Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Dbaum88
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180102_155451 (resized).jpg
    DTO_FrontBackCovers (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spiroagnew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I know, I know...pinball and Kickstarter have had a pretty cruddy relationship (thank both Paperflock and Stern for that).

However, Jon Chad and Alec Longstreth, amazing cartoonists and pinball fans, have compiled all seven issues of their long out-of-print Drop Target Zine with some added bonus content, and packaged it into one big omnibus/collection. They are funding through Kickstarter, which is kind of a drag, but I trust these guys enough to get the job done. I have no skin in the game, I'm just a backer and I've enjoyed Jon and Alec's contributions to the pinball scene over the years. If you've not read their DTZ, it blends great art with creative writing and reviews.

Mods, feel free to move this topic where it needs to go.

Kickstarter Link:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1651383141/drop-target-omnibus

DTO_FrontBackCovers (resized).jpgDTO_FrontBackCovers (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Some info I received in my email...

-----------===============--------------

Hello friends!

I am excited to announce that long-time friend Jon Chad and I are launching our Kickstarter campaign to release a print collection of the pinball zines we made, into a book titled the Drop Target Omnibus.

In 2010, Jon and I became obsessed with pinball. We took this energy and channelled it into a self-published, illustrated zine, Drop Target. Over the next five years we put out seven issues, which each centered around a theme: Introduction, D.I.Y., Classics, Moves, Community, Design and Future.

Each issue contains a number of Drop Target’s regular features:

• From Zeros to Heroes - Autobiographical comics about Jon and Alec’s experiences getting involved with the pinball community.

• Dream Machines - Jon, Alec and a special guest artist drew original pinball playfields and back glasses, and then created a ruleset for these imaginary pinball machines!

• Replay Reviews - A deep breakdown of the ruleset of a game, with accompanying illustrations. The goal is to help players get a replay, when they come across these machines!

• Special When LITerature - Reviews of books, articles or zines about pinball!

• Video Mode - Reviews of movies, documentaries and online videos about pinball!

• Pinhalls - Reviews of excellent places to play pinball around the United States of America!

• Tilt Talk - Interviews with key pinball community members including world championship players, professional pinball designers and artists, tournament organizers, entrepreneurs, etc.

• Bang Backs - A feature focusing on people who are bringing the “dying” art of pinball into the 21st century and breathing new life into it using new forms of technology.

The Drop Target Omnibus will bring together all seven issues of the Drop Target Zine, as well as 100+ pages of bonus material, including new comics, illustrations, Dream Machines, interviews and more! We’re hoping to raise $2,870 to fund our first print run. The campaign ends on December 1st and we’re grateful for any help you could extend to help us reach our goal, either by contributing or helping us out by sharing a link and spreading the word. More details about the Kickstarter campaign can be found here:

http://kck.st/2hv9pzk

Thank you!

Alec (+Jon)

#3 6 years ago

Finally, I did an interview with Jon and Alec a while back. I think it captures both their passion of the DTZ project, and their passion for pinball. It serves as a pretty good companion to the Kickstarter info to introduce the uninitiated to what DTZ was all about.

https://creditdotpinball.com/2014/08/03/feature-drop-target-zine/

#6 6 years ago

100% funded in 9.5 hours!

#9 6 years ago

From the backer numbers, 160 copies have been officially spoken for. They are fast approaching twice their original goal...only three days into the campaign!

2 weeks later
    #12 6 years ago

They've doubled their original goal. They've got 209 backers. They've also given weekly updates. Back this project while you have time!

1 week later
    #13 6 years ago

Home stretch!

One day left to back the Drop Target Zine Omnibus! As of today, it has raised three times it's original goal.

2 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago

Funded.

Per the update today: Proofs of the book are returning to the authors in the next few days. Screenprinting the slip covers now. All packaging materials have been acquired in anticipation of a January shipment.

This is the way a successfully funded Kickstarter pinball book should be handled!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spiroagnew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-zine-omnibus-on-kickstarter?tu=spiroagnew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.