New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 198641)

Driving 3 Hours, just to play pinball? Am I Crazy???

By dirkdiggler

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dirkdiggler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aaf61377-2670-4b66-be81-ce1d6ab9a648image6 (resized).png

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I'm considering driving a hour and a half there and a hour and half home tonight, just to pay to play some pinball.

The alternative is hanging out with my wife, mother in law and 2 step sisters with only a 15" tv.

Seems like a easy decision? What would you do?

#2 3 years ago

haha with all the factors pick up some pizza combos and hit the road!

#3 3 years ago

A lot of my customer travel that and farther.

If you have a great time there, and they make you feel welcome. Go for it.

Bring wife with. Rescue her too.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm considering driving a hour and a half there and a hour and half home tonight, just to pay to play some pinball.
    The alternative is hanging out with my wife, mother in law and 2 step sisters with only a 15" tv.

You sound like somebody getting ready to go play a round of golf. Go have a good time.

#5 3 years ago

Do it! I've driven further!!!

#6 3 years ago

Can I pay pal u gas money? Anything to contribute to the cause.

#7 3 years ago

I drive that far quite often for pinball league.

#8 3 years ago

When you live in a pinball desert like I do, you do what you have to do. I've had my wife question my sanity because I want to drive 3 hours one way to attend a tech day before a pinball show.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I drive that far quite often for pinball league.

Me too

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Crazy if 'ya don't!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Driving 3 Hours just to play pinball. Am I crazy?

I thought you meant 3 hours one way. An hour and a half each way should be no problem. I've done it numerous times, but always with a buddy riding along, cool tunes on the stereo, and us chatting about music and pinball.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

My wife has questioned why I want to drive 3 hours one way to attend a tech day.

See? It's when it gets to 3 hours each way that you have to really want to go in order to make the long drive.

#12 3 years ago

Uh maybe post where you are from and you may get an invite only say 2 hours away?

Wear deodorant and don't talk about politics or religion and you are more likely to get invited back. Good luck!

#13 3 years ago

I'd keep driving and never look back!

#14 3 years ago

Flew to Vegas once, to play some EM pins at the Hall of Fame. By your statement, "I must be Crazier than You!"

(Actually, I know I Am an addict, I drove from Edmonton to Saskatoon. To buy 2 parts games, didn't even wonder if they worked?)

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Flew to Vegas once. By your statement, "I must be Crazier than You!"
    (Actually, I know I Am an addict, I drove from Edmonton to Saskatoon. To buy 2 parts games, didn't even wonder if they worked?)

Ha, that's where I'm going, Saskatoon. Give star wars a try at pokey's pinball cafe and say hi to smokedog.

#16 3 years ago

I read that wrong too. Thought you meant 3 hours each way. 90 minutes each way isn't that bad.

#17 3 years ago

Yes. Like the rest of us!

#18 3 years ago

I think your asking the wrong crowd. I took my wife and two kids on a 180 mile round trip to play pinball in Southern CA took like 5 or so hours of driving. That's what I love about Pinside when the rest of the world thinks we are crazy we are just normal super cool people here.

#19 3 years ago

Same as going downtown to watch the Cubs or Bears game... and probable be a lot cheaper and more fun too

#20 3 years ago

I drive an hour each way once or twice a month. It helps if there are other things to do in the area, like maybe a restaurant you like or a nice downtown area to walk.

#21 3 years ago

My girlfriend and I have done a three hour road trip a few time to a neighboring province to play pinball. Pinball always makes the day better, I would rather drive 3 hours and play pinball for 10 mins then be somewhere that I do not want to be.

#22 3 years ago

No pins near me. The wife and I plan to drive 4 hours to play some good pinball...but we will also get a hotel. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

#23 3 years ago

How hot are the steps?

#24 3 years ago

Down here in Louisiana we have combo pinball parties with tournaments. We try to coordinate in advance to set dates that work out for several members of two regional pinball clubs we are in.
    Players earn points that count towards IFPA State Championship Series. Members with large enough collections take turns hosting the parties. Someone else serves as tournament director. And guests pitch in to bring snacks and drinks.
    So sometimes players have a short drive to get to the party/ tournament, other times they may have a 2 to 5 hr drive each way to get there.

#25 3 years ago

Ha ha with them circumstances I would drive twice that far.

#26 3 years ago

Depends on the wife.

