3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

This is on a Mystic. (Bally SS 1980). The ball hits the glass as often as not, off the center bank of drop targets.

The positioning of the drop targets on this machine does not seem to be adjustable. They are in a rigid box. A tech said there would be two adjustment screws accessible from the bottom of the unit, but the only screws I see hold the parts together with no room for adjustment. I don't see any adjustment screws.

Is it possible that a new set of plastic drop targets would fix the problem? Doesn't seem likely, I guess all drop targets are created equal, but that's all I can think of. No telling how old or new these are. They look fairly bright & clean. Incorrect design on them, though.

Something funny about them... the flat tops on each set of drop targets are not uniform. Each of the three banks of targets has one target where the flat top of the target is slimmer than its two brothers. I'm thinking that the former owner had different sets and mixed them up. Could that be it? (Same bullseye design on each.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 3 months ago

Could be previous owner didn’t install correct drop target or are the flippers way too strong?Also if you want adjust the game,Adjust the back legs a few inches higher

#3 3 months ago

There are two types of drops, ones with "hoods" and plain flat ones, each bank should have all one type but I think the different styles are just to dress it up a bit, functionally the same.

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Could be previous owner didn’t install correct drop target or are the flippers way too strong?

Original coils on the flippers. old flipper, maybe the worn parts have a longer stroke?

will try raising the machine up. Was thinking of doing that anyway. The captive ball shot is too easy.

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Original coils on the flippers. old flipper, maybe the worn parts have a longer stroke?
    will try raising the machine up. Was thinking of doing that anyway. The captive ball shot is too easy.

Yeah raising it a bit will make a difference the ball will travel a bit faster too

#6 3 months ago

If adjusting the tilt of the game doesn't do it then try to angle the front of the drop target assembly. Add a couple of shims (washers) under the front mounting screws.

#7 3 months ago

Raising the back legs all the way up didn’t help. Neither did shimming the unit.

I give up. Hitting the glass doesn’t seem to hurt the glass or the ball.

#8 3 months ago

Well if you want you can put a thick clear piece of tape on that drop target

#9 3 months ago

I still wonder what is making it do that.

On a set up that is not adjustable, it sure seems like it must be working as designed. One day I’ll change out the targets. Maybe new targets will fix it.

Guess I’ll have to buy those bicycle stands folks were talking about in another thread for a rotisserie.

amazon.com link »

Or just live with it. The idea was to get a toy, not a new hobby project.

#10 3 months ago

Well if you wanted a toy that doesn't break or need work a 40 year old pinball machine maybe wasn't such a good choice.

I think fixing them and working thru the bugs is all just part of the experience. You'll figure it out don't give up or get frustrated.

I spent close to four days working on my Capt Fantastic Em game trying to get it playing correctly. Finally a fellow pinsider help me out and got it going. Before that I swore I'd never buy another EM game again.

#11 3 months ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Guess I’ll have to buy those bicycle stands folks were talking about in another thread for a rotisserie.

No, you do not need a rotisserie to solve a drop target problem. Also, people love the IDEA of owning and playing a pinball machine, but often do not realize that they are going to have both small and large issues. Those issues will require tweaking and maintenance as time ticks along...

Without seeing the actual bank in question, my suggestion would be to put TWO rubbers behind the targets instead of one (one tapered UNDER the other) and see if that helps. It should cut down on the balls going airborne.

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Without seeing the actual bank in question, my suggestion would be to put TWO rubbers behind the targets instead of one

A complete set of new rubber is on its way. Maybe that'll fix it. Tried turning the rubber around, a few days ago, but that didn’t work.

An older machine $$ was all I wanted to spend. Besides, I love the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 109.99
    $ 339.00
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Various Other Swag
    Circus Maximus
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    £ 50.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside