7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PNBLWZD
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Have a 20+ year old NOS ramp that needs a few more holes in it, some of the mounting holes are missing for some reason. I'm a bit terrified of destroying it, figure it's probably more brittle than it was 20 years ago. What's the proper way to drill it out without cracking it? I really don't want to destroy a new $90 ramp. Was thinking drill press, sharp metal working drill bit, and backer block of wood? Any suggestions or tips welcome, thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Well I have never attempted what you are doing however I can say that drill slow (like do not push on the drill much) and have a backer block of wood, that is essential.

#3 7 years ago

Use a "brad point" drill bit - there will be less potential for chipping due to the "wings" on the outer edges of the bit.

#4 7 years ago

Search "tap plastics" for drill bits for plastic, the cutting edge is at a much steeper angle, (60 degrees).

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Out-West:

Search "tap plastics" for drill bits for plastic, the cutting edge is at a much steeper angle, (60 degrees).

Awesome, and they even have a handy 'how to drill plastics' PDF on the bits page. Thank you very much!

#6 7 years ago

You could always burn the hole thru by heating a drill bit with a propane torch then just push it slowly thru, then you can clean the hole with a chamfer tool.

#7 7 years ago

Do a search for drill reamer, they are used for drilling holes in composite materials. Safer for the material being worked and makes a much cleaner rounder hole

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drilling-holes-in-nos-butyrate-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.