers are on pause now and tomorrow at 13:00 (Amsterdam time) everyone who was seen in the past 24 hours (at that time) will get +1. Everyone else will be reset to 1.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

oh no! Does this mean the current streak "champions" will be lost? I like being a "winner" .[quoted image]

064A877C-5FF7-41E6-B735-BD483EA44353 (resized).jpeg064A877C-5FF7-41E6-B735-BD483EA44353 (resized).jpegEB42D149-7EA8-4397-8610-F72FC9D18DD3.gifEB42D149-7EA8-4397-8610-F72FC9D18DD3.gif

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dubious-or-stranger-things-going-on-at-pinside-login-streak-ranking?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.