IMG_6222 (resized).JPG
IMG_6221 (resized).JPG
20210423_233810 (resized).jpg
20210423_233758 (resized).jpg
20210423_233750 (resized).jpg
IMG_6275 (resized).JPG
IMG_6277 (resized).JPG
3a53a942752f0e51a6f11fa75e74537837cdbbf3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 6 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just had a bunch of friends over yesterday and put 20-30 games on flight 2k. Not one single dropped target on reset was reported and I had people looking for it. Seems to be working great! I’ll report back if anything changes.

Hey Erik,
So three years has passed. Do you still have F2K and if so would you say your solution was the proper fix? I have the same issue with bricking and one or two targets dropping down after rest on galaxy and the f2k 5-bank. I have had the assembly out of galaxy several times. Everything has been cleaned in the ultrasonic and properly reassembled (pretty sure). Since this is only happening on the banks with the pull-in coils I associated the drop down issue with the tabs on those that the target sits on when raised. Those tabs on the suspect targets seemed to be at a slight decline which led me to believe the targets where slipping off after reset. I straightened those so they are parallel which seemed to help. I actually thought i had it solved with that but they started acting up again last night. i also disconnected the pull in coils to rule out the stand up targets (which will also drop those on galaxy) and it made no difference so it definitely seems to be a mechanical issue. One thing I noticed, and it was mentioned when you were going through this before, is when the plunger is activated it seems that the targets are being pushed up too high and lean backwards at the top of the stroke. It seems like they might be missing the landing tabs on the pull in coils. the targets that are giving me problems start to lean back before the others. I need to examine, compare and probably swap in a plunger and coil stop from another game. It seems that maybe either the plunger or coil stop are too short. let me know what you think.

#47 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What do you mean with the "bottom of the drop targets"? Stern used two different length of return springs. The long spring was used on the earlier Sterns and the shorter springs with the cross tube were used on the later classic Sterns.
Here is the early style.
[quoted image]
And the later style shorter spring.
[quoted image]
Which way did you go?

I'm going to guess he went with bypassing the tube and down to the lifter arm like on the older games.

#52 5 months ago

I spent all of last night on this thing. Thankfully there is a molex installed as I had it in and out probably 6 times. As I suspected the plunger is pulling in too far which causes the targets to lean back at the top of the stroke and miss the land on the way back down because they are coming in at an angle. As a temporary measure I installed a piece of chrome auto body molding behind them to disallow the lean back. That solved that problem. It does not interfere with the backward movement that allows the targets to drop by hand but its brick-city with the ball. Tomorrow I am going to bend the landing tabs back down to where they were prior to this episode and see if that helps the bricking.

#54 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Chuckwurt stretched the short springs to the long spring hookup. The targets stay up but they brick.
I might try clipping a couple of coils off of a short spring and see what that does. Springs are cheap and I bought some extras.

I did that on all 4 and it made no difference. I think the proper mechanical solution in my case is a longer plunger that hits the coil stop crisply...or a longer coil stop. I swapped in both from seawitch which makes a nice snap when you actuate it by hand in seawitch bit does not when they are mounted on the galaxy plate.

#56 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Maybe you could toss a couple of washers on top of the coil stop to make it seem like you installed a longer coil stop. And then see if that helps. If it helps then you go buy longer plungers.

hmmm. that's a good idea. I will pull it out tomorrow and see it I can secure them in there so it doesnt bind during the manual test. How would you go about investigating longer plungers?

#59 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know. Drop target plungers are larger than the other plungers.

Since the coil stop is positioned on the bottom in a "facing up" position, I think you could just add one or 2 small washers and they should stay put. You could always secure them to the coil stop button with some super glue as an experiment. When you are done, just dip the stop into some fingernail polish remover ( acetone ) to dissolve the super glue.

This coil stop on galaxy is at the top of the assembly. Coil pulls the plunger up and gravity let's it drop back down after the targets reset.

#60 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just tried the washer method. Don't waste your time.

That sucks. Thanks for saving me some time for sure. I think I will try bending the landing tabs down a bit and see it that helps. A ton of savvy guys working on this and all we can come up with is a bandaid that is "good enough". We know they worked at some point. The memory targets are the only ones I am having issues with. Galaxy and f2k with issues but meteor is fine so there is more discovery available to me but I just don't want to do something I will regret. Someone needs to step up and get these things reproduced or find a good substitute. I'm sure the components can be fabricated and I bet someone has looked into it.

#63 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"Someone" is closely related to " I don't know why "they" don't fix things". Who is someone" And who are they?
Someone may do that, but you won't like the price.

The phrase "someone" includes myself.

#64 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Stern is already doing it with the drops on the The Beatles pin. If you need a 3-place or 4-place drop assembly, one of these assemblies can be retrofitted easy enough. Just change the coil. And then try to figure out how you will get white drop targets since Beatles drops are black.
But I am reasonably certain that you won't like the price, but 3s and 4s can be had from Stern. With black targets.
[quoted image]

I might be willing to pay 300.00-350.00 for a complete drop in replacement on a game with enough value to justify it.
I don't believe this Beatles assembly could be modified to replace a drop target assembly with the memory function.

#66 5 months ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

That sucks. Thanks for saving me some time for sure. I think I will try bending the landing tabs down a bit and see it that helps. A ton of savvy guys working on this and all we can come up with is a bandaid that is "good enough". We know they worked at some point. The memory targets are the only ones I am having issues with. Galaxy and f2k with issues but meteor is fine so there is more discovery available to me but I just don't want to do something I will regret. Someone needs to step up and get these things reproduced or find a good substitute. I'm sure the components can be fabricated and I bet someone has looked into it.

I went with the "good enough" option. I noticed 2 of the DT's wouldnt drop even with the memory coil so I pulled all of the memory coil landing tabs out and sanded buffed, polished and waxed them. I also loosened the springs up that i shortened during the previous exercise. Targets stay up when reset, actuate with memory coils and brick way less. I also left in the chrome auto molding which was the major part of the reset solution. I'd satisfied with how it performs now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside