1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfre81
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Recently my drop catching skills have completely gone to sh!t. I'm too late or early. I'm dumping the ball a lot. Does anyone have any recommendations for me on how to get my groove back? Is it a visualisation problem?

#2 1 year ago

The best advice I got was to think of it like an egg toss. When somone throws you an egg, as soon as you catch it, you let your arm drop so as to not crush it. I’ve been doing well with the technique ever since.

#3 1 year ago

Not sure how to advise on a drop catch. It’s all feel and timing. Drop catching is my best pinball skill. Very natural. On the other hand, I find live catching quite difficult.

#4 1 year ago

It seems to only happen to me "by accident". I have this accident much more often than before, so it must meen I am progressing

#5 1 year ago

Actually, has anything changed recently on your game(s)? Different style flipper rubbers or fresh wax job? Something like that could impact your touch.

#6 1 year ago

Try practicing the timing with the glass off....my instincts is always to flip a bit early so I get a little bounce.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Actually, has anything changed recently on your game(s)? Different style flipper rubbers or fresh wax job? Something like that could impact your touch.

Everything is the same. I think it's in my head. I'm really good at the live catch which many find more difficult but I'm just recently struggling again with the drop catch with my games and others. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The best advice I got was to think of it like an egg toss. When somone throws you an egg, as soon as you catch it, you let your arm drop so as to not crush it. I’ve been doing well with the technique ever since.

I will definitely give this a try. It helps a lot with the visualisation, thank you.

#9 1 year ago

I'd avoid any drop catching out towards the tip-end of the flipper - much harder and no real value because you have to flip it away immediately anyway. Stick towards the base of the flipper until you get your groove back.

#10 1 year ago

It's 100 percent visual timing, and having your eye and your finger on the flipper button in sync. You also have to make a quick assessment as to whether a drop catch is the best choice on a particular ball, determined not only by speed/angle but on table factors. If it's coming down at a high speed, depending on how fast a table is playing, you could just leave the flipper down and watch it bounce to the next one. You'll want this if the shot you want is off the other flipper, though if the speed and angle is right I will just backhand that shot instead of trying to catch, particularly if I didn't get the flipper in the air fast enough. The drop catch works like the opposite of a backhand, on which you are wanting the flipper to contact the ball full speed at the precise moment of the flipper's full extension. To drop catch, the flipper meets the ball in the same position but held up, to drop to the resting position with the ball, cradling it, breaking the fall. The egg toss/catch is a perfect way to look at it.

If it's coming off the tip end, you might just hold the flipper up and let it bounce to a trap, unless it's a very fast ball and the table plays fast or at a flatter grade, because this could send it into the outlane, or SDTM off a slingshot or another object nearby. Or, it could roll down the flipper, up the inlane and through the outlane. This is actually desirable on many older tables (EM and early SS) that have longer inlanes and would have a rollover score/bonus that can be triggered at least once, sometimes twice. On any pin like that, this can be more productive than drop catching. Double dip the rollover as you eye your next shot, then let it rip. Another risk with attempting to drop catch on any ball coming in at an angle toward the flipper tips/gap is if you misjudge and having the near side flipper held up might prevent a slap-save if it becomes necessary.

I love to drop catch just inside the midpoint of the flipper, let it roll for a split second and let it rip the other way for my wide angle shots, particularly off the right flipper in MB for the Creature or MM for the Catapult. It feels good as it happens in a fluid motion (especially if anyone's watching) but it's risky and it's one of the flaws in my style that keep my scores good but rarely great. I will drain balls prematurely and unnecessary through adrenaline-fueled recklessness. It's a really bad deal on some other pins like TZ, with its hungry right outlane and the left side posts that will feed poorly aimed shots to it or SDTM. Some tables reward behavior that others punish.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.00
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 11.95
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 16.95
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 3.70
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside