(Topic ID: 10319)

Dual butterfly trip

By pinballslave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apo.gif
    IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    papillon.jpg
    Papillon_pf_lower.jpg
    Two_Papillons_in_Toyota.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Just thought I'd share my amazement at just coming back from a business trip and managing to get a complete Papillon (by a Spanish company) PLUS, from a completely different seller in another country, the backglass from the French version of a game with the same name, and amazingly similar backglass artwork (but completely different playfield).

The co-incidence is kind of shocking in a way... The seller of the French glass was taken aback a bit when I opened the rear door of my car to put the glass in when she was confronted with this 'alternate version' of what looked like the same game... plus the car stacked to the roof with pinballs managed to squeese 4 games in this Toyota Granvia on this trip!! (and still have a passenger seat).

there are no images of the Spanish version anywhere I can find on the net, and the IPDB doesn't even mention the game... so you see it first on Pinside

I'll be uploading all the images I have for the Spanish game to the IPDB as soon as I get them to make a page for it, and also to pinside... the playfield is kind of something special

Two_Papillons_in_Toyota.jpgTwo_Papillons_in_Toyota.jpg

The French one is on the right, and the Spanish one on the left by the way...

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Makes you wonder just how many titles are out there and are not listed anywhere.

I bet there's 100s to be honest... The Spanish were very prolific in the 80's I think, and a lot of stuff that got made was kept in Spain... and with all that hot Spanish blood influencing the artwork, there's some interesting stuff to be discovered!

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

But the scoring displays don't line up, so you won't be able to use it in your game

I'm not planning to... the French one is just for gameroom decoration... I'll use the Spanish one in my game (since it's the Spanish game). Also, the French one won't fit in the head of the Spanish game because it's a completely different size

#8 12 years ago

Here's a pic of the main artwork of the Spanish version playfield... you see it first on Pinside

I could hold a competition for best quote of what the guy's thinking

Papillon_pf_lower.jpgPapillon_pf_lower.jpg

#10 12 years ago

Interesting romor Destruk... I'll have to ask my Spanish contact if he's heard this too...

This game is by Videodens... The French one is by Jeutel by the way...

#13 12 years ago

As an interesting point, the playfield is covered with a plastic sheet about 4mm (1/8inch) thick, a bit like on Electra, but half as thick... The small dot in front of the woman's ribs is actually a matal clamp that fixes this plastic sheet to the playfield (to stop it bowing up in the middle). The problem is, if dirt gets between this plastic sheet and the playfield, it's a headhache to clean out (and this has happened at the edges)... Must check underneath and see if that clamp is pulled down by a nut or if it's a kind of rivet!!

Also, where you normally get obvious lens inserts, on this the lenses appears to be part of the artwork... like the green triangles pointing at the left standups, and the 5 blue rectangles on the entry to the left lane...

And a final bit of trivia; Papillon is French for Butterfly... but the Spanish is Mariposa (apparently!)... so clearly the Spanish stole the game and backglass artwork from the French and couldn't be bothered to change the game name to their own language

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Just let me know which games to add and I'll make database entries.

You already created a page for this game Robin after I sent you the basic info on it before I got hold of it... I'll also upload more pics when I have time...

Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:pinballslave, I created an Avatar for you, hope you like!

That's very kind of you CFF, I like it and may try it for size later The Seawitch lady of your av is one of my favourite playfield women, I have this playfield decorating part of my store... she's hot... as drawings go!

Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

You dropped a bomb on me, baby..

I'm perplexed at what this vid might be of... shame I can't see it now... I've a very strict firewall at work

2 weeks later
    #23 12 years ago

That's amazing LorenZ, really nice to see... now I want to track a copy of this album down just to have the artwork to o with the glass and the other game... and to hear the music of course, even if it's rubbish!

By the way, is there any connection between the album and the pinball name Papillon, apart from the central kissing figures looking like a butterfly that is...?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dual-butterfly-trip?tu=pinballslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.