008.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
001-507.JPG
002-378.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello all-
Working on restoring my first pin, a Gottlieb Cleopatra. I'm happy to say that I'm just about done with my restoration. Cpu, drive and power boards have all been replaced. All the molex connectors have been repinned. I replaced the drop targets, all the rubbers, and cleaned and buffed everything. So I thought I was pretty much done. I have a new Ni-Wumpf system 1 replacement board, so I did all the diagnostic checks. All the switches and light bulbs were fine. However, when it came to the coil test, all of them worked except one, the drop target reset coil. Once I fix that I think I can call this pin done! But the problem is I don't really know where to start. I did fully take apart this drop target assembly when I replaced the targets. Boy that was a pain in the butt with all those springs! But I'm almost 100% certain that I put it back together just fine. I took a lot of pictures before hand and studied it pretty well. The drop targets all seem to work if I manually drop them and reset them. The switches on them all seem to operate as they should and they are all normally open when the targets are up as you can see here:
001-507.JPG001-507.JPG

When all five targets get triggered, the "Extra Ball When Lit" feature does light up. So even that appear like its working. It also does score points the initial time the targets are knocked down. But then at the start of a new ball, or when you switch players, it never resets the drop targets. Here are some pictures of my reset coil attached to the drop target assembly. Everything looks ok to me, but I don't necessarily know what to look for per se.
002-378.JPG002-378.JPG
003.JPG003.JPG

I can manually push in the reset bar attached to the coil with my finger and it does reset all the drop targets.
004.JPG004.JPG

So, again, as far as I can tell everything is assembled correctly, everything is scoring correctly and lights up the appropriate special gameplay lights. The only thing not working is that the reset coil never fires and resets the drop targets. Can anyone give me any tips or tell me where to start looking to fix this? Any help would be appreicated! Let me know if you need any more info in order to help me! Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Check the reset coil with a meter to check the resistance. The coil could be open or shorted.

Double check your wiring to the coil lugs. Power to the coil should be attached to the coil lug associated with the striped end of the diode.

#3 9 years ago

Oops, I intended on my last picture before being one of me pressing in the coin manually:
005.JPG005.JPG
Which, anyway, I am able to do and it feels normal, so far as I can tell, and it does reset the targets.

I broke out my fancy new auto digital multimeter. It measured at 3.3:
006.JPG006.JPG
Which from what I saw on pinrepair's system 1 guide, that looked right for a coil, but let me know if I'm wrong on that.

Here are pictures of the connections to the coil:
007.JPG007.JPG

008.JPG008.JPG

Do those look ok to you guys as far as you can tell? They look OK to me, in so far as I don't see any obvious breaks or anything.

If so, whats next? Do I need to cut open all my wire bundles to see if I can follow where the power wire goes to? In my case that appears to be an orangish wire? Or what should I be looking for or doing next?

#4 9 years ago

Those connections look rough. Get a new diode and clean up those connections one at a time. Plenty of slack in those wires to cut the ends off and make a new connection. Needless to say, observe the polarity of the diode. A 1N4004 diode from radioshack will work.

But before you do that, order a manual with schematics from PB resource. You need to check continuity from the coil back to the driver board. The schematics will tell you where to check. Do you have a factory driver board, or is the Ni-Wumpf an all in one deal? Have you checked or replaced the edge connectors?

http://www.pbresource.com/

#5 9 years ago

Did you check the 2 amp slo-blo fuse for the Target Bank Reset Coil?
I think it's under the playfield.

#6 9 years ago

I have a manual already for the pin. Though I don't know how to read that type of diagram yet, so it's of little use to me at the moment. Thanks for the model number of the diode. Guess I will have to brush up on my soldering skills, which were a bit weak last time I gave it a shot. And to answer your questions, I did replace all three boards, and replaced the connectors. I am using the Ni-Wumpf replacement.

I did check the continuity of the fuse under the playfield and it passed. But I suppose I could replace it just to be safe. Though I thought that there'd be more problems than just this one if that fuse were out. But maybe not. Like I said, easy enough to do, just in case.

I'll see if I can find some time tomorrow to give this all another look. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

#7 9 years ago

Do these measures with the power off.
Disconnect connector A3J4. Check continuity from A3J4-2 to the orange/black wire on the target reset coil. Should get ~0 Ohms. Use the ohms scale set to the lowest range to measure this.
Next measure from A6J5-9 (or from the 24VDC Bridge Rectifier + output) to the green/yellow wire on the target reset coil. Again ohms should be ~ 0 ohms.

4 years later
#8 5 years ago

markronz, did you ever fix this problem? I am having same issue on my Cleopatra

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-problem-with-my-system-1-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.