Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DropTarget
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

17 minutes of blathering and talking to myself while rebuilding a Target Alpha bank.

May help if you are installing new drop targets in a similar era machine.

#2 10 years ago

That was timely... just starting on the drops in my High Hand...

#3 10 years ago

Perfect...I have TA (it is working properly) but just this weekend we broke the "7" on my Sky Jump and I will be replacing that as soon as the parts arrive.

Here is a pretty good link for the process, as well.
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/jjpf.htm

Thanks!

#4 10 years ago

The pinrepair process requires using a cutting wheel and cutting out parts of your brackets to get the drop targets out. One obvious issue is that debris from the cutting wheel and metal shavings would need to be contained somehow. The other, more subtle thing is if you want to permanently modify your machine, or if you would like to keep it more original. You would also need to assess how easy is would be to access your drop targets with a dremel/cut-off wheel. The big plus to the cut-off wheel method is that you don't have to remove the target bank all the way. There may be different answers for different people and your answer may change based off of whether or not just want to change one target on a players machine or need to overhaul the assembly and/or change out all the targets on a collector's machine, or even if you had to already pull the drop target bank for a clear coat.

Also, if you are more comfortable with written instructions, I wrote up essentially the method from the video a few years ago for the pinwiki. I was waiting until I did my Target Alpha for the video, since I think this is the biggest target bank Gottlieb made.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Drop_Targets

#5 10 years ago

Agreed on the rebuild process. I have used both methods. The dremel tool method is very messy (esp. if you are doing it in your living room!) I do the whole thing right on the game without removing the reset coils (unless they need to be rebuilt anyway). I remove the target down switches to access and take it apart. I have never removed the center axle, though have repaired several reset bars. I think having the experience and judgement to know what's best for each game is key. A full tear down may be needed sometimes, but at the least a very good clean up and inspection should be done.

#6 10 years ago

Just so you know.....your video fired me up enough to do the rebuild.....your way. My original intent was to do the Dremel method. After reading the posts, watching the video twice, and generally thinking it over I decided to do it your way.

I pulled the playfield last night, and removed and disassembled the entire unit. Took lots of digital pix. I am awaiting my replacement drop targets from PBR (only one is broken, but I am going to replace them all), but once they arrive, I will be good to go.

Thanks for the motivation!!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

Thanks for the motivation!!

Glad to help. If you need some assistance along the way, be sure to say something. Thanks.

#8 10 years ago

And just for fun, last night after all the parts were cleaned and polished, I "practiced" reassembly with the old parts. I put the whole assembly back together. I then took it apart once again and will patiently await my new drop target parts delivery from PBR!

Gets easier each time!!!

Mike

#9 10 years ago

Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for filming your working process and providing that link to the written version on PinWiki. Information like this is so helpful. I watched the whole video during lunch today and found some other EM vids of yours after that. I just purchased my first EM a couple weeks ago ( http://www.elephanteater.com/9568 ), and while it doesn't have any drop targets, I wouldn't be surprised if I owned an EM with some drops in the future. Ha-ha!

Hope this finds you well,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#10 10 years ago

Crikes, tore my first bank of drops apart on my High Hand. What a mess! Looks like someone sprayed a whole can of WD40 inside this thing. All dried & nasty.
I bought an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of years ago & have not used it much. Probably a good time to put it to use. What cleaning solution does everyone prefer?

#11 10 years ago

I use Mean Green, straight up. Get a 1 gallon jug for about $6 at a dollar store.

#12 10 years ago

I ended up using a 50/50 mix of simple green & water. Cleaned the major gunk off with Brakeclean & then threw the parts in the ultrasonic @ 100F. Worked GREAT.
Reassembly was a piece of cake - no where near as bad as they look. Three more sets to go.....

1 week later
#13 10 years ago

Just an update....I got "Sky Jump" back together and working/scoring properly. The 7 drop targets were good practice. I created some additional issues for myself, but that is also part of the learning process. Cleaned some switches and replaced the coil sleeves, as well.

I also replaced one drop target I broke on "Amazing Spiderman" the very next day. It was much simpler as the bracket was modified by the factory by this time, so replacement was a snap thru the slots on the lower part..

