(Topic ID: 236690)

Drop target bank not resetting (popping up)

By cngizbleevng

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I finished installing LED bulbs in my playfield and when I was done and tried to play a game, an odd problem cropped up.

My Eight Ball Deluxe has a 7 drop-target bank that should pop up when at the start of the game, or for a second player. It's not popping up at either time. It does pop up when doing the solenoid diagnostic test. That implies there is power to the assembly and the fuse is good, but why isn't it popping up as it should during the game?

#2 5 years ago

Hmmm......are all the drop switches working?

#3 5 years ago

During the diagnostic mode everything works--the targets drop one by one and once the last one drops they all pop back up.

During game play, I can manually lift them up, and they register properly when they are hit (and the voice states they are hit), but they won't pop back up when they're supposed to.

#4 5 years ago

Did you replace the dummy light under the playfield with an LED? If you did that the solenoid expander may not be working properly causing that coil to fail.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

Did you replace the dummy light under the playfield with an LED? If you did that the solenoid expander may not be working properly causing that coil to fail.

You mean that odd light that looks like it doesn't have a purpose to the front left of the machine under the playfield? Yeah, I replaced it with an LED... gulp...

But if the coil failed why is the bank popping up properly when in diagnostic mode?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

Well, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! As soon as I put an incandescent bulb back in that spot everything works properly. So it wasn't that the coil failed, it was that that bulb somehow regulates electrical flow, and without it things won't be running at the proper voltage.

As xTheBlackKnightx said on another thread...

"IMPORTANT TECHNICAL NOTE:
    DO NOT USE a LED in the SEB lamp, as this will not work in the circuit theory based on necessary voltage unless the circuit has been adjusted with resistance based on a standard Ohm's Law calculation. A lot of new owners do not seem to understand the SEB design technology and why/how it was used. Read the base schematics closely. The SEB lamp is part of lamp matrix, not the SDB, and does not draw power from this part of the game. The proper 6.5v from the SEB lamp is extremely important in order to draw enough current to the MOC3011 opto-isolator on the SEB and activate. I have already seen young technicians not understand these aspects and make this mistake repeatedly on this series of games.

The SEB lamp is not "just another feature lamp".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-bank-not-resetting-popping-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.