• Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F12D59D4-7956-4B08-B2E8-71880D5E1C53 (resized).jpeg
51XRdRq0SxL._AC_SX679_ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MT45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I’m starting a Harlem restore with a new CPR playfield. Wondering if any of you know if the wire ball guides need drilling to size before hammering them in? I know I need to remove the excess clear first with either a Brad point bit or a hand countersink tool but does the hole itself need to be drilled out to size?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Yes they are usually too small, a drill bit equal to the size of the wire guide is good but only drill a tiny way down, once you have an eight of an inch or so of the wire guide in the playfield you can tap it the rest of the way in.

Quoted from tjc02002:

ditto what xenon said. Just did HGT playfield myself. I pre-drilled like this and I still got 1 tiny spot that clearcoat separated. not noticeable though.

Thx guys, this is enormously helpful

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep.
Are there any you're going to have to drill from scratch on there?

Don't think so. But I'll be removing the clear from around every hole.
For holes intended for machine screws I just use the hand held countersink tool to remove just enough clear to allow the machine screw to slip in
For holes intended for wood screws, I'll need to do the above and drill out the CPR hole to the appropriate diameter using my Brad point bits

51XRdRq0SxL._AC_SX679_ (resized).jpg51XRdRq0SxL._AC_SX679_ (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

Hey guys ... thought I'd send a few more questions your way:
Answer one or all!

1) Did you drill out the holes on the bottom of the PF that hold bulbs/mechs - or just screw them into the pre-drilled holes?
-
2) When you are reaming/removing the clear from around the holes in the PF top before screwing down a post, are you adding glue (like Ron Kruzman does to seal edges of newly cut clear at hole) or is it "good enough" in your opinion to simply get the clear out of the way so it doesnt lift?
-
3) When you remove that extra clear around the pop bumper screws holes, are you also removing enough so the head (which is pretty large) is not contacting clear coat as it is tightened down? Reason for this question is I'm wondering the impact of that head being pulled down into the PF as I tighten the nut under the PF - might crack that clearcoat.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

2) When you are reaming/removing the clear from around the holes in the PF top before screwing down a post, are you adding glue (like Ron Kruzman does to seal edges of newly cut clear at hole) or is it "good enough" in your opinion to simply get the clear out of the way so it doesnt lift?
-
3) When you remove that extra clear around the pop bumper screws holes, are you also removing enough so the head (which is pretty large) is not contacting clear coat as it is tightened down? Reason for this question is I'm wondering the impact of that head being pulled down into the PF as I tighten the nut under the PF - might crack that clearcoat.

Bumping for some answers to Qs #2 and #3 - any opinions or advice out there?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MT45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drill-cpr-wire-ball-guides?tu=MT45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.