(Topic ID: 226343)

[RESOLVED] Drop targets (A newbie Blackout fix)

By llevine5

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by llevine5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi all! I just picked up my first ever pin over the weekend, a Blackout. It was non functional when I bought it, but I managed to get it powered on and semi functional. I am chugging through some play issues right now, but am stuck on drop targets.

When I drop all of the center and right bank targets, each one of them registers individually, but they don't all clear and reset, nor do I get the "Red/Yellow condition". All of the targets will reset when the ball is over, so I know the solenoids work. I also dissassembled and cleaned the targets and circuit cards. In my troubleshooting, I've also discovered that removing and reinstalling the switch column connector on the MPU board will trigger the series completion, reset all the targets, and light up the "Red/Yellow condition" for the Blackout kickout.

I'm scratching my head on this and would appreciate some guidance! Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

Highly suspect is the horseshoe sliders and the copper pads they contact with on the way down (score), and when they bottom out (target down; if all are down score and reset bank.

The sliders are supposed to be domed but over the years get a flat worn surface that doesn't pass current like it should.

I have had good results heating the horseshoe slider contact with an iron and adding solder to replace the missing dome. Smooth out the dome with high grit sandpaper, like 2K. Then clean and polish the copper pads with Mothers.

Also make sure none of the jumpers are broken or mis-wired and that the screws holding the circuit boards are not missing or stripped.

I have had a few games run for years after this procedure.

#3 1 year ago

cody_chunn Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a shot. The diodes and wiring are also highly suspect, I think I may end up rewiring the circuit cards while I'm at it.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from llevine5:

Hi all! I just picked up my first ever pin over the weekend, a Blackout. It was non functional when I bought it, but I managed to get it powered on and semi functional. I am chugging through some play issues right now, but am stuck on drop targets.
When I drop all of the center and right bank targets, each one of them registers individually, but they don't all clear and reset, nor do I get the "Red/Yellow condition". All of the targets will reset when the ball is over, so I know the solenoids work. I also dissassembled and cleaned the targets and circuit cards. In my troubleshooting, I've also discovered that removing and reinstalling the switch column connector on the MPU board will trigger the series completion, reset all the targets, and light up the "Red/Yellow condition" for the Blackout kickout.
I'm scratching my head on this and would appreciate some guidance! Thanks.

I’m having the same issue with my lower bank. All 3targets register and score individually. Sometimes they will immediately reset and award “condition red” and sometimes there is a delay until, I presume, some playfield vibration triggers some connection. I haven’t yet looked into what tells the machine that all three targets are down. If I jiggle the mechanism then they will reset. Can someone detail what is the trigger for scoring and resetting the completed 3 bank?

#6 1 year ago

Clean and lightly sand your horseshoe and the board it’s on. Bend them in a little bit so they dig in. This is a very common issue.

#7 1 year ago

RESOLVED. I took both of my banks totally apart, cleaned them, adjusted the horseshoes, even rebuilt with new diodes. Nothing worked, and my attention waned.... As I worked my way through other broken switches in the table, I noticed that the four non-working switches remaining were all in the same switch matrix row (Row 4). The switches in this row are: Green Target 2, Upper left target (by bumpers), Center Drop Bank Series, Upper Drop Bank Series, and Right Slingshot. When I inspected all of these, I found the capacitor on my slingshot was broken. While I am waiting for a replacement, I held the two broken ends of the capacitor together, and voila, all of these switches started working again. I am not sure from looking at the wiring diagram why this one broken capacitor would cause the other switches to not work, but I'm not going to think about it too hard. I tried soldering with a jumper, but think I had my iron on too hot and burned out the cap. Oh well! Fingers crossed everything is fixed when I get the replacement in this week.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Victor, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside