Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gjm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Towel (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I'm an EM novice. I've adjust switches, shopped games, replaced rubbers, changed coils, etc. Very basic stuff.

Long story short, I dropped a spring in the cabinet of a Fireball EM while working on the game. I've spent hours looking for the spring and cann't find it.

I'm now honestly afraid to turn on the game.

I see the playfield is only attached with one jones plug. Can I remove the playfield, turn on the game and press start with the playfield out?

I was thinking if I remove the playfield, I can first give it another good look to see if I can find the spring. Failing that, if I can start a game with the playfield out, I can see if there is an issue and quickly turn off.

That's my idea at this point. Good idea? Not good idea? Very interested to hear from a more experienced EM tech

#2 1 year ago

Removing the Playfield is probably gonna be more than one Jones plug I have four on my gottlieb‘s. That being said if you’re really concerned about the spring that’s a good way to start. If It was a gottlieb and I couldn’t find it and had another spring I would assume it’s underneath the lower mechanical board and start the game and roll the dice.

#3 1 year ago

Been there. Many times. Like Judoratt says it usually ends up under that bottom board where you can't see it. Sometimes you can get lucky by dragging a magnet under that board. If you've inspected all the relay switches and don't see anything, you are probably alright. Fuses are your friend.

#4 1 year ago

Been there more than a dozen times with a nut or washer that gets away. Unplug the machine for the wall, if not already done. Tilt the machine to one side ( to the right, or left ) and block the front and rear legs of the high side with blocks of wood. You only need to raise it like 4 or 5 inches. With the palm of your hand, pound on the bottom panel from underneath the machine. Don't pound so hard you break the board. But don't be too gentle, either. The vibrations and the tilt angle will usually allow anything hiding under the relay panel to move to the lower edge of the cabinet. Fish these out and hopefully your spring will be on of the treasures found.

#5 1 year ago

One of these is handy, under the motor board, down the drain...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0HKTG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned I used a magnet to check under the board and found another spring. LOL. Not the one I dropped. I know as it was red and mine was silver.

I'll try your approach, @jukester. Thanks. I'll also see how many plugs there are. Might still remove the playfield as well.

If this leads to nothing, I'll be doing the Vegas approach, roll the dice, and pray when I turn it on.

Maybe a dumb question, can I leave the playfield out and unplugged (from jones connectors) then turn the game on, press start and see? If all is good at this point, then attach playfield and try again?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned I used a magnet to check under the board and found another spring. LOL. Not the one I dropped. I know as it was red and mine was silver.
    I'll try your approach, Jukester. Thanks. I'll also see how many plugs there are. Might still remove the playfield as well.
    If this leads to nothing, I'll be doing the Vegas approach, roll the dice, and pray when I turn it on.
    Maybe a dumb question, can I leave the playfield out and unplugged (from jones connectors) then turn the game on, press start and see? If all is good at this point, then attach playfield and try again?

I've done it with Gottlieb's. don't see why you can't with Bally.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

I've done it with Gottlieb's. don't see why you can't with Bally.

Thanks, I've seen it done w/ Gottliebs as well which gave me the idea, but thought I should ask. I'm far from an EM expert so wanted to make sure this won't cause any issues.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

One of these is handy, under the motor board, down the drain...
    amazon.com link »

Yep.

If it still doesn’t turn up, fire the game up and live on the edge. The worst case is a game function won’t work right and then you’ll know right where to look.

#10 1 year ago

Those springs can end up stuck on a wiring harness and really tough to find sometimes.

#11 1 year ago

The mech board in Bally games is secured by 2 large screws. Remove the playfied and unplug all of the jones plugs to and from the mech board...feed the power cord back and remove the 2 screws...then lift out the mech board. It should take 15 minutes the first time..much less after that. Its much easier to inspect when out of the cabinet.

#12 1 year ago

I've had success finding the unseen using a vacuum with a piece of cheese cloth or 'donated' nylon stocking/panty hose over the hose. Crevice tool for open areas and deep recesses, soft brush attachment when hovering around mechanicals. <Unplug machine of course>

Also when inspecting a bright direct beam at a side angle can pick up out of place items better than overhead.

Cheers

Tom

#13 1 year ago

What Bonzo71 said! In the time you waste trying all of the other methods, you can have that entire cabinet emptied. I agree it will probably take you 15 minutes your first time, but once you know what your doing, you can have everything out in 5 minutes. I suggest you put a white sheet on the floor as you remove the playfield and bottom board. Give them both a good shake over the sheet.

#14 1 year ago

I've learned my lesson as well. So now I use the towel method when working on the bottom of the playfield.

Towel (resized).jpgTowel (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dropped-a-spring-in-fireball-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.