image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
20160303_125606.jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

Some drop targets on my Cueball Wizard don't register any points when you hit them and they also show up on switch test mode. What can I do to fix them? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

There could be a loose wire at one of the targets in the same row/column. Daisy chain.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

There could be a loose wire at one of the targets in the same row/column. Daisy chain.

I'll check for any loose wires. Thanks!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Do you think a loose wire at the drop targets can cause "ghost signals" and make the machine register stuff is not supposed to? Thats happening to my machine....

#5 8 years ago

No. Ghost signals come from wrong connected switches. Maybe the former owner connected a loose wire wrong. Check wires and diodes at switches for that.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

No. Ghost signals come from wrong connected switches. Maybe the former owner connected a loose wire wrong. Check wires and diodes at switches for that.

Ok maybe you can help me out here. My machine acts very strange every 3 games or so. Not all the time. Foe instance, BEFORE shooting the 5th ball, as soon as the ball is feed to the shooter's lane, the upper 8 ball playfield shoots the 8 ball while the steel ball is still sitting in the shooter's lane!

Another thing it does: again, before plunging the ball, a target will register on the display as if I hit it with the ball! And it tells me "Nice Shot" and I am like...What???? Then I just put the ball in play and everything is normal. They it won't do anything weird for 3 maybe 5 games and then it will do something crazy like that.

Do you have any idea or can you PLEASE help me diagnose the problem? Thanks

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

The thing is that the machine just barely started acting crazy. I've had it for 2 months and it was playing great before. I am really confused. All of this happenned after lifting and lowering the playfield one day.

#8 8 years ago

As far as i remember the skill shot phrase "nice shot" should not be activated by the shooter lane switch but by the first opto at the ramp.
So check the ramp optos and their connections or clean them with a q-tip if necessary.
Check also the connection to the opto board under the pf.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

..... All of this happenned after lifting and lowering the playfield one day.

Inspect the wiring up in the top corners and along the sides of the playfield - like to the previously mentioned ramp optos. These wires are easy to snag or pinch with the p/f support hardware.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

As far as i remember the skill shot phrase "nice shot" should not be activated by the shooter lane switch but by the first opto at the ramp.
So check the ramp optos and their connections or clean them with a q-tip if necessary.
Check also the connection to the opto board under the pf.

Will do thanks! Will post results tomorrow hopefully. Hope you can tell me what you think. Thanks!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Inspect the wiring up in the top corners and along the sides of the playfield - like to the previously mentioned ramp optos. These wires are easy to snag or pinch with the p/f support hardware.

Thanks!!!

#12 8 years ago

I didn't get to inspect the wires to the opto ramp last night (looks like i may have to remove the ramp to inspect them?) since it was kind of late. I will do that today.

What I did do last night was this: Put it in switch test mode. I ran my fingers through the opto at the ramp, and it show up on the display, meaning that it is working.

My question is this: Will this switch test "eliminate" the opto being at fault for sending the "ghost" signals?

OR the opto working in the switch test mode doesn't matter and a wire at the opto can still be loose/broken/pinched which is causing the "ghost" signals?

Thanks!!

#13 8 years ago

Looks like your optos are ok.
Before getting confused, turn the machine off (very important ) and reseat connectors in the backbox.
Unfortunately Gottliebs are the most complicated machines to work on.
Check out also pinwiki.com

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Looks like your optos are ok.
Before getting confused, turn the machine off (very important ) and reseat connectors in the backbox.
Unfortunately Gottliebs are the most complicated machines to work on.
Check out also pinwiki.com

I will do that and let you know. But let me ask you something. This issue with the ghost signals only happens every now and then, not every single game. You still think the opto is good?

Or a wire can still be craked or a little loose, which would maybe explain the ghost signals only happening every now and then and not every single game?

I am just thinking that if there is a loose wire but its still semi-attached to the opto assembly, maybe the ghost signals only happen when that "loose wire" moves a little bit due to vibration.

Then if the "loose wire" doesn't "move" then thats is why the game plays great for a couple of games? Hopefully I explained my self correctly. Thanks!

#15 8 years ago

And maybe the opto works great in switch test mode because that potential "loose wire" is not vibrating at the time of the switch test? What do you think?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hello,
Some drop targets on my Cueball Wizard don't register any points when you hit them and they also show up on switch test mode. What can I do to fix them? Thanks!

