(Topic ID: 241338)

Drops won’t stop resetting (GTB Atlantis)

By goldenboy232

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5F8DBA17-8F6E-494E-9677-96EA21AAD37F (resized).jpeg
276B6ECC-BC28-4249-BD22-9DC635E6D89A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

After a couple of years of working perfectly my Atlantis suddenly has decided that it won’t reset the Drop Target bank correctly.

Once all targets are down, it either continually tries to reset (targets going up and down and scoring but never stopping) or else it will eventually reset with only maybe 1-2 targets at one end resetting

I am assuming this is mechanical and not electrical? And my guess is it’s the two coils that move the reset bar (?). But no idea how to adjust them if they’re the problem and, if so, which direction to reposition then into after loosening the four screws that old each in place.

Help please.

#3 5 years ago

Fine from what I can tells — feels firm and doesn’t wobble or anything. Seems to be welded to the lift bar well.

276B6ECC-BC28-4249-BD22-9DC635E6D89A (resized).jpeg276B6ECC-BC28-4249-BD22-9DC635E6D89A (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Try manually actuating the solenoids (with your hands) to reset the bank. With the game unplugged from the wall, pull both plungers at the same time. Doing this by hand will help reveal what is going wrong.
This excellent tip at Mr. Pinball explains how to get this target bank reset mechanism adjusted correctly: https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0435.html

So I have followed that protocol and if the playfield is up in the full upright service position, the bank does reset. If it’s down even slightly at an angle – much less flat in the play position – it will not reset. I noticed that if I manually reset one of the targets while the whole bank is hopping up-and-down trying to reset, that’s enough to allow the whole thing to reset.

It’s gotta be mechanical and maybe I just need to adjust those banks more. I’m tempted to just take a Saturday morning soon and take the whole bank apart and reclean it and put it back together.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

A few other things to look at:
Reseat the jones plugs at the rear of the cabinet. Insert and remove them several times.
Score motor switch 2C (look for the blue plastic wire) might have accreted enough oxidation or suffered enough pitting that it is unable to provide enough juice to push up all the targets. Have a look and—if necessary—clean, adjust, and redress it.

Thanks I’ll check all of the above. I also noticed one of these rubber stops came off. Is this critical and does Steve stock them? How doe they reattach?

5F8DBA17-8F6E-494E-9677-96EA21AAD37F (resized).jpeg5F8DBA17-8F6E-494E-9677-96EA21AAD37F (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

One other point —in case this helps with the diagnosis overall – is that the game seems to have no problem fully re-setting the drop targets when I start a new game.

Seems like 100% of the time it resets correctly then.

It’s just when it tries to reset mid-game after all the drops are down that the problem happens.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I knew I should have asked this question earlier!
The problem is most likely on the G relay. Look for the large contact with two plastic wires connected to it. One wire is blue, the other is yellow. The contact that bridges them needs help.

Ok I'll take a look! I won't have a chance until tomorrow but will report back as soon as I can.

2 weeks later
#13 4 years ago

Here's an update video. Any additional thoughts/ideas/help would be appreciated.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

That flutter/hesitation is very curious. I wonder if there isn’t a short somewhere. You can see the reset arm pulling in feebly a second time at 0:44. That doesn’t look like it’s coming from score motor switch 2C.

There are two other motor switches involved — 2B is the G lock-in switch. And then 3D — the manual says it completes the circuit to G relay?

I will have to go back and look at the G relay again. I THINK it’s making tightly but I can adjust it closer.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

Hi had the same problem on my big shot drop targets on the right side bank, just didn't seem to be enough power to reset them. After a day looking at it I found the problem. There are 2 fuses that are for the bank reset, when I looked at both fuses they looked ok but when I took them both out and checked them with a dmm one fuse was dead replaced the fuse and couldn't believe it was just the fuse. Target bank fuses should be 2amp slo-blo but check first.

Thanks Raff — I’ll check that too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drops-wont-stop-resetting-gtb-atlantis?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.