New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 281966)

Drilling into Addams Family CPR Playfield

By Prouddadx3

10 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Prouddadx3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 days ago

Getting ready to do my first playfield swap. All prayers are welcome and if you live in Denver your welcome to the show. On the CPR website they give these directions for drilling or screwing into the playfield. "It is highly recommended to use a small BRAD-TIPPED drill bit to “start” the dimples. This prevents screw-splitting the new wood. Always use a bit size that is 20 to 40% smaller than the screw diameter itself. The screw needs something left to bite into."

Vid"s guide says to pre drill all the post holes. He does not mention the Brad-Tipped bit. I was thinking of just matching the post hole size on the old playfield. Have you guys found a certain size or type of bit that works best? I bought some collars to keep the bit from going to far. How deep do you drill? Vid also says to use a bit slightly larger than the screw which seems to be the opposite of CPR. I've built two rotisseries and have the playfields ready to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

#2 10 days ago

You use the larger than the screw bit just to cut through the clearcoat. Then a smaller bit to open the dimple but not much. If you send screw in without cutting through the clear it will spider on you. I usually drill with a drill stop & dont go to far in. Hope this helps.

#3 10 days ago

Thanks that makes a lot more sense. How high up do you typically put the collar? Would you use the Brad bit first to cut through the clear coat or just a larger than screw regular bit?

#4 10 days ago

In Vid1900 guide https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-re-populating-playfields#post-4526507 . He states a hole about 2mm deep even though the section is about reinstalling wire guides, he references for post holes also. I think there is also some play field install information on Ron Kruzmans thread. I see vid1900 guide he shows metric drill bits, I wonder if there are smaller increments in those that might be closer to the smaller holes needed like 1/16 to 3/16 for screws and posts.

#5 10 days ago

Worth a watch.

#6 10 days ago
Quoted from Prouddadx3:

Thanks that makes a lot more sense. How high up do you typically put the collar? Would you use the Brad bit first to cut through the clear coat or just a larger than screw regular bit?

Brad bit for clearcoat, a regular bit may walk on you. Let the bit do the work, I do this with a hand drill. Depth is very shallow. Ron Kruzmans kit is awesome.

#7 10 days ago

Thanks for the awesome replies and Video. I thought I had found all the videos except for a group that The Drewster has, which people raved about, unfortunately the links are dead. Has anybody found his videos archived anywhere?

#8 10 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide

Any plans to post your progress in a new thread, so we can watch along?

-mof

#9 10 days ago

Mini hand drill 08C03.03 recommended by a fellow Pinsider

https://www.garrettwade.com/beautiful-german-made-hand-drills-gp.html

Very well made. Better control than going battery operated.

#10 10 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Mini hand drill 08C03.03 recommended by a fellow Pinsider
https://www.garrettwade.com/beautiful-german-made-hand-drills-gp.html
Very well made. Better control than going battery operated.

Those are actually antiques. I had no idea they were still being made. You can still find them in antiques shops all over the northeast here.

#11 9 days ago

I'm considering doing a thread from the perspective of a newbie playfield swap. Trying to simplify the process Playfield swap for dummies.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside