You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-12-29 11.08.09 (resized).jpg
2016-12-29 11.11.06 (resized).jpg
2016-12-29 11.08.02 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone, I've been playing my SF2 without issue- the other day I 'matched' after a game, and the knocker didn't go off. It was my first time noticing the issue. I tried to test it, and it wouldn't go. After some digging, I realized the transistor responsible for the knocker on this system 3 machine was missing, like someone removed it and never reinstalled one. I am planning to repair this, but have a few questions.

1) Is there any reason someone wouldn't reinstall the transistor (other than just not wanting to deal with it)?
2) In my mind, I just need to obtain one and solder it back in- would this be accurate? Does anyone else see any other issues?
3) Which transistor would I purchase? I'm having problems finding one searching the numbers on the part.

See pictures below for reference.

Thank you all for your assistance in advance.

2016-12-29 11.08.02 (resized).jpg2016-12-29 11.08.02 (resized).jpg

2016-12-29 11.11.06 (resized).jpg2016-12-29 11.11.06 (resized).jpg

2016-12-29 11.08.09 (resized).jpg2016-12-29 11.08.09 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

3) Which transistor would I purchase? I'm having problems finding one searching the numbers on the part.

I'm pretty sure I found the correct part: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12N10L

Anyone have insight on the other questions?

#3 7 years ago

It is possible the previous owner left the transistor out because something in the circuit kept burning it up. No reason why you couldn't put it back in but if there was something wrong you would need to figure out exactly what is wrong. I think at very least I would take an ohms reading on the coil and make sure the coil isn't shorted. I am not sure what coil is in there but you could take a reading from another identical coil in the game and the reading should be the same. If after you replace the transistor and the coil get stuck on, turn the game off immediately. Whatever is driving the transistor is likely stuck on. You will need to back track from that transistor point and investigate.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

It is possible the previous owner left the transistor out because something in the circuit kept burning it up. No reason why you couldn't put it back in but if there was something wrong you would need to figure out exactly what is wrong. I think at very least I would take an ohms reading on the coil and make sure the coil isn't shorted. I am not sure what coil is in there but you could take a reading from another identical coil in the game and the reading should be the same. If after you replace the transistor and the coil get stuck on, turn the game off immediately. Whatever is driving the transistor is likely stuck on. You will need to back track from that transistor point and investigate.

Infield repair maybe, Not having one on hand, Could have used it in a pinch for another more important coil at the time.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

I think at very least I would take an ohms reading on the coil and make sure the coil isn't shorted. I am not sure what coil is in there but you could take a reading from another identical coil in the game and the reading should be the same.

I checked the ohms on the coil without a transistor in (not sure if that makes a difference, sorry- still learning on the electrical side). It came to 11.6. I didn't have another similar coil in the game to compare to, but the coil appears to be a Gottlieb A-5195. When I looked up the coil online, it says it should be 11.6ohms, so I'm guessing the coil is fine. That said, I think I'll order the transistor (thanks for the cheaper link!) and go from there.

#7 7 years ago

For the cost, you may as well order a few, in case you were not already planning to do so.
I had a pin that had one removed from the sound circuit and used elsewhere, I think it's pretty common practice.

#8 7 years ago

They might have borrowed the knocker transistor to fix a more important feature. I see that done often.

#9 7 years ago

Thought I'd provide a quick update- got the transistor in the mail today, soldered it in, everything appears to be working as it should now. That knocker is loud!

Also- the infield repair hunch was accurate- I was able to see which transistor was resoldered in to fix a different one that must have gone. I bought a few extras so if I ever need it, i have them without needing to infield repair.

Thank you all again. Happy New Year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/driver-board-transistor-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.