• Latest reply 11 years ago by mg81
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So while setting up my first pin last night, the shrink wrap that held the head to the cabinet gaveway and the backbox came crashing to the ground. The only noticable damage I see is the plastic dome for the topper shattered but nothing else of significance. Machine starts up and still plays great, No DMD issues and Topper still works. Since I have very limited knowledge on this subject, any recommendations on other things to check after this incident would be appreciated.

ps: I will use straps to hold the backbox down for now on.

Thanks for your time.

- Mike

#2 11 years ago

Sorry to hear that, could have been worse.
Live and learn.

What pin are we talking about?

#3 11 years ago

FT... I did notice that a couple of the bulbs went out on topper and head, but easily replaced.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Here is a the replacement shell for the topper:

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/fisht.html

#5 11 years ago

I'd make sure no connections jarred loose but it sounds like you've got away with it. Check J120 is good and tight because FT burns the GI connector more than I burn toast.

And that's a lot.

#6 11 years ago

I think we all have live and learn stories about our pinball machines that we could share such as yours.

Sorry to hear, but the main thing is it sounds like no big damage and the plastic dome can be easily replaced. If your plastic dome was anything like mine that can on my FT, it probably needed replacing anyway.

Marco has them for $68. Easy Fix!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8653

#7 11 years ago

Agreed.... my theory is if the worst that happened on my first pinball move is that I broke a $100 plastic dome, I can live with that.

I will check the connectors in the back and make sure nothing came loose, specifically j120. Thanks for the replys.

- Mike

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

So while setting up my first pin last night, the shrink wrap that held the head to the cabinet gaveway and the backbox came crashing to the ground.

How is this possible other than wrong/not enough shrink wrap? Did it somehow catch/rip apart on something?

I will use shrinkwrap before straps anytime I can....

#9 11 years ago

I would say not enough..but I did not pack the machine up. However, regardless of how it happened and who packed it up, its a live and learn situation and was just wondering any check list suggestions I should go through after something like this.

- Mike

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

I did notice that a couple of the bulbs went out on topper and head, but easily replaced

When I first saw that pic, I didn't realize it was rotated.. I thought it had fallen over on it's side

Twice I've cut the shrink wrap without holding onto the backbox and let it slam to the ground (last time it hit my toe). As smart as some of us are, we can be really dumb (gee, what happens if I cut the one thing supporting this backbox?)

#11 11 years ago

I am not a big fan of shrink wrap. Too many people are thrifty with it and don't put on enough passes, but that is hard to tell until it gives way. Also if you are shoving the pin in and out a of a car/truck it is very easy for the bottom (hidden) side of the wrap to get torn up and you won't know it until it gives way.

You can get cheap ratchet straps for $3 each at Lowes in a four pack. Rated for 600 lbs. They are nice for $3 each.

Every fold down head pin I sell/trade comes with a "free" ratchet strap. Just put some newspaper or other padding at all of the areas where the strap will rub on the cabinet.

What I like the wrap for is when I am transporting a pin in an open bed truck and I want to keep it nice and clean. Plastic wrap is excellent for that job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dropped-backbox-oops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.