I was empowered to give my "Target Alpha" a go as well.....2 banks of drops for a total of 15 targets!! I replaced the five on the smaller bank first, and it went off without a hitch. I am now eyeing the large bank of 10 and getting my courage up!!

#14 10 years ago

I just did a drop target bank total replacement this weekend. I have a shop, so for me, using the pinrepair method is the easiest and quickest way to get the targets out with a minimal tear down of the entire assembly.

I used a regular angle grinder cutoff wheel to do the cutting. The shavings and debris are really minimal, you can just blow it all off with compressed air. But if you don't have a shop obviously this method is superior because it does throw sparks and there are small shavings, but it's not really that bad.

Always good to have multiple ways to attack a problem.

#15 10 years ago

what would the group think of removing the target assembly from the playfield to replace the drops, but then modifying/cutting the bottom bracket with slots "on the work bench"........so that it keeps the playfield neat and free of debris this time, but makes it easier for any future repairs/replacements?

Or is that just overkill?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

17 minutes of blathering and talking to myself while rebuilding a Target Alpha bank.
» YouTube video
May help if you are installing new drop targets in a similar era machine.

Awesome , I cannot wait to check this out. I will be hoping to have a very nice Target Alpha at the 2014 Pinball Expo.....

#17 10 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need to cut up an original bracket. Yeah, the earlier ones take awhile to get apart and back together, but they're not *that* hard.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need to cut up an original bracket. Yeah, the earlier ones take awhile to get apart and back together, but they're not *that* hard.

+1, taking it all apart is just time consuming, not hard. The upside is that you can properly clean everything once apart. Plus, once you cut the plate you compromise the original plating on the bracket, exposing it to future corrosion. - unless of course you get the cut bracket re-plated.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yeah I did my Target Alpha in about an hour without removing the banks. I do remove the playfield from the game to make it much easier. As cheap as the drop targets are, I suggest using new ones. The old ones get brittle and will break if you are rebuilding flippers, etc. Also, there are two spring tools that are essential. Finally adjusting the switches and cleaning them is really important or the targets will be sluggish and may stick half way.

Try this:

www.papinball.com/tips/gottlieb_drop_target_guide.html

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah I did my Target Alpha in about an hour without removing the banks. I do remove the playfield from the game to make it much easier. As cheap as the drop targets are, I suggest using new ones. The old ones get brittle and will break if you are rebuilding flippers, etc. Also, there are two spring tools that are essential. Finally adjusting the switches and cleaning them is really important or the targets will be sluggish and may stick half way.
Try this:
http://www.papinball.com/tips/gottlieb_drop_target_guide.html

I'd love to see the spring tools so I could pick them up.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Cruzin1a:

I'd love to see the spring tools so I could pick them up.

www.crawfordtool.com/springhooks2.html

Items 25007 & 25008

#22 10 years ago

"I'd love to see the spring tools so I could pick them up."

I use dental pick/tools....work great for drop target springs. Ask your dentist if he/she has any old ones that aren't needed...you never know!

#23 10 years ago

Great thread, thanks for putting that video together!

#24 10 years ago

another great video... thanks todd...

imo, r&r'ing them is the way to go... plus completing your first one gives a VERY satisfying feeling of accomplishment...

#26 10 years ago

Thanks guys! I have a few sticky targets and I've been meaning to get to this!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

+1, taking it all apart is just time consuming, not hard. The upside is that you can properly clean everything once apart. Plus, once you cut the plate you compromise the original plating on the bracket, exposing it to future corrosion. - unless of course you get the cut bracket re-plated.

Corrosion isn't going to be an issue unless you're planning to store the game in a barn or something else. Of all the issues involved here, that one just wasn't much of a consideration.

#28 10 years ago

newmantjn, What Ultrasonic parts cleaner do you use?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from slawnski:

newmantjn, What Ultrasonic parts cleaner do you use?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Mean Green Straight up for the solution.

6 years later
#30 3 years ago

Hi,

It's been a while. time to resurrect this thread?

I'm restoring two drop target machines, a Dimension and a Pin-up, so yes, starting with 3 ten target banks.

I've disassembled the first bank from my Dimension. There were no nylon bushings for the rod, do you know if this was normal back then, as drop target banks were new, maybe the bushings came at a later date, or perhaps someone else removed them. It's obvious that this bank was taken out of the machine at some point.

-Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-rebuild-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.