#27 3 years ago

I have gone to play in a tournament 3:15 hours away and gotten knocked out within an hour of being there and drove right back.

I recently visited my boy hougie and drove 2 hours to is place, stayed 2, then drove 2 hours back home.

We're all nuts man.

#28 3 years ago

People just don't get us and it baffles me. How cool is pinball playing,owning,and all. Just goes to show how lame most are.

#29 3 years ago

My buddy and I drove 10 hours 1 way to play this past weekend, it was awesome until we had to drive home, great to meet you by the way Chuckwurt!

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

People just don't get us and it baffles me. How cool is pinball playing,owning,and all. Just goes to show how lame most are.

Agreed. And to think I used to to just go get drunk at bars most nights. This is so much better. Haha

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from gentrsa:

My buddy and I drove 10 hours 1 way to play this past weekend, it was awesome until we had to drive home, great to meet you by the way Chuckwurt!

You too buddy. War Eagle!!

#32 3 years ago

Once a guy at work asked isn't one enough and looked at me weird for having 17 and I looked back at him with the same weird stare like how can you not understand that 17 is not enough.

#33 3 years ago

I told her I'm thinking of heading down and she just shook her head. At least she didn't say no.

#34 3 years ago

Right on. At least she's down.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Down here in Louisiana we have combo pinball parties with tournaments. We try to coordinate in advance to set dates that work out for several members of two regional pinball clubs we are in.
    Players earn points that count towards IFPA State Championship Series. Members with large enough collections take turns hosting the parties. Someone else serves as tournament director. And guests pitch in to bring snacks and drinks.
    So sometimes players have a short drive to get to the party/ tournament, other times they may have a 2 to 5 hr drive each way to get there.

Yup, PavBall, Jodester, and I made an eight hour round trip drive last weekend. Super fun party / tourney you directed in Shreveport. Absolutely 100% worth it.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I told her I'm thinking of heading down and she just shook her head. At least she didn't say no.

That's acceptance! Go go go!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

No means NO, anything else means your an idiot but it's not a no

Secretly she's hoping you go

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agreed. And to think I used to to just go get drunk at bars most nights. This is so much better. Haha

Yeah, cause now you can stay home, play to your hearts content and drink as much as you like!
    Life is good.

#38 3 years ago

No, you're not crazy. I drive 1.5 hours each way regularly to play pinball. Just 'par for the course' around here.

There is nothing wrong with having some time apart from the partner and the in-laws for some pinball. A bit of time away from time to time is essential, especially if they don't share an interest in the hobby.

In fact I thought about driving 10 hours to attend Pinfest Newcastle (Australia) in a fortnight, but was lazy and have decided to fly down for the weekend. It is going to be a solo trip and nothing but pinball for two days.

#39 3 years ago

So....did yaa go...???!!!.............Joey

#40 3 years ago

If you're mom n law is like mine, i wouldn't hesitate..1 1/2 hrs isn't that bad of a trip, unless you're driving in the snow. Now I'm thinking bout that song by BTO..running back to Saskatoon..

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

with only a 15" tv.

I think some smart phones screens are larger. lol

Go and play!

#42 3 years ago

Drove over 3 hours each way on a day trip for Southern Fried. Great day and well worth it. If family responsibility didn't take up so much time I'm sure I'd travel much more.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

So....did yaa go...???!!!.............Joey

He's still driving!

#44 3 years ago

Are we there yet!

#45 3 years ago

3 hours???

That's it ...?

#46 3 years ago

Go for it for sure!

#47 3 years ago

I mean how many games are we taking? If it's one beat up game in a bowling alley probably not...

#48 3 years ago

Well after a late supper I couldn't justify the drive to play for a hour. I drove a half hour home instead and spent the night playing funhouse by myself. Gotta get the last few games in before rudy and I part ways next week.

Quoted from grantopia:

I mean how many games are we taking? If it's one beat up game in a bowling alley probably not...

Pokey's Pinball Cafe is top notch location pinball. Owned and operated by a pinsider, smokedog in Saskatoon. Killer lineup of 8 to 10 games, lots of beers (also another problem of driving by myself), food, etc.. Want to try star wars out.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

The alternative is hanging out with my wife, mother in law and 2 step sisters

Can't give you a recommendation until you provide pictures.

#50 3 years ago

SirScott

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Cabinet Parts
    Troxel Repair
    $ 179.99
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.00
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 9.50
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside