Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MoSeS_1592
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

For those unfamiliar with the layout, my Special Force (Bally 6803) has a drop target bank with three targets that are in-line instead of side-to-side like a typical target bank. The targets block the lane and all three must be knocked down to access the lane's primary target (similar to Centaur). Everything works fine except when the ball hits one of the targets too hard it bounces off the target with such force so fast that the target doesn't drop. If the ball rolls slower and hits the target then the targets drop normally.

Has anyone had this issue or know a fix? The targets seem to drop passively with no resistance when I manually drop them with my finger and the "fire rocket" button automatically drops the target just fine. Is there a way to tighten the spring or is there a particular adjustment to correct this on this style drop target mechanism?

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to "Bally Bricks"!

Did you replace the targets with new ones? New ones brick a lot worse than originals.

There's not a lot to be done to fix these (well, there's been a lot done to TRY and fix this).... make sure the drops are as far forward as they can be in each slot, people have melted pieces of the drop off to try and get it to drop better.... one this it's not is the spring. You'd think it would be, but it's not.

If you look on rec.games.pinball newsgroup through google groups there's a ton of info there on what people have tried.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Welcome to "Bally Bricks"!
Did you replace the targets with new ones? New ones brick a lot worse than originals.
There's not a lot to be done to fix these (well, there's been a lot done to TRY and fix this).... make sure the drops are as far forward as they can be in each slot, people have melted pieces of the drop off to try and get it to drop better.... one this it's not is the spring. You'd think it would be, but it's not.
If you look on rec.games.pinball newsgroup through google groups there's a ton of info there on what people have tried.

I used to own a Special Force and it had the same issue, but it really is a Bally drop target design issue. Basically, the "lip" that holds the target upright is long/deep enough to not drop immediately when hit. You can get some luck filing or sanding down the lip so its not so recessed, that way the spring and impact don't have to work as hard to pull down the target. Loved that game, just was beyond restoring condition and noone makes new parts for it, so gave it up. Maybe some day a nice one will show up.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the newsgroups and try sanding the edges of the targets a bit.

#5 1 year ago

Not sure if the height of the targets is adjustable on that mechanism, but it may be worth experimenting with if nothing else helps. Do the targets sit flush with the playfield when they're down?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:Not sure if the height of the targets is adjustable on that mechanism, but it may be worth experimenting with if nothing else helps. Do the targets sit flush with the playfield when they're down?

Yup.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside