Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Drop ceiling”

• Remove it 32 votes
      71%
    • Keep it 8 votes
      18%
    • Othet 5 votes
      11%

(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

line up (resized).jpg
    AD4EC1CE-B510-44CF-9E52-D27E1BBFC23F (resized).jpeg
    D26B48A7-DE84-45DE-ACE4-640F2CCFAEFD (resized).jpeg
    20180423_133915 (resized).jpg
    20180423_133923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0390 (resized).jpg
    47CEFDCB-6269-41F7-A428-62F43853120F (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    IMG_1243 (resized).JPG
    287378031_ZNCrW-L (resized).jpg
    IMG_1081 (resized).JPG
    window (resized).jpg
    Fiberglass_Thermal_Bypass0159-DFs (resized).jpg
    Ceiling 051 (resized).jpg
    F90CE440-C236-42AA-977C-86E49B7F739D (resized).jpeg
    9FB0144D-E800-4C44-846E-60BD15E53ADD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 6 years ago

Regarding black ceilings -- when I built my first theater, my wife and I were debating whether to paint the ceiling black or not. The concern was that it would feel too closed in, gloomy, etc as has been noted in this thread. We went to visit someone else's place that had black ceilings and loved it - the ceiling just "disappears" and you don't even notice it's there.

Since you're concerned with sound, I'll put my vote for "remove drop ceiling, put regular insulation in the joists, and put up some drywall. If you want to get crazier (like I did), you can -- I built backer boxes around my lights, decoupled the drywall from the joists, used two layers of fire-rated drywall, and used green glue between the two sheets), but for a simple game room, that's probably not necessary.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I built my theater the same way. It gets expensive really quick. Did you decouple the walls or just the ceiling?

I did the walls as well as the ceiling. I also did stuff like putty pads on all of the electrical/low voltage boxes, extra weight put on the ducts in the ceiling to stop them from vibrating, etc. And you're right, it was way more expensive than I was thinking - but ultimately it was worth it because I can watch a movie (or play pins) in the basement and my wife can't hear anything in the room right above unless the subwoofer is really rocking - then she says that it sounds like "thunder off in the distance." Win!

I also didn't connect the room to the house's HVAC system, instead putting in a dedicated minisplit for heating/cooling, and a dedicated air exchanger to get fresh air in the room. Ultimately, the air exchanger is probably the weak point in the room for sound escaping. Most people think I'm a little crazy for going to this extreme, but hey, I'm happy with it and it works well!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-ceiling-issues-remove-or-keep?tu=fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.