(Topic ID: 241338)

Drops won’t stop resetting (GTB Atlantis)

By goldenboy232

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by goldenboy232
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5F8DBA17-8F6E-494E-9677-96EA21AAD37F (resized).jpeg
276B6ECC-BC28-4249-BD22-9DC635E6D89A (resized).jpeg

#1 11 months ago

After a couple of years of working perfectly my Atlantis suddenly has decided that it won’t reset the Drop Target bank correctly.

Once all targets are down, it either continually tries to reset (targets going up and down and scoring but never stopping) or else it will eventually reset with only maybe 1-2 targets at one end resetting

I am assuming this is mechanical and not electrical? And my guess is it’s the two coils that move the reset bar (?). But no idea how to adjust them if they’re the problem and, if so, which direction to reposition then into after loosening the four screws that old each in place.

Help please.

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

After a couple of years of working perfectly my Atlantis suddenly has decided that it won’t reset the Drop Target bank correctly.
Once all targets are down, it either continually tries to reset (targets going up and down and scoring but never stopping) or else it will eventually reset with only maybe 1-2 targets at one end resetting
I am assuming this is mechanical and not electrical? And my guess is it’s the two coils that move the reset bar (?). But no idea how to adjust them if they’re the problem and, if so, which direction to reposition then into after loosening the four screws that old each in place.
Help please.

How does the reset bar look? It has a U-shaped lifter that is spot-welded to the bar. Those spot welds sometimes break.

#3 11 months ago

Fine from what I can tells — feels firm and doesn’t wobble or anything. Seems to be welded to the lift bar well.

276B6ECC-BC28-4249-BD22-9DC635E6D89A (resized).jpeg
#4 11 months ago

Try manually actuating the solenoids (with your hands) to reset the bank. With the game unplugged from the wall, pull both plungers at the same time. Doing this by hand will help reveal what is going wrong.

This excellent tip at Mr. Pinball explains how to get this target bank reset mechanism adjusted correctly: https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0435.html

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Try manually actuating the solenoids (with your hands) to reset the bank. With the game unplugged from the wall, pull both plungers at the same time. Doing this by hand will help reveal what is going wrong.
This excellent tip at Mr. Pinball explains how to get this target bank reset mechanism adjusted correctly: https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0435.html

So I have followed that protocol and if the playfield is up in the full upright service position, the bank does reset. If it’s down even slightly at an angle – much less flat in the play position – it will not reset. I noticed that if I manually reset one of the targets while the whole bank is hopping up-and-down trying to reset, that’s enough to allow the whole thing to reset.

It’s gotta be mechanical and maybe I just need to adjust those banks more. I’m tempted to just take a Saturday morning soon and take the whole bank apart and reclean it and put it back together.

#6 11 months ago

A few other things to look at:

Reseat the jones plugs at the rear of the cabinet. Insert and remove them several times.

Score motor switch 2C (look for the blue plastic wire) might have accreted enough oxidation or suffered enough pitting that it is unable to provide enough juice to push up all the targets. Have a look and—if necessary—clean, adjust, and redress it.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

A few other things to look at:
Reseat the jones plugs at the rear of the cabinet. Insert and remove them several times.
Score motor switch 2C (look for the blue plastic wire) might have accreted enough oxidation or suffered enough pitting that it is unable to provide enough juice to push up all the targets. Have a look and—if necessary—clean, adjust, and redress it.

Thanks I’ll check all of the above. I also noticed one of these rubber stops came off. Is this critical and does Steve stock them? How doe they reattach?

5F8DBA17-8F6E-494E-9677-96EA21AAD37F (resized).jpeg
#8 11 months ago

One other point —in case this helps with the diagnosis overall – is that the game seems to have no problem fully re-setting the drop targets when I start a new game.

Seems like 100% of the time it resets correctly then.

It’s just when it tries to reset mid-game after all the drops are down that the problem happens.

#9 11 months ago

I had the same problem several years ago on an Atlantis. Cleaned a switch on the left lower side of the score motor that was arcing badly. Leckmeck points out 2c which was probably the switch I cleaned.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

One other point —in case this helps with the diagnosis overall – is that the game seems to have no problem fully re-setting the drop targets when I start a new game.
Seems like 100% of the time it resets correctly then.
It’s just when it tries to reset mid-game after all the drops are down that the problem happens.

I knew I should have asked this question earlier!

The problem is most likely on the G relay. Look for the large contact with two plastic wires connected to it. One wire is blue, the other is yellow. The contact that bridges them needs help.

#11 11 months ago

PBR sell that rubber bumper. The part number is GTB-986. If the rest of the drop targets still have their bumper, you should be fine. When they’re ALL gone is when the trouble begins.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I knew I should have asked this question earlier!
The problem is most likely on the G relay. Look for the large contact with two plastic wires connected to it. One wire is blue, the other is yellow. The contact that bridges them needs help.

Ok I'll take a look! I won't have a chance until tomorrow but will report back as soon as I can.

2 weeks later
#13 10 months ago

Here's an update video. Any additional thoughts/ideas/help would be appreciated.

#14 10 months ago

What did the switch on the G relay look like? When the relay engages, is it making (closing) tightly? Are either of the contact’s surfaces pitted at all? Do you see a spark on this switch when the drop targets reset?

#15 10 months ago

That flutter/hesitation is very curious. I wonder if there isn’t a short somewhere. You can see the reset arm pulling in feebly a second time at 0:44. That doesn’t look like it’s coming from score motor switch 2C.

#16 10 months ago

I don’t have much experience troubleshooting pins, and I don’t have an Atlantis or the schematics for it, but I’m going to throw my hat in the ring here. If you have a reset target bank relay, I think there should be a normally open contact on that relay that is used as a holding contact. I would guess that is is fed from the score motor (2B maybe?). That’s where I’d look next, the holding contact and 2B (or not 2B).

#17 10 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

That flutter/hesitation is very curious. I wonder if there isn’t a short somewhere. You can see the reset arm pulling in feebly a second time at 0:44. That doesn’t look like it’s coming from score motor switch 2C.

There are two other motor switches involved — 2B is the G lock-in switch. And then 3D — the manual says it completes the circuit to G relay?

I will have to go back and look at the G relay again. I THINK it’s making tightly but I can adjust it closer.

#18 10 months ago

Hi had the same problem on my big shot drop targets on the right side bank, just didn't seem to be enough power to reset them. After a day looking at it I found the problem. There are 2 fuses that are for the bank reset, when I looked at both fuses they looked ok but when I took them both out and checked them with a dmm one fuse was dead replaced the fuse and couldn't believe it was just the fuse. Target bank fuses should be 2amp slo-blo but check first.

#19 10 months ago
Quoted from Raff:

Hi had the same problem on my big shot drop targets on the right side bank, just didn't seem to be enough power to reset them. After a day looking at it I found the problem. There are 2 fuses that are for the bank reset, when I looked at both fuses they looked ok but when I took them both out and checked them with a dmm one fuse was dead replaced the fuse and couldn't believe it was just the fuse. Target bank fuses should be 2amp slo-blo but check first.

Thanks Raff — I’ll check that too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 334.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 219.99
$ 142.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 248.85
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside