12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2012-04-28_at_2.35.32_PM.png
Bally_1981_Eight_Ball_Deluxe_Manual_(d.pdf (PDF preview)
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
#1 12 years ago

My 8-Ball Deluxe drop targets are acting funny, it initially started with the 6 ball drop target not registering unless it was hit first. So I de-soldered every diode on the drop target switches and tested them all. It was my first time checking diodes with a multi-meter but they all didn't register in one direction and showed a number around 800 in the other direction.

I don't quite understand the schematics but it looks like there are more than just the drop targets on the same switch matrix? What other kind of things can I check? Is there a possibility this could be a board problem? Thanks for any help you can provide.

#2 12 years ago

You need to isolate it:

1) Verify the switch is ok. Using your multimeter, verify that the wires are continuous (touching) when the switch is depressed.

2) Verify the board is ok. Remove the col and row harnesses from the board and in sw test, short the row to the col with a paperclip or wire (use your manual to see what the row col's are). The sw test should show a sw hit in this case.

Between #1 and #2, it should tell you where the problem lies.

#3 12 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. In switch test mode the target registers but I'll test with a multimeter. I'll try to figure out number 2 - basically when I short the row and col on the board based on the schematics the drop target I'm shorting should register? And if it doesn't what does that mean? Thanks for the help.

#4 12 years ago

I guess I have the wrong diode on one of my target switches, it is a IN4004 instead of an IN4148, would that cause a problem?

Looking at this diagram, I have to disconnect J2 from the A4 board? What is the other harness I have to disconnect?

This is a good explanation of what I am doing?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#The_Switch_Matrix

And this is what I have to do?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Sys11_switch_matrix_test_col.jpg

Thanks.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from FatsoPilot:

I guess I have the wrong diode on one of my target switches, it is a IN4004 instead of an IN4148, would that cause a problem?

The 1N4004 is designed as a rectifier diode with a 400volt 1 amp rating.
The 1N4148 is a high speed signal diode rated at 100volt 200ma.

So for most applications you could use the 4004 over a 4148 but there are circuits that might utilize the higher speed, which I don't think you would need for a switch. The diode is there to prevent current flow.

Since it worked then didn't I would suspect something else.

I think the diode is OK...but you could take one off somewhere else and try it if you want (if you don't have another).

Robert

#6 12 years ago

Check for loose wiring at the switch and connectors, poor soldering, crimping , etc.
Did you try and clean the switch contacts?

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Check for loose wiring at the switch and connectors, poor soldering, crimping , etc.
Did you try and clean the switch contacts?

I've done most of that. The switches work fine. In switch test mode they all register fine. It is just the order in which the targets are hit that matters. Hitting one of the problem targets first it always registers, hit another target first and it doesn't register. I'm going to do the troubleshooting Markmon suggested above on Friday and see if I can figure out what is going on. Thanks for the replies.

#8 11 years ago

If anyone happens to read this thread and could offer some more advice. I jumped all my strobe lines with all the rows on my MPU board and everything tested fine. Starting with column 1 (Strobe 0) and going down all rows the switches all worked and registered in order from 1 to 40 something.

So I guess the problem is under the playfield? Any ideas on what to look for next? If I want to test other diodes/switch issues is it likely to be on the same row or same strobe line as my trouble target? I was doing some more testing today, if I hit the 1 target first it registers and then if I hit the 6 target it doesn't register BUT if I lift the 1 target back up (open the switch) the 6 target immediately registers - right as the 1 target switch opens. Does this sound like a diode issue?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

#9 11 years ago

Here's the switch matrix.

Screen_Shot_2012-04-28_at_2.35.32_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2012-04-28_at_2.35.32_PM.png

#10 11 years ago

Strange problem. Did you disconnect the diodes and test with a meter. You could always just shotgun and change out the Target 1 and 6 diodes and see if the issue goes away.

#11 11 years ago

I did test all the diodes on the drop targets and they were fine. It isn't just an issue related to the 1 target, it is all the targets 1-5. So if I hit 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 first then the 6 will not register. If I hit the 7 first and then the 6, the 6 will register. If I hit the 7, then the 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 target the 6 will not register when hit. If the 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 are down the 6 will not register. It will register once I open the target above the 6. For some reason the 7 target does not do this. I'm about to try the shotgun approach and start replacing all diodes.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

It sure sounds like a diode issue. I had a similar problem with a '79 Gottlieb Genie. Here's the thread and detail of the fix.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switches-and-diodes-and-drop-targets-oh-my-beginners-guide

UPDATE: ...just saw that you posted on that thread. Hope you get your problem fixed, I'm sorry I'm not an expert - maybe someone with more experience can jump in.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from FatsoPilot:

BUT if I lift the 1 target back up (open the switch) the 6 target immediately registers - right as the 1 target switch opens. Does this sound like a diode issue?

Re-reading this post over a few times, it sure looks like a diode issue. Are you sure the diode across the 6 target isn't shorted? Have you replaced any diodes at all?

Also the 6 target shares with the 14 target. Not sure on this but when you drop a target , there is a stationary target behind the drop target. are these for the 9 to 15 balls?
If so are there any diodes on the stationary targets?
Let us know.

1 week later
#14 11 years ago

I'm still working on it. I replaced all the diodes on the drop targets. Behind the drop targets are the stationary targets which have a capacitor and a diode. I've been told it is more likely a capacitor issue, so I've started clipping those off on any switch in the same row/column. Although I was reading some Clay's literature last night where he mentioned something about drawing a box around the problem switch on the switch matrix and any of those switches could be the culprit. I'll post back if I find a fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.