Your original question, are you say drop target go down and up as they are supposed to, and the show up as they should, as open and closed when in switch test? And only problem is scoring?

#17 8 years ago

To check that go into switch test and bang with your fist on the play field and look for upcoming switches.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

To check that go into switch test and bang with your fist on the play field and look for upcoming switches.

I already tried that and nothing showed up in switch test mode while hitting the playfield. I hit it hard but not extremely hard.

Should i just hit it super hard? I dont want to break something either. Or just normal banging on the playfield is enough to get a loose wire on a switch to show up?

What do you think?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Your original question, are you say drop target go down and up as they are supposed to, and the show up as they should, as open and closed when in switch test? And only problem is scoring?

No. They do go up and down, but they dont register anything when you hit them and they dont show up in switch test mode

#20 8 years ago

Also, the game tells you "you have an extra ball" while playing it. But it never gives you that extra ball....a minor issue compared to the ghost signals but i figured I better ask you guys to see what you think

1 month later
#21 8 years ago

Any other ideas as to why some drop targets don't score during game play? I am lost! Thanks

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Can you please take a few pics of your drop target assembly and wiring so I can compare to mine? Sorry but I just barely started working on my machine again. Thanks

#23 8 years ago

Besides the some drop targets not registering, I also have other issues. No extra ball awarded, I never get the elvis video mode. Only get the "catch the ball" video mode. I assume there is something connected wrong? Hope you guys can help me here. Thanks

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#25 8 years ago

20160208_150637_(resized).jpg20160208_150637_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#27 8 years ago

As you can see the switch on the left has only 1 wire and the one on the right has 2 wires. Is this normal? Where do I place the wire to bridge the switches if they are wired differently. Thanks

#28 8 years ago

The switch on the left has a common connection at the bottom with SW34, put your wire there.
My picture shows a target bank from a SG.

#29 8 years ago

Sounds great! Will get back with results from drop targets asap! Thanks

#30 8 years ago

Test done!!! Wow feels great!!!

All drop targets show up in test mode when I bridge them! What do you think? What should I do? Thanks!

#31 8 years ago

Clean them and adjust them.

#32 8 years ago

#33 8 years ago

This is on my iphone with game over. Just like in my machine. Maybe this is normal and just started happening to me because I did the reset on factory settings? Thanks

#34 8 years ago

With game over. Just like in my machine...

#35 8 years ago

#36 8 years ago

#37 8 years ago

There? Where do I plug the leads on the bottom?

Ac or dc on the top?

It doesnt beep....

#38 8 years ago

If correct just tell me if Ac or Dc

If not correct tell me please thanks

#39 8 years ago

What are you tring to measure? If you are going for diode test or continuity then leads are fine. A/C D/C doesn't matter.

Quoted from KornFreak28:It doesnt beep....

You need to touch the leads together, then it will beep.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What are you tring to measure? If you are going for diode test or continuity then leads are fine. A/C D/C doesn't matter.

You need to touch the leads together, then it will beep.

Hey grumpy! Nice to see you! Its diode test. I just did it and they all look pretty good except for 4 diodes that look different. Those test at 177 and the rest at 655

#41 8 years ago

That is the different looking diode

#42 8 years ago

Try a different pic, this one is blury.

#43 8 years ago

#44 8 years ago

All I see is 16 diodes and 2 resistors, the diodes look the same to me. But it's 2am.

#45 8 years ago

Lol! Sorry then Its the resistors I am talking about. Sorry barely learning this hobby. Yeah its 2 am. Got work tomorrow at 8. Thanks! Ttyl!

#46 8 years ago

red red brown = 220 ohms.

#47 8 years ago

They all gave me right around 177

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

They all gave me right around 177

The diodes or the resistors? If your talking resistors then take it out of diode test and use ohms test instead. Move the meter's knob up two clicks counter clockwise.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The diodes or the resistors? If your talking resistors then take it out of diode test and use ohms test instead. Move the meter's knob up two clicks counter clockwise.

Yes the reaistors. Ok I will do that today.....Thanks!!

#50 8 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-targets-dont-registerdont-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.