4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Revenge from Mars - Had problems with back box monitor, that was repaired. Unknown to me, the repair place broke off the only key I had in the lock. Never noticed the problem when I got the back box back. They gave me a fake set of keys. The lock on top next to the translite.

Go on line here....got the tips on drilling out lock. Also looked on line. When everyone else has done the drill out, it was easy. Of course, when I try it, it is turning into a nightmare. Bit broke off inside lock. Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen? I could probably get to the lock from the back side, …..if.....I drill out the lock on the back side, making the work double.

Help appreciated......

#2 4 years ago

Wow, what repair place was it?

Use a large drill bit, rather than a small one. You should be trying to drill out the entire barrel of the lock.

Otherwise, a small bit will catch on the keyhole opening and snap off.

#3 4 years ago

I hate......absolutely hate to give my stuff over to others. Only when absolutely necessary.

I was using a larger bit on the lock and that larger bit broke off and is stuck in the lock. So I can't really drill out a drill bit that is stuck in there......

#4 4 years ago

If the correct key is broken off inside the lock, you should be able to open it with a slot screwdriver.

#5 4 years ago

Might be too late for this since you've now got a broken key and drill bit in there. But here's something I saw on reddit the other day just in case ..
    https://old.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comments/e3mpm8/broke_your_key_and_dont_want_to_spend_100_on_a/

#6 4 years ago

Tried that. Did not open. Great guess. At this point, that is not an option.

#7 4 years ago

For the last post, that was interesting...….Since I have a bit that is lodged in there.....don't think that will be strong enough.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Patentlaw:

At this point, that is not an option.

The lock body is most likely brass. 1/4" drill bit, go on the other side of the key/broken off drill bit. Punch through if you can. Then go bigger if you can, and wiggle the drill back and forth to gouge out the lock body.

LTG : )

#9 4 years ago

Be careful when drilling early solid state locks that are in the side of the head.

With too big a bit you can go thru the lock and into the cross bar and render it useless. They are also not too easy to find.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Be careful when drilling early solid state locks that are in the side of the head.
    With too big a bit you can go thru the lock and into the cross bar and render it useless. They are also not too easy to find.

It's an RFM backbox in this case, so it's just the lock and the cam, fortunately.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drilling-out-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.