(Topic ID: 74532)

Dr.Who Time Expander loose and wobbly fix?

By Hazoff

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPF_Side_Drawing.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My time expander seems awfully wobbly and loose, I can't find any screws that are loose and was wondering if any owners know a fix for this? It works fully and does not really affect the gameplay but I like everything to work perfect. Let me know. Thanks

#2 10 years ago

there is certainly some slop in the mech so not sure you have a problem and frankly may create one if you eliminate it. If playing 100% and no sign of anything being loose I'd leave it alone.

#3 10 years ago

Mine is the same way, I think it's normal... but, mine has definitely had quite a few plays on it.

#4 10 years ago

This is quite common and the degree of wobble can vary depending upon machine. A video of the action would be helpful to confirm.

There are ways to adjust but it may be more trouble than it's worth. Pulling the MPF is a little tricky until you learn how it works. Then, it's not bad at all. This may help: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwaW5iYWxsZmF6fGd4OjVlYmVlYzE5OTA0MWNlZmQ

The elevator brackets are the influencer of the wobble. It can develop slop by slowly warping / spreading apart over years of stuck balls. As the roller goes up and down the bracket there's room to shimmy. This can be tightened up with a C-Clamp. If it's warped (I've seen some pretzels out there), you need to true it up.

The most likely cause of the wobble is the rotating cam over extending the travel of the bracket. This is trickier as you need to affect the stroke of the cam. Shims at the motor mount to push it farther away from the bracket; this extends the rotation of travel down...thus, reducing the extent of the 'hump'; the bracket must be shimmed at the top of the MPF as well otherwise the MPF will sink below the PF. I've not had to do this myself, but I think I helped someone through this fix a few years ago...I can't find the community post...so, I think this was done over a series of PMs...(we were guessing at the time).

Here's a drawing that shows a good view of the brackets/motor mount.

Post a video of the action on youtube.

Good luck!
faz

MPF_Side_Drawing.jpgMPF_Side_Drawing.jpg
#5 10 years ago

Mine is wobbly as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drwho-time-expander-loose-and-wobbly